Sign in to follow this  
Monkeyking

[Discussion] ALEX BIEGA 3RD D PAIR

Biega is at best a 7th D.

People are sleeping on Woo, my bet is he will be in the NHL next year, and if he's not, 100% the year after. 

Biega is the perfect extra D at this stage in his career.  While Biega fills in admirably most of the time and seems to be a well liked teammate, he has his limitations and I would be shocked if management sees him as a full-time NHLer.  With all due respect to Biega, if the Canucks waltz into 2019-2020 with Tanev, Stecher and Biega as their top-3 RHD, then I think they're in for another rough year.  It will be inexcusable in an offseason where Myers is available and where there may even be options in the trade market.

For example, I fully expect the Jets to move Byfuglien as he takes up a lot of cap space and they need to re-sign a large number of their young core.  Even though Byfuglien has had trouble staying healthy this season and missed a fair number of games last season, he's still an effective two-way D and a physical deterrent.

With the addition of Spooner and Pearson, I have no idea what the Canucks intend to do this summer.  That's $6.85M in cap space tied up in two players that have struggled this season.  Add in Baertschi ($3.36M) who may or may not come back from his concussion symptoms and Sutter ($4.375M) who looks to be on the trade block this summer, it's a mystery to me how the team plans to round out the forward corps this summer.  Having said that, I would not mind if they take a run at picking up Byfuglien and a high pick if the Jets need to clear cap space.  I have written before that I think Byfuglien may be a good D partner for Hughes and he comes with a great deal of winning experience that might be invaluable for the Canucks.

I've been noticing him the last two weeks for the right reason. He's finishing his checks, playing hard and putting up points. I know he has his brain farts but possibly a steady tanev type on his left could balance out the pairing. 

I'm torn between him and Stetcher. Yeah Stetcher is better defensively but Biega plays harder and is showing improvements. Something has to give for next year. Tanev is showing his age and needs to play less minutes and Biega is showing he can be that third pairing. He is also used to the back and forth and never fusses so if another guy comes along Biega knows his role.

I'm thinking go for Myers and try to move Stetcher out for a pick and possibly try 

Biega is having a Cinderella run offensively right now. But let's be real, he is an undersized yet hard working player who is a fill in D at the NHL level. on our team when healthy he should be a #7. On lots of teams he would be in the AHL and be #8 or 9. Give him credit he is always ready and when he gets in the line up after a long stint sitting he always shows up to play.

This is a great story of a D who had to work extremely hard, played 4 years in College and is now living the dream we all have of playing in the NHL. He will not make a ton of $ but he should be able to retire comfortably after his pro hockey career is over. He is signed through next season, which is nice for both parties.

Depends what our GM does at the draft and in FA, but Biega could get pushed down the peg board again come training camp and is a likely player to get put on waivers again in the fall. He has always cleared but maybe a team will take a flyer on him based on his production this season. But that is getting ahead of our selves.

When Tanev returns I guess Schenn will be the guy coming out, not Biega. Even though I have liked what I have seen from Schenn, yes his foot speed is not the best but his passes are good and he brings some grit to a rather gritless team

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Biega is having a Cinderella run offensively right now. But let's be real, he is an undersized yet hard working player who is a fill in D at the NHL level. on our team when healthy he should be a #7. On lots of teams he would be in the AHL and be #8 or 9. Give him credit he is always ready and when he gets in the line up after a long stint sitting he always shows up to play.

This is a great story of a D who had to work extremely hard, played 4 years in College and is now living the dream we all have of playing in the NHL. He will not make a ton of $ but he should be able to retire comfortably after his pro hockey career is over. He is signed through next season, which is nice for both parties.

Depends what our GM does at the draft and in FA, but Biega could get pushed down the peg board again come training camp and is a likely player to get put on waivers again in the fall. He has always cleared but maybe a team will take a flyer on him based on his production this season. But that is getting ahead of our selves.

When Tanev returns I guess Schenn will be the guy coming out, not Biega. Even though I have liked what I have seen from Schenn, yes his foot speed is not the best but his passes are good and he brings some grit to a rather gritless team

He's not really undersized. Sure he's only 5'10" but he's 199 pounds

Crosby isn't considered small, he 5'11" at 200 pounds

I absolutely %1000 think we need to have the Bulldog as a regular. 

Give him a similar contract as Mayfield got... 5 years 1.45AAV.

Maybe the bulldog will agree to 2-5 years at 1.25AAV? 

You absolutely need money puck guys like Biega... Give him a long term deal like Mayfield to give him the career security and ease of mind. He'll flourish 

5 hours ago, apollo said:

I absolutely %1000 think we need to have the Bulldog as a regular. 

Give him a similar contract as Mayfield got... 5 years 1.45AAV.

Maybe the bulldog will agree to 2-5 years at 1.25AAV? 

You absolutely need money puck guys like Biega... Give him a long term deal like Mayfield to give him the career security and ease of mind. He'll flourish 

Totally agree with you, lock him in to a Mayfield deal will make other teams reconsider taking him on if he's waived and if he shows he can be a solid number 6 then You have a defenseman on an amazing contract with tern. I also think his work ethic could be contagious in the locker room for some of the young d coming up like juolevi. 

• Hydration 1

2 hours ago, Jav_11 said:

Totally agree with you, lock him in to a Mayfield deal will make other teams reconsider taking him on if he's waived and if he shows he can be a solid number 6 then You have a defenseman on an amazing contract with tern. I also think his work ethic could be contagious in the locker room for some of the young d coming up like juolevi. 

Exactly. It's such a low risk move too... Assuming he accepts 1.25, in any event of us waiving him and having him in the AHL we'll only face a 350k cap hit penalty 

He strikes me as the kinda guy that just needs the reassurance of a contract. Show some confidence in him and it will pay dividends. Solid bottom pair guy with top 4 potential.