The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hughes Jersey Number

wildcam

10 hours ago, zapperman said:

Same as everyone else in that draft year - 18. So unless Virtanen gives it up or isn’t around, I’d save your bet money. 

well that's why I wouldn't bet but if it was my draft year and for memory sake i'd go after the number and wait if I had to for it but if I had some other number meaningful i'd go for that of course but if not i'd request it but you know, getting to have your number or any number on a jersey in the best league in the world in the world's funnest sport (my opinion anyway)   Wayyyyy too cool for words....

So just learned the whole story of the jersey. 

My son called the store as soon as the Hughes news broke.  They had....one.  Just made, they're going to take pre-orders.  He asked if they'd hold it for him and he rushed over and got it on his lunch hour.

On 3/10/2019 at 3:05 PM, Fanuck said:

Have seen him wearing #6, 7, 8, 24, 43 so who knows. 

I'm a dinosaur who still thinks goalies should only be #1, 30, defenceman should be 2-8, and forwards should be 8-29 lol......

Number 9 and 10 are particularly good numbers for a forward...lots of stars wore them.  7 is a great number for a defenseman too...Coffey 2.0 would always be nice...or shoot high and go 2.

16 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Number 9 and 10 are particularly good numbers for a forward...lots of stars wore them.  7 is a great number for a defenseman too...Coffey 2.0 would always be nice...or shoot high and go 2.

Agreed,  but in his arrival video on the main site he mentions he likes 43 still.

19 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Agreed,  but in his arrival video on the main site he mentions he likes 43 still.

Whatever number it is, I hope it’s retired at some point in the future and hangs in he rafters of our building.  We have some history with 44 so 43 would be neat, and new ... wonder if there ever has been a Canuck with that number?  Can’t remember...

10 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Well if they sold a #43 at the Team Store and they're taking pre-orders I'd expect that to be his number.  According to this, we haven't had anyone wearing that number before (which is cool)

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/numbers.html

Canucks Library shows #43 as having been worn by  Don Gibson and Pat Kavanagh. So, worn, but not worn much ! ( maybe 20 games in total. )

Archived