The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] ALEX BIEGA 3RD D PAIR

is it worth to start biega as a starting Defense man next season. the man is on a 30 point season if he would of play a full 82 game (27 GP , 2G , 9A) he currently out playing player like Pouliot, (Former) gudbranson as a bottom pairing D, once Hughes/ maybe Juolevi come in for next year the 2020 defense look like something like this ?

Elder/Tanev hughes

UFA/Tanev / Hutton/stecher

Biega/UFA / Hutton (Juolevi if healthy)

ex Juolevi or Biega 

He is signed, and has been getting better the more he is played.  I expect him to make the team out of camp next season.  Same role.  Bottom guy, fills in like a champ when needed.  Its what he has done, well, since breaking into the league very late in terms of NHL careers.  Happy for the guy, and its nice to see him growing still as a player at his age.

5 minutes ago, xereau said:

He is signed, and has been getting better the more he is played.  I expect him to make the team out of camp next season.  Same role.  Bottom guy, fills in like a champ when needed.  Its what he has done, well, since breaking into the league very late in terms of NHL careers.  Happy for the guy, and its nice to see him growing still as a player at his age.

Amen.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, he's the perfect #8 d-man.  A guy that you don't have to worry about lack of development but will give it his all plus a different but reliable look when he does slot in.

Honestly, I don't hate him as the 7th or 8th d-man. He's good enough to be a filler and having him sit on the bench doesn't affect other players development. He seems happy in the role.

I don't expect Derrick Pouliot to return.

He's making a case for it IMO. His production is miles better than it's ever been and he provides plenty of energy. He does lack some good positioning at times though. I think of him as a hard-working Pouliot. Decent offensively, but can be caught at bad times defensively. Still, I do hope we're good enough that he's not a bottom pairing guy next year, but for now, I like him there yeah.

7 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Here's the thing with bulldog.  He had a monster game every 5 outings. The other 4 hes a liability. If we got this biega every night he'd be a top 4 guy.

I agree with this. That makes Biega a great option at #7. A guy who can slot in every 4, 5 games and have a great game for us and contribute to a win.

Next year D core barring any trade involving Tanev and assuming Edler re-signs will be,

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Hutton-Open

Biega

My guess is we will sign one of the UFA defencemen. Benning wants to revamp the defence this summer. I wouldn't be surprised if he throws 13 mil x 7 years towards Karlsson. If that fails, he might throw 5 years x7 mil at Myers, which I don't know is a good idea because of the term.

Is it just me or Biega always has his best moments from February to April...when the team is basically eliminated.  Is it because he doesn't get a true shot before that? Or teams are taking it easy on him and the Canucks when we fade away towards the end?

I think the games speed right now demands you have a player like Biega at least for depth if not in the regular lineup.

And as the OP mentions his stats say NHL. 27 GP 11 points and +4 That puts him in a tie for 138th in the NHL

31 team x 6 regular defensman is 186, so Biega's points totals definitely rank him in the ranks of NHL regulars...

Hard to argue he isn't deserving... sure points aren't eveything... but he has speed, work ethic to boot.

10 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Here's the thing with bulldog.  He had a monster game every 5 outings. The other 4 hes a liability. If we got this biega every night he'd be a top 4 guy.

Exactly right. He can't be counted on night in night out. Every time he looks good for a game, this kind of thread pops up. But everyone loves the underdog.

I wish the whole Canuck team played with Biega's fire and tenacity.  He may lack size and some skill but he makes up for it with his energy.  If it came down to him or Pouliot I would keep Biega.  Oh look who gave the puck away, again, on one of the Leafs goals last night.  

Sorry to say it but we need to overhaul this defense,I'm not trying to be mean or cruel but in this day and age you need the back end to help drive the play and put up some points.Putting up some points is the key here,you can skate all you want but if you can't make the proper pass at the right time or put the biscuit in the basket,you had better be a beast in your own end.

Having played defense I know that one little boo boo and you stick out like a sour thumb,it happens to the best of them .but not constantly.

A NORRIS TROPHY WINNING DEFENSE MAN,

WOW OUR FIRST IN FIFTY YEARS,

WOULDN'T THAT BE NICE.

Keep drafting defense men, we are bound to hit the jack-pot sooner or later.

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

I like Bulldog, but I really hope Chatfield or even Woo can beat him out next season.

Happy to have him as a #8, but ideally the younger dmen step up. Would be a good sign for the future of the team.

Ideally I’d agree with that but with Tanev and Edler likely out for a good number of games (as they’re prone to get injured every season), that moves everyone up the depth chart.  Maybe even one or both Hughes and Woo in a top 4 spot.  Too early I think for either of those two prospects.  Stecher and Hutton showed they could at least temporarily handle the increased minutes together but that leaves the other 2nd pairing spot needed to be filled.  Especially important not to have too green a blueline with Demko likely to get a lot more starts next season.

Biega is great eat at a #7 as he’s pretty much as good as he’s going to get (so you aren’t wasting him/stunting his development sitting in the press box until needed if an injury happens.

Archived