The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Guaranteed Draft Position? With Simulators, Current #8

TheGuardian_

Canucks will get a great 1st round player, Top 3 would be nice. but. if it’s not then JB has huge pressure cuz there’s so many options picking 4-10. Byram would be nice, so would Zegras.

This Draft is a huge one.

2nd round Canucks should also get a great player, Vlasic I hope we can pick up 2nd round but not likely. 

9 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

The Daft Stimulator?!..Fuhgettaboutit!

I'll say we get 3rd OA, which ain't shabby.

I'll have me some of that Nux.... It would be a fair consolation for losing the draft lottery every flipping year...

7 hours ago, runtzguy said:

Yeah, when I look at Hughes I notice his skating. But its not like its blazing speed. Also, his passing and shot isn't that great.

6 hours ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

Yeah his shot is really weak like Quinn’s.

Not trying to pick a fight here, but 18 out of 19 has Jack Hughes as no 1 pick ahead of Kakko...

While there could be a debate wether Hughes or Kakko should be no. 1, I wonder what makes just about everyone rank Hughes no. 1, if his skating is weak, his shot is weak and his passing is weak? Its not as if he is 8 ft monster that hits like a truck, so why would all bar 1 suggest Jack is the top pick?

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Not trying to pick a fight here, but 18 out of 19 has Jack Hughes as no 1 pick ahead of Kakko...

While there could be a debate wether Hughes or Kakko should be no. 1, I wonder what makes just about everyone rank Hughes no. 1, if his skating is weak, his shot is weak and his passing is weak? Its not as if he is 8 ft monster that hits like a truck, so why would all bar 1 suggest Jack is the top pick?

Yeah, I think you can make a case for picking Kakko 1st overall without making up false garbage about Jack Hughes. 

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

In a USA-heavy center-heavy draft I think the Canucks will finish 6th pick 5th and go away with a decent big center to give us Pettersson, Horvat, Gaudette and Cozens/Dach/Zegras down the middle going forward.

No slight to those players but the issue is on D, is there a Decent Defense man beyond Byram in the top 10?

Don’t care where we draft, as long as we pick the BPA at that spot.  OJ and JV were two misses that are hurting this teams rebuild hopes a lot at this point, Benning can’t afford (and the fans need a win too) this time around.  Another home run like EP would be a godsend.  

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

No slight to those players but the issue is on D, is there a Decent Defense man beyond Byram in the top 10?

If he can get a D prospect that’s close to his draft position then take it.  We still need wingers, and if he had a shot at a highly touted center that’s slipped and is their BPA then take him.  That would give them flexibility to move one to the wing, and then move him back if someone is injured, give Green options (maybe move EP to the wing and watch him explode for example) and trade options to get a D later too.  I’m not a fan of the positional pick, it comes with risks which we’ve seen twice out of five first round picks (ok six if you include Mccaan) at this point we can’t afford to wait four years to see a first round pick in the lineup need highly touted players that are close to NHL ready etc.   Second rounders can be used for this and should, on guys that have slipped from the first round and are still around.  Our defense is a priority no doubt, but so is our top six.  Can’t win many hockey games scoring 0-2 goals per game no matter how good the defense is.  

Hopefully we get our man, and he’s a defenseman that won’t take long...and that we don’t pass up something that will come back and haunt us.

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If he can get a D prospect that’s close to his draft position then take it.  We still need wingers, and if he had a shot at a highly touted center that’s slipped and is their BPA then take him.  That would give them flexibility to move one to the wing, and then move him back if someone is injured, give Green options (maybe move EP to the wing and watch him explode for example) and trade options to get a D later too.  I’m not a fan of the positional pick, it comes with risks which we’ve seen twice out of five first round picks (ok six if you include Mccaan) at this point we can’t afford to wait four years to see a first round pick in the lineup need highly touted players that are close to NHL ready etc.   Second rounders can be used for this and should, on guys that have slipped from the first round and are still around.  Our defense is a priority no doubt, but so is our top six.  Can’t win many hockey games scoring 0-2 goals per game no matter how good the defense is.  

Hopefully we get our man, and he’s a defenseman that won’t take long...and that we don’t pass up something that will come back and haunt us.

I agree on what you said except to point out that we have no choice but to wait for some prospects to develop more in three to five years. Trying to speed up any rebuild is a recipe for disaster.

Also the issue with the scoring is our D is terrible. I said it I blame the defense for the lack of scoring.

They cant move the puck fast enough to the forwards

They do not turn pucks over inside the offensive zone or at our blue line.

There is no point shot that gets through on the power play outside of Biega (and that's saying something)

Scoring comes from good defensive play turning the puck over, keeping it in at the blue line and jumping into the rush at the right time.

The forward group needs to help more on D also but its time our D added a few points of their own

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yeah, I think you can make a case for picking Kakko 1st overall without making up false garbage about Jack Hughes. 

How about this.  OJ was named defenseman of the WJs on the strength of I think 11 assists and one goals feeding Laine and Puljajrvi pucks.  Prior to that he was a mid to late first round pick and moved up to around 9.   One tournament shouldn’t matter as much as a body of work...45ish points on a loaded London team should be considered too.. Kakko had a great tournament no doubt, and the US floundered at the end.   J Hughes was still all over everyone throughout, the puck just didn’t go in as much.    It’s not the first time teams have read way too much into what happens after Xmas in this tournament, many teams have taken players over ones they should have, for us hopefully Benning has learned his lesson if for some reason we find ourselves in a position to get first overall.

1 minute ago, mikeyman109 said:

I agree on what you said except to point out that we have no choice but to wait for some prospects to develop more in three to five years. Trying to speed up any rebuild is a recipe for disaster.

Also the issue with the scoring is our D is terrible. I said it I blame the defense for the lack of scoring.

They cant move the puck fast enough to the forwards

They do not turn pucks over inside the offensive zone or at our blue line.

There is no point shot that gets through on the power play outside of Biega (and that's saying something)

Scoring comes from good defensive play turning the puck over, keeping it in at the blue line and jumping into the rush at the right time.

The forward group needs to help more on D also but its time our D added a few points of their own

Absolutely...my point is don’t pass on something as good as MT that might fall on your lap...and picking top ten a player shouldn’t take four years to get to the show if he does he’s a bust based on draft position alone.   OJ and JV were both in a recent article regarding top 25 first round busts since 2010, JV at 11, and OJ at 5.  These were both off board organizational or positional picks...we can’t afford one of these again.  I absolutely agree that defense is our worse position at the moment, but a top six winger isn’t far off, if you can get all but a guaranteed top line player or a maybe top four defenseman, and you know the forward can be added draft plus one (right away) or two (one year), and are uncertain how long the defenseman will take, pick the forward. 

And use your second rounder for a defenseman, just like Woo last year (who’s looking great so far). 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely...my point is don’t pass on something as good as MT that might fall on your lap...and picking top ten a player shouldn’t take four years to get to the show if he does he’s a bust based on draft position alone.   OJ and JV were both in a recent article regarding top 25 first round busts since 2010, JV at 11, and OJ at 5.  These were both off board organizational or positional picks...we can’t afford one of these again.  I absolutely agree that defense is our worse position at the moment, but a top six winger isn’t far off, if you can get all but a guaranteed top line player or a maybe top four defenseman, and you know the forward can be added draft plus one (right away) or two (one year), and are uncertain how long the defenseman will take, pick the forward. 

And use your second rounder for a defenseman, just like Woo last year (who’s looking great so far). 

I will say again without any proof there was most likely something said about not wanting to play in Vancouver by the tkachuck family. Dad didn't like the organization and the kid may have said that as well. I am not a fan of that family and their image. I am glad he isnt here but at least JB looked at what he needed to start developing. Defense

I am not as hard set on needing the player to be on the big club right away because i know D men can take longer to develop but the sooner the help arrives the better.

If Bowen Byram is there when we pick I would take him in the first round and then select a winger in the second round, but that's my opinion

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

No one said his skating is weak. He’s an elite skater with elite hands. Has a weak shot, but it’s quick and accurate. I’m just saying he’s no Patrik Kane and Kakko is putting up similar or better numbers than Barkov.

Scouts also had Pettersson outside the top 5......

8 hours ago, spook007 said:

Anyone who says his skating is weak hasn't watched him that much,  His skating is elite just like quinn's, his stride is so smooth and effortless that to the average fan, they might not realize how fast he's going.  His hands are off the charts and are able to keep up with his speed, but his best attribute is hockey IQ and vision as he's always two steps ahead of his competition.  He's basically a faster version of Patrick Kane, that can play center and has a stronger compete level...and that's why nearly every scout has him going #1 overall.

1 hour ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

No one said his skating is weak. He’s an elite skater with elite hands. Has a weak shot, but it’s quick and accurate. I’m just saying he’s no Patrik Kane and Kakko is putting up similar or better numbers than Barkov.

Scouts also had Pettersson outside the top 5......

I'd say at the same age, he's at the same level as Kane who went first overall in 2007. 

Also Kakko is putting up similar goal scoring numbers, but not point total numbers.  Barkov put up 48 points in 53 games. (.91p/gp).  Where Kakko only has 35 points in 43 games (0.81 p/gp).  Mikael Granlund has the best numbers by a U18 in that league where he put up 40 points in 43 games (0,93p/gp)

Archived