You know the rules and so do I
A full commitment's what I'm thinking of
You wouldn't get this from any other guy

We've known each other for so long
Your heart's been aching but you're too shy to say it
Inside we both know what's been going on
We know the game and we're gonna play it

2 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

I'm sure that Green doesn't mind Paterson personally, but boy..super annoying.

Patterson loves to criticize the team and pick apart every little mistake that was made during the game. Also his questions are always so long winded. He's like the sports media version of Jim Accosta. I can see why TG wouldn't like him. I don't like him much either!

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Eriksson's level of compete and effort is pretty pathetic. A so called veteran F who was likely going to be relied on as a leader has been a no show going on 3 years now. I think most people who want us to lose most of the games are just wanting us to finish as low as possible for a higher guaranteed draft pick. we know how the draft lottery luck goes with us so be prepared to drop a couple spots.

Eriksson has been a staple on our shutdown lines which has given our young players more sheltered minutes to do their thing as they develop. He hasn't lived up to his contract and certainly was expected to produce more offensively, but his level compete and effort is hardly pathetic.

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Great line, and one I've wanted to see for a while. Also like seeing Gaud get to play with some more offensive players.  Well constructed lineup tonight IMO.

Agreed, though I would switch Goldy and Leivo personally. Pettersson needs to play with someone with above average offensive prowess who can accept one of his passes and get off a quick one timer. Nothing against Leivo I just think Goldy has more offensive talent.

Just now, theo5789 said:

Eriksson has been a staple on our shutdown lines which has given our young players more sheltered minutes to do their thing as they develop. He hasn't lived up to his contract and certainly was expected to produce more offensively, but his level compete and effort is hardly pathetic.

We all are entitled to our opinions. Dud signing waste of 6m cap space, lets hope the new Edler deal wont hurt us financially when his cap hit is the same as his current deal or higher and he gets all his ntc protection he wants from the overpaying GM

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Oh yeah, Erickson has been great! I hope they extend his contract for another 4 years.:P

/sarcasm

Seriously though, I know what you are trying to do. You're trying to justify his value knowing we are stuck with him for at least one more year until his modified NTC kicks in. The reality is guys like Motte and Beagle are doing a fine job in a 4th line shut down role while making significantly less and LE could be replaced on that line by an AHL'er and hardly anyone would notice.

5 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

We all are entitled to our opinions. Dud signing waste of 6m cap space, lets hope the new Edler deal wont hurt us financially when his cap hit is the same as his current deal or higher and he gets all his ntc protection he wants from the overpaying GM

I said he wasn't worth his contract, but you questioned his effort and compete and I disagree with that. He lacked in one area and redefined his game to be an effective player in a different way. Better than some one dimensional players that becomes absolutely useless once the offense dries up.

The Edler extension has nothing to do with this and until it happens, one cannot judge it in advance. IMO though, Edler would be well worth his current deal if extended at the same rate even with a NTC.

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

I don't understand statements like this. He's overcompensated for what he brings no question but he isn't 100% overcompensated. Even if you argues he's playing at a league min. level that's only 6.0-.65= 5.35 million waste. You're entitled to your opinion but hyperbole is only going to get that opinion dismissed as ignorant by any non-moron. My opinion is that he is ~3 mil. overpaid at this point which is not good but far from total waste.

Just now, CptCanuck16 said:

Oh yeah, Erickson has been great! I hope they extend his contract for another 4 years.:P

/sarcasm

Seriously though, I know what you are trying to do. You're trying to justify his value knowing we are stuck with him for at least one more year until his modified NTC kicks in. The reality is guys like Motte and Beagle are doing a fine job in a 4th line shut down role while making significantly less and LE could be replaced on that line by an AHL'er and hardly anyone would notice.

When did I say he's been great? He's put himself in an effective role despite lacking in his offense in which he was brought in for. I've said he's not worth his contract, so I'm not sure where it is that I'm justifying his value. I've just said that his level of compete and effort is hardly pathetic as suggested by the other poster.

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

When did I say he's been great? He's put himself in an effective role despite lacking in his offense in which he was brought in for. I've said he's not worth his contract, so I'm not sure where it is that I'm justifying his value. I've just said that his level of compete and effort is hardly pathetic as suggested by the other poster.

Okay yeah, he's good in a shut down role but that wasn't what he was brought here for or what he's getting paid to do. How many other shutdown 4th liners in the league make $6m?

It's the equivalent of you or I hiring somebody who says they work for HR Block to do our taxes. We sign a contract with them at an accountants rate but when they show up it's discovered  they're not an accountant at all but merely the janitor for HR Block. Would you say, "oh well my taxes weren't done correctly but I've got the shiniest toilet bowl on the block and it only cost me $80 an hour", yeah probably not.

15 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Agree his level of compete and effort is not in question. Yes his offense is not where it should be but still has veteran presence and is not defensively liable. Would much rather have him then a Sedin with declining offensive ability and no defense what so ever.

4 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Okay yeah, he's good in a shut down role but that wasn't what he was brought here for or what he's getting paid to do. How many other shutdown 4th liners in the league make $6m?

It's the equivalent of you or I hiring somebody who says they work for HR Block to do our taxes. We sign a contract with them at an accountants rate but when they show up it's discovered  they're not an accountant at all but merely the janitor for HR Block. Would you say, "oh well my taxes weren't done correctly but I've got the shiniest toilet bowl on the block and it only cost me $80 an hour", yeah probably not.

But it's not your money. And the analogy doesn't even make sense really. He's still a hockey player and still provides hockey services. His scoring is lacking, but he does provide defensive stability. So he has some value to the team. The only person with any sort of actual money in Eriksson is Aquaman, so why are you so upset? Is it a waste of money, yes. Not my money and it won't be a waste when the team actually needs the money cause his contract expires then.

21 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

I don't understand statements like this. He's overcompensated for what he brings no question but he isn't 100% overcompensated. Even if you argues he's playing at a league min. level that's only 6.0-.65= 5.35 million waste. You're entitled to your opinion but hyperbole is only going to get that opinion dismissed as ignorant by any non-moron. My opinion is that he is ~3 mil. overpaid at this point which is not good but far from total waste.

100% overcompensated would be he would make $0 then right? He got paid to produced offensively, not forget how to score and become a 4th liner on one of the leagues weakest teams where he should easily be able to play as a top 6 forward and...produce.

Be happy when he is off the team, hopefully before his deal is up

1 hour ago, Mathew Barzal said:

The Ducks are rolling and they'll probably take down the Kings tomorrow. Big loss needed today. Get Pettersson a couple of points and call it a game. 

Plenty of guys playing for contracts, for pride, for the team, or even personal accomplishment. Mathmatically maybe even playoffs .

No such thing as giving up in the big league.

Archived