The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vegas Golden Knights at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 09, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Burke said that they would sign him but that makes sense. More then 9 games would just be dumb.

Burke said they would burn nine games like they did with Johnny Hockey in Calgary. 

Or the kid would return to another yeatr of College....

Here's the thing. What has changed since the beginning of the season? We started off quite well., Then the November skid happened. Injuries plagued us then, and injuries plague us now. We weren't supposed to be competing for playoffs this year, and up until a few weeks ago, we were.

I guarantee that if we had been this terrible all season long, no one would be complaining. Well, no, some would. But we had no expectations for this season.

3 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

I like what the panel just discusses and its what some of us have been preaching - but I fear the Aqulinis etc won't listen and try to get quick fixes with guys like Karlsson etc instead of staying the course and remaining patient (Unless we luck out in the draft and get Hughes or Kappo - and even still they aren't McDavid or Matthews)

I don't think signing any dmen as ufa's is a bad thing. We are weak on our back end. If Karlsson or Myers is willing to sign here we do it. They are both younger and better than ANY of our dmen including Edler and Tanev so what's the issue? We have cap space and they could both be around during any years of contention. Same with Ferland, he's 26. Now we shouldn't be signing Erickson 2.0's for sure but that's not what we're looking at I would think.

Just now, 40Dangles said:

I don't think signing any dmen as ufa's is a bad thing. We are weak on our back end. If Karlsson or Myers is willing to sign here we do it. They are both younger and better than ANY of our dmen including Edler and Tanev so what's the issue? We have cap space and they could both be around during any years of contention. Same with Ferland, he's 26. Now we shouldn't be signing Erickson 2.0's for sure but that's not what we're looking at I would think.

Hard pass on Karlsson but open to signing Myers as I think we need the cap space moving forward for Elias and Hughes

Just now, 6string said:

Burke said they would burn nine games like they did Johnny Hockey.

Did they have an expansion draft to worry about? I don't think so. Burning the year is a no brainer. He only needs one game for that. 

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Nope. It wasn't. 

Hmmmm..was really effective then as the worst +/- in the league. In that case I'm glad no one took his place "standing up at the line". Standing up as players skate by you like a pylon is nothing to miss. It's the words "best at" I object to.

1 minute ago, 40Dangles said:

I'd be reluctant to give a really long-term deal to Ferland (which is likely what he's looking for).  His kind of player tends to 'hit the wall' faster than say....a "finesse player".

3 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Hard pass on Karlsson but open to signing Myers as I think we need the cap space moving forward for Elias and Hughes

I'm much happier with spending the UFA money of Karlsson on Myers AND Ferland. I think they do more for us with pretty much the same money as 1 Karlsson

6 minutes ago, Moe Knows said:

A village is looking for their lost idiot...I think we found him

The advanced nerds didn't like Guddy but it was clear:

"But Gudbranson does have one clear strength: preventing the puck from entering the defensive zone in the first place.
Sean Tierney took Sznajder’s data (which now has a larger sample size than what was used in my previous article) and looked at how NHL teams perform when it comes to preventing zone entries. You can check out his data visualization and play around with it yourself, but here is where the Canucks’ defencemen land on the chart....The x-axis (horizontal) is break-up percentage, as in what percentage of zone entries against were broken up by the player. The y-axis is carry-in percentage, as in the percentage of zone entry attempts that are successfully carried in by the opponents. The higher you are on the chart, the lower the percentage of successful carry-in attempts against. The farther right, the higher the percentage of successful break-ups.
The Canuck ranked highest by both measures: Erik Gudbranson.
For all of Gudbranson’s struggles getting the puck out of the zone, he allowed the lowest percentage of carry-ins by opponents and aggressively broke up zone entries. Closing the gap on zone entries appears to be a legitimate strength of his game. Other defencemen near him on the chart include John Carlson, Brooks Orpik, and Kevin Connauton."

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/erik-gudbranson-led-the-canucks-in-one-defensive-category-1.21273381

It's an older article but from what I remember he was consistently the best Canuck at it.  

Idiot.

Let's not forget folks teams like Vegas were gifted a great roster through the expansion draft - not taking anything away from how they have gelled as a team but they did not have to deal with the restrictions other expansion teams did.

Just now, Moe Knows said:

Hmmmm..was really effective then as the worst +/- in the league. In that case I'm glad no one took his place "standing up at the line". Standing up as players skate by you like a pylon is nothing to miss. It's the words "best at" I object to.

+/- lol.

Good at standing up guys in the neutral zone =/= good at everything. Deny it all you want but Gudbranson IS good at standing guys up in the neutral zone. 

10 minutes ago, appleboy said:

So here is the question of the night. Is this management stupid enough to play Hughes more then 9 games?

The Nucks aren’t relevant enough for someone to try taking him out unlike what happened with Peterson at the beginning of the season. I think some experience might do him some good and he’d be fairly safe due to the Nucks standings. Best to give home a taste now than next year when like the last two years our stars were hurt and abused since other teams knew we were a bunch of kittens.

2 minutes ago, 40Dangles said:

He's only 26

27 in just over a month.  Still feel the same about avoiding giving him a long-term deal.

Hansen's game fell of a cliff pretty fast around that age as well.  Granted one example doesn't mean all players will be like that but it seems logical that guys that 'burn at both ends of a candle tend to last half as long".

Just now, 40Dangles said:

I'm much happier with spending the UFA money of Karlsson on Myers AND Ferland. I think they do more for us with pretty much the same money than 1 Karlsson

Totally agree - I spent a year in Winnipeg from about July 2017 to May 2018 and was lucky enough to see 8 Jets games live and a lot on TV and be there during their playoff run last year and Myers is very deceptive speed-wise as he is so big but he can skate - he's definitely our #1 target

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I'd be reluctant to give a really long-term deal to Ferland (which is likely what he's looking for).  His kind of player tends to 'hit the wall' faster than say....a "finesse player".

I find the opposite Loui was a finesse player and that wall was hit hard. 

Archived