The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hughes Jersey Number

wildcam

36 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

f@#$ messier

Unofficially retired before mr potatoe chips came.  Wayne Maki wore the number and Messed up insisted on using the number 11 over the protests of the Maki family. 

58 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Unofficially retired before mr potatoe chips came.  Wayne Maki wore the number and Messed up insisted on using the number 11 over the protests of the Maki family. 

ok wow. no idea about maki.. good to know.. 

f@#& messier anyways.. 

#7 is kinda sorta cursed since David Booth wore it. Brendan Morrison was the last #7 that represented well. David Booth was an injury prone ever since his first arrival to the Canucks and he became an eventual buy-out candidate. The next guy after him to wear #7 was Linden Vey. And we all remember how much of a "beloved" figure he was to the fans and CDC. Jayson Megna (:sick:) actually had his number changed from #46 to #7 after the 2016-17 season because he thought he would actually be sticking around with the big club :picard:. It became a meaningless as he would only played 1 regular season game wearing his #7 with the Canucks because Boeser had a bruised ankle after blocking a shot. So there have been many painful memories of players wearing #7 with the Canucks for basically the past decade.

#9 is cursed too, because ever since Hodgson, we have had Kassian, Prust and Leipsic wearing this number. None of their career as a Canuck turned out well. And I don't recall Hughes wearing #9 at any place whether it is NCAA, or with Team USA. So even if Tyler Madden arrives, I hope he get to pick another number because I really don't want anyone important to the organization wearing #9 again. 

#4 isn't all that great either. Most recently worn by Keith Ballard and Michael Del Zotto. I never liked the acquisition of Ballard (given his cap hit, and what we gave up to get him), and all we remember is the few hip-checks his thrown to opposing players and nothing else. Well as of MDZ, I don't think we need much of a refresher on him, as he was on the team as recently as a few months ago.

So my vote goes to what he wears normally, #43! A number can become a great number once there is a great player wearing it, and let Hughes be the guy make #43 a great number! I remember I didn't really want Bo to wear #53, but after hearing his reasoning behind wearing that number and how we wll he represented the number since he wore it, it really shown that the player can make a number a great number. Let's make it #43 for Quinn Hughes!

Archived