The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Japanese Bantam Scouted

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Says the guy who wrote this epic post below. You have no right to talk.

I still stand by that 100%. It's like when they show peoples heights that are short they use their height on skates that's just how it works.

4 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Being the best player in a Japanese league is like being the best adult in a kid's street hockey game. It don't mean much beyond that. 

Naw, he trained with Barber because his stickhandling skills were special. As a little boy playing non-contact hockey, he was as good as any Canadian player in his age group. He is an impressive talent from a skills perspective...

He's just incredibly small and plays in a non-competitive league. The future doesn't bode well for somebody with that body type, regardless of skill level.

18 hours ago, peaches5 said:

I still stand by that 100%. It's like when they show peoples heights that are short they use their height on skates that's just how it works.

What a foolish statement. You were better off just admitting you were wrong and that you knew nothing about what you were talking about at the time.

But now, it looks like you THINK you know what you're talking about, without having any idea that you're wrong. The worst kind.

FYI, you know nothing about water retention, nutrition or hockey in general. You can stand by something 100 percent, but if you don't know why you do it, that is something you should look into.

THINK for crying out loud.

Edited by Dazzle

41 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

What a foolish statement. You were better off just admitting you were wrong and that you knew nothing about what you were talking about at the time.

But now, it looks like you THINK you know what you're talking about, without having any idea that you're wrong. The worst kind.

FYI, you know nothing about water retention, nutrition or hockey in general. You can stand by something 100 percent, but if you don't know why you do it, that is something you should look into.

THINK for crying out loud.

I wasn't wrong.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I hope he makes it. I've visited Japan a few times, and they're pretty serious with skating in their skating clubs. That said, competition matters, and size matters in competition. When my son tried out for Team BC, there were all of these skilled but small North Shore Winter Club and Burnaby Winter Club players that were completely dominated by other much bigger players. The average D-men height in Team BC ended up being around 6'2" while the forwards were around 6'0". And during the tournament, Team BC didn't do that well against the other provinces - I believe Team Ontario beat them handily.

16 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

He is listed at 5'2" and 112 pounds. That's the same size as one of Zdeno Chara's legs. Needless to say, he is unlikely to play in the USHL. 

3 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

this guys a midget

He has 3 years to grow. Cole Caufield was barely 5'6 150 last year and grew to 5'7 163 in one year. It's not impossible.

• Cheers 2

The problem with Japan hockey is that it's pretty much regional (in Hokkaido) and unlike other winter and olympic sports, their federation actually doesn't receive any government funding.  I believe they have like 20000+ registered players in Japan.

The only way hockey will ever gain a traction in Japan is if the KHL expands to Tokyo or Sapporo.  It already makes as much sense as the KHL in Beijing, except Japanese people has more spending power.  

• 4 weeks later...

Drafted 49th overall by the London Lakers of the GMHL (Junior A)

Since he is only 15 he likely plays another year in Japan High School before coming to N/A. He now has 2 options to play in either the USA or Canada. I'm guessing the GMHL is most likely since it's slightly lower tier than USHL hockey, however players in both leagues usually end up playing college hockey.

Edited by Baer.
  • Upvote 1