Sign in to follow this  
BoKnows

Bodybuilding/Powerlifting/Weightlifting

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

This guy skipped his entire body, not just legs. 

Lol yeah I know I was skeptical with posting it because of that, still his legs are pinner but he ain't no body builder either lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

body building is the last thing from my mind, just got back into the gym....trying to lose this 65lb keg off my body. So cardio and some weights but need to eat healthy foods only and not much calories to drop the 65lbs I am hoping to.

 

Any suggestions for achieving it, buddy of mine told me it would take about a year to lose that much while be very strict with what goes in my body

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

 Aim to keep protein high , the 1lb protein per pound is blown out of proportion imo it’s probably more like 0.7-0.8/lb.

Ronnie says to aim for 2lb :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2019 at 6:34 PM, Canuckster86 said:

body building is the last thing from my mind, just got back into the gym....trying to lose this 65lb keg off my body. So cardio and some weights but need to eat healthy foods only and not much calories to drop the 65lbs I am hoping to.

 

Any suggestions for achieving it, buddy of mine told me it would take about a year to lose that much while be very strict with what goes in my body

Here’s the little bit that I know..

 

1) eat slowwwwly - it takes about 20 minutes for a body to start feeling full after starting to eat

 

2) try to stop eating when you feel about 80% full. It’s okay to be a tiny bit hungry - not enough where you’re craving food, just enough where you’re not quite full.

 

honestly, I’d start there and then focus on what you’re eating. Also, don’t overhaul your eating all at once. What worked for me was slow changes over time so that it became a lifestyle as opposed to a diet.

Edited by babych
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, babych said:

Here’s the little bit that I know..

 

1) eat slowwwwly - it takes about 20 minutes for a body to start feeling full after starting to eat

 

2) try to stop eating when you feel about 80% full. It’s okay to be a tiny bit hungry - not enough where you’re craving food, just enough where you’re not quite full.

 

honestly, I’d start there and then focus on what you’re eating. Also, don’t overhaul your eating all at once. What worked for me was slow changes over time so that it became a lifestyle as opposed to a diet.

thanks for the feedback. Good idea about small changes so it doesnt feel or seem like a full on a diet but more of a lifestyle change like you said

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2019 at 5:34 PM, Canuckster86 said:

body building is the last thing from my mind, just got back into the gym....trying to lose this 65lb keg off my body. So cardio and some weights but need to eat healthy foods only and not much calories to drop the 65lbs I am hoping to.

 

Any suggestions for achieving it, buddy of mine told me it would take about a year to lose that much while be very strict with what goes in my body

If you drink only water, and honestly once you get used to drinking only water you don't really want anything else, you'll lose the weight pretty quickly. This is pretty difficult for most people but its something that is very simple to actually cut calories and lose weight. If you drink like 3-4 cups of juice a day or beers or whatever that is at least 300-400 calories gone and it's likely a lot more than that. 

 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/drinking-water-helps-with-weight-loss

Quote


Most of the studies listed below looked at the effect of drinking one, 0.5 liter (17 oz) serving of water.

Drinking water increases the amount of calories you burn, which is known as resting energy expenditure (4).

In adults, resting energy expenditure has been shown to increase by 24–30% within 10 minutes of drinking water. This lasts at least 60 minutes (5, 6).

Supporting this, one study of overweight and obese children found a 25% increase in resting energy expenditure after drinking cold water (7).

A study of overweight women examined the effects of increasing water intake to over 1 liter (34 oz) per day. They found that over a 12-month period, this resulted in an extra 2 kg (4.4 lbs) of weight loss (8).

Since these women didn't make any lifestyle changes except to drink more water, these results are very impressive.

Additionally, both of these studies indicate that drinking 0.5 liters (17 oz) of water results in an extra 23 calories burned. On a yearly basis, that sums up to roughly 17,000 calories — or over 2 kg (4.4 lbs) of fat.

Several other studies have monitored overweight people who drank 1-1.5 liters (34–50 oz) of water daily for a few weeks. They found a significant reduction in weight, body mass index (BMI), waist circumference and body fat (8, 9, 10).

These results may be even more impressive when the water is cold. When you drink cold water, your body uses extra calories to warm the water up to body temperature.

 

1

No lifestyle changes just drinking 1-1.5L of water daily. If you change your lifestyle and drink strictly water you will lose significantly more weight.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2019 at 10:55 AM, Silky mitts said:

It comes down to calories . So once you figure out your maintenance calories , eating in a surplus would cause you to gain weight. (Bulk). Eating in a deficit would cause you to lose weight (cut). Ideally for cut and bulk I would say around 500 calories is a good number to either subtract or add to ur maintenance calories depending on you goals.  Aim to keep protein high , the 1lb protein per pound is blown out of proportion imo it’s probably more like 0.7-0.8/lb.

 

Feel free to ask more questions , or some clarification if needed . Cheers.

That makes perfect sense. The last couple years I've been maintaining my weight fairly consistently after losing about 30lbs - I'm not a big guy so going from 180ish to 150 was pretty huge! I never really counted calories before - I relied on eating sensibly and exercise to maintain my size and shape. Recently I started to use the myfitnesspal app bc I want to keep a better track of my macros, sodium intake, etc.

 

My plan is to cut down to 145ish and then increase my calories and add some more lean muscle. I appreciate the advice!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

thanks for the feedback. Good idea about small changes so it doesnt feel or seem like a full on a diet but more of a lifestyle change like you said

 

4 hours ago, peaches5 said:

If you drink only water, and honestly once you get used to drinking only water you don't really want anything else, you'll lose the weight pretty quickly. This is pretty difficult for most people but its something that is very simple to actually cut calories and lose weight. If you drink like 3-4 cups of juice a day or beers or whatever that is at least 300-400 calories gone and it's likely a lot more than that. 

 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/drinking-water-helps-with-weight-loss

No lifestyle changes just drinking 1-1.5L of water daily. If you change your lifestyle and drink strictly water you will lose significantly more weight.

 

This is also really good advice. I don't where you're starting from, weight-wise, but I noticed a huge change when I cut out drinking calories. Three years ago I was quite round - I'm 5'6" and weighed about 180. I started changing my eating habits slowly - I was looking for a sustainable lifestyle, not a diet - and exercising regularly and got down to 162, where I stayed for about a year. Then, I cut out drinking calories and, with the same lifestyle, I dropped to 150 and have been there for the last year.

 

The great thing is that it's very sustainable now - I eat when I'm hungry and just try to make better choices. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, babych said:

 

This is also really good advice. I don't where you're starting from, weight-wise, but I noticed a huge change when I cut out drinking calories. Three years ago I was quite round - I'm 5'6" and weighed about 180. I started changing my eating habits slowly - I was looking for a sustainable lifestyle, not a diet - and exercising regularly and got down to 162, where I stayed for about a year. Then, I cut out drinking calories and, with the same lifestyle, I dropped to 150 and have been there for the last year.

 

The great thing is that it's very sustainable now - I eat when I'm hungry and just try to make better choices. 

I am 6'2  and 265 lb right now. 190-200 is the ideal goal weight I would like to achieve

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, babych said:

 

This is also really good advice. I don't where you're starting from, weight-wise, but I noticed a huge change when I cut out drinking calories. Three years ago I was quite round - I'm 5'6" and weighed about 180. I started changing my eating habits slowly - I was looking for a sustainable lifestyle, not a diet - and exercising regularly and got down to 162, where I stayed for about a year. Then, I cut out drinking calories and, with the same lifestyle, I dropped to 150 and have been there for the last year.

 

The great thing is that it's very sustainable now - I eat when I'm hungry and just try to make better choices. 

I'm about your height and want to get to 150 as well, but I'm 18 pounds too light. The good news is that I have a low fat %, so the weight I have is muscle, which is what I am focusing on building now. It's hard to work your way up, but I think I can do it :p

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a tough time putting on muscle mass but I gain strength pretty easy. I’m 5’10 165 roughly 11% body fat. Any advice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are some good foods to eat to gain weight and help with muscle building? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, c00kies said:

What are some good foods to eat to gain weight and help with muscle building? 

Chicken & Rice. 

I also like Mass Gainer shakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2019 at 6:34 PM, Canuckster86 said:body building is the last thing from my mind, just got back into the gym....trying to lose this 65lb keg off my body. So cardio and some weights but need to eat healthy foods only and not much calories to drop the 65lbs I am hoping to.

 

Any suggestions for achieving it, buddy of mine told me it would take about a year to lose that much while be very strict with what goes in my body

Just tell the h03s you’re a powerlifter till the fats melted.  

 

Caloric deficit, track your macros, resistance training 3-4 times a week, addition light cardio (walks, hikes) on rest days consistently and you’ll be fine. If you think you’re not losing quick enough take before and after pics..you’ll see the difference. Slow and steady ftw.

5 hours ago, c00kies said:

What are some good foods to eat to gain weight and help with muscle building? 

300cal surplus w/ good macro split. 

 

&& cookies...definitely cookies!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, c00kies said:

What are some good foods to eat to gain weight and help with muscle building? 

I put a bit of olive oil on food and in shakes. Easy way to add calories without feeling too full all the time. I don’t have a big appetite so I struggle to eat enough to gain weight but this makes it very doable. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.