The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Should Edler be resigned?

RetroCanuck

Should Edler be resigned?  

169 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

something along those lines has been reported. He didn't want to waive for an eastern conference team, and he didn't want to sign an extension with Calgary. 

Its also been reported that money and term were close, but his agent wanted a NMC, which is not something thats on the table given Seattle. At least not yet.

If Edler and his agent have a NMC as a do or die issue to stay here, then Edler needs to sign elsewhere. I feel like his agent is trying for too much, there was a reasonable offer on the table, good trade options presented, and he declined. 

To me the best option now is to wait for July 1st to sign him. I'd like Jim to sound out the UFA market during the interview period the week leading up to July 1st before committing to Edler. 

I believe this is exactly what will happen.  

Just now, Alflives said:

I believe this is exactly what will happen.  

why not at this point? If its true and Edlers side has said NMC for the expansion year or no extension (for now at least), which seems to legitimately be reported, then it forces Jim to look for options. 

I hope it doesn't get ugly in the media, but in all likelihood it will. 1040 and twitter are cesspools that will ensure it. 

9 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Edler has been a valued piece of our team and could be for a couple more years. But, with Hughes stepping in next year, Juolevi not far away, Hutton looking like a top 4 and others in the system such as Brisebois and Sautner. Do we need him if his contract lasts too long? Not to mention we might draft a LD like Byram...

Hutton

Hughes

Juolevi     in a couple years could be a very solid LD side so may it not be more practical to sign a short term UFA like Hainsey instead of cluttering our LD side with assets we don't wish to       move?

Only sign Edler to short term and we must control his future or let him walk. The options you have for UFA are horrible I would't sign any of them. Maybe a trade works better or go after a RFA but we cannot let Edler restrict our rebuild anymore.

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why not at this point? If its true and Edlers side has said NMC for the expansion year or no extension (for now at least), which seems to legitimately be reported, then it forces Jim to look for options. 

I hope it doesn't get ugly in the media, but in all likelihood it will. 1040 and twitter are cesspools that will ensure it. 

If this is true then let him walk.

2 minutes ago, aliboy said:

If this is true then let him walk.

Dhaliwal was talking about Eddy wanting Seattle protection. And i get it, I don't think there's a bad guy here. But to me IF a NMC is a sticking point issue its time to look at options. 

Alex Edler has been our best defense man for years that should tell you it's time to sign him because he plays the toughest minutes and our defense is weak and fragile.

It should also tell you GO HARD on drafting our new stud defense men and hope Olli O. shows his talented stuff this following season.

We need defense men who are "BIG", FAST, SKILLED, STRONG and YOUNG.

Edler has had a decent year, especially by his standards. Coincidentally perhaps, this also happens to be a contract year. What a surprise...

Edler is roughly 33 years old and if I'm betting any money, I'd say he's given everything he's got this season. Next year he'll have less to give and less motivation to give it depending on what kind of contract he's on. If he's on a 1 year deal then we could see another full-effort season from him, but that's unlikely to be accepted by his camp.

Edler is in the twilight of his career, he's oft injured, and aside from this current season he hasn't been that great for quite some time. He does not possess a winning mentality otherwise he wouldn't be so hell-bent on staying with a losing team. Regardless of the contract he's signed to, I think he's still serviceable but I would offer him only 2 years at most, 4 million per year at most, with a limited NTC at most. Dont like it, Alex? Goodbye.

55 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Dhaliwal was talking about Eddy wanting Seattle protection. And i get it, I don't think there's a bad guy here. But to me IF a NMC is a sticking point issue its time to look at options. 

Sign a two year deal, which makes Edler a UFA for the Seattle expansion.  Then, sign Edler again after the expansion draft.  Easy :gocan:

To muddy the waters further, what if Tryamkin comes back? It's a good problem to have but our LHD spots might be pretty hard to come by next year. If Juolevi actually gets back on track too and Hughes shows he can cut it in the bigs then I would suggest we would only really need Eddy for one more year. Term and clauses are key to re-signing him imo.

Yes, re-sign Edler to a team friendly deal for two or three years. He is still the best defenceman on this team. Plays the hard minutes against the top opposition and contributes offensively as well. I don't see him having an immediate drop off. That said, throw some money at a good free agent d this summer as well.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If it's true that he's looking for 3+ years and the NMC in the expansion year then it's a deal-breaker for us, we walk away no questions asked.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

We only sign Edler if we don't land EK.  If we do land EK, then we let Edler walk.  

We can sign both; they don't play the same position and we have the cap.

(not that we actually have a chance at Karlsson)

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

If it's true that he's looking for 3+ years and the NMC in the expansion year then it's a deal-breaker for us, we walk away no questions asked.

I'd be fine with a NTC if the money and term were team friendly. I think the NMC stuff is just his agent trying for it, I'd be surprised if they stuck to that position, but if they did yeah its a deal breaker. Its also over the top, Seattle would be stupid to pick a 35 year old defenseman. 

54 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

To muddy the waters further, what if Tryamkin comes back? It's a good problem to have but our LHD spots might be pretty hard to come by next year. If Juolevi actually gets back on track too and Hughes shows he can cut it in the bigs then I would suggest we would only really need Eddy for one more year. Term and clauses are key to re-signing him imo.

Tryamkin and Hughes both play right side FWIW.

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd be fine with a NTC if the money and term were team friendly. I think the NMC stuff is just his agent trying for it, I'd be surprised if they stuck to that position, but if they did yeah its a deal breaker. Its also over the top, Seattle would be stupid to pick a 35 year old defenseman. 

Especially if we 'back-load' the contract so there's something like $7-8m cash owing that third year. Yeah, lets select the $8m, 35 going on 36 year old D who will be UFA in 1 year....NOT.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Tryamkin and Hughes both play right side FWIW.

Especially if we 'back-load' the contract so there's something like $7-8m cash owing that third year. Yeah, lets select the $8m, 35 going on 36 year old D who will be UFA in 1 year....NOT.

the other way is having year 3 with a huge July 1st bonus, say 5 mil bonus 1 mil salary. He can retire July 2nd if Seattle has a brain cramp and picks him over Markstrom or Lind or any number of younger prospects. 

Archived