The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Josh Teves | D

GoldenAlien

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

True enough.  This guy is not a kid, who will get physically more mature.  He’s 24!  What we see now, is what he is.  Sure, he will adapt and learn, but he’s at his physical peak right now.  Play the guy, and then dump him.  I’m not at all hopeful this guy is going to be a player.  Seriously, he’s 24!  

Alf you forgot to take your meds

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

True enough.  This guy is not a kid, who will get physically more mature.  He’s 24!  What we see now, is what he is.  Sure, he will adapt and learn, but he’s at his physical peak right now.  Play the guy, and then dump him.  I’m not at all hopeful this guy is going to be a player.  Seriously, he’s 24!  

who are you and what have you done with the real Alf? are we in some alternate universe? lol

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

This guy's college career has AHL player written all over it so Benning signs him to an ELC for this season making him a RFA in July.  How about an AHL tryout contract for the rest of this season and a one year ELC starting in the 2019-20 season?  Utica's defense is decimated right now with McEneny done for the year plus Brisebois and Sautner in Vancouver.  The only defenseman on the Comets playing on a NHL contract is Chatfield and he delivers more pizzas than Sbisa and Pouliot combined.  A little help for the farm would have been nice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UticaHockey said:

This guy's college career has AHL player written all over it so Benning signs him to an ELC for this season making him a RFA in July.  How about an AHL tryout contract for the rest of this season and a one year ELC starting in the 2019-20 season?  Utica's defense is decimated right now with McEneny done for the year plus Brisebois and Sautner in Vancouver.  The only defenseman on the Comets playing on a NHL contract is Chatfield and he delivers more pizzas than Sbisa and Pouliot combined.  A little help for the farm would have been nice.

Because if that was our offer, he'd have signed elsewhere !

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

And that is always the story with Benning's negotiation skills.  The only way he gets players signed is to offer more term (Beagle etc) or immediate NHL playing time to AHL quality college free agents like Griffen Molino.  Remember him...the guy that a couple years removed from a late season NHL signing by Benning is now on an AHL contract with the Marlies.

Other GMs get college free agents to sign AHL tryout contracts for the final month with an ELC starting in July but not Benning.

It's not like we are talking about Quinn Hughes here.  Teves is 24 years old who statistically regressed from his previous two seasons.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

And that is always the story with Benning's negotiation skills.  The only way he gets players signed is to offer more term (Beagle etc) or immediate NHL playing time to AHL quality college free agents like Griffen Molino.  Remember him...the guy that a couple years removed from a late season NHL signing by Benning is now on an AHL contract with the Marlies.

Other GMs get college free agents to sign AHL tryout contracts for the final month with an ELC starting in July but not Benning.

It's not like we are talking about Quinn Hughes here.  Teves is 24 years old who statistically regressed from his previous two seasons.

Examples?

5 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

It was either that offer or Teves goes elsewhere... 

We also need good players in Utica to help our prospects develop even if he doesn’t make the NHL, and I’m pretty sure almost every player on their team regressed in points. 

Edited by Elias_Pettersson

21 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

He likes his game and we have the roster space what’s the big deal. The season is over time to see the prospects 

we have luke shenn playing games, 

sautner, biega, pouliot. 

Shenn and Sautner can easily be sent back to Utica 

edit: I’m not complaining about sautner, I would like to see him play ahead of the other 3 I’m just saying he’s able to be sent to Utica 

Edited by Off_The_Schneid!

1 hour ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

He likes his game and we have the roster space what’s the big deal. The season is over time to see the prospects 

we have luke shenn playing games, 

sautner, biega, pouliot. 

Shenn and Sautner can easily be sent back to Utica 

edit: I’m not complaining about sautner, I would like to see him play ahead of the other 3 I’m just saying he’s able to be sent to Utica 

Sautner was the only player papered down to the Comets at the deadline thus he is the only player that can be sent to the Comets at any point the rest of the season.  Schenn could end up spending the entire rest of the season in the press box if Tanev is back and Hughes is able to start playing but he cannot come back to Utica.  This is how Benning manages the farm.

Sautner was the only player that was in Vancouver on TDL day that was made available to join the Comets at any point during the season.  Brisebois can also be sent back because he was called up after the TDL day. 

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

Because he is 24, it's a one year ELC. Expires in 13 games time. JB can take a good look at this player if he wants to. This is actually a deal that the 'DimJim' crowd should be praising. I see zero downside to this signing.

Edited by SingleThorn
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, ItalianCanuck1 said:

2 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

Just thought I would do the numbers.

Teves gets a bonus of 92.5K plus a pro-rated share of 832.5K. There are 82 games so he gets about 10.15K per game for the remaining 13 games just for being on the Canuck NHL roster. So he picks up 92.5 + 132 = 224.5K over the next few weeks. If he had gone to Utica he would still get his bonus but would only earn a few thousand for his pro-rated AHL salary.

In addition, I am guessing he has a handshake agreement for a fairly general RFA deal during the summer.

SingleThorn is no doubt right that this very generous offer was probably necessary. Otherwise he would have gone elsewhere.

But UticaHockey is also right that Benning has a track record of "overpaying" UFAs. But most UFAs would not come to Vancouver unless they get get paid more than they can get elsewhere. That won't change unless the Canucks become an organization that players want to join. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Because he is 24, it's a one year ELC. Expires in 13 games time. JB can take a good look at this player if he wants to. This is actually a deal that the 'DimJim' crowd should be praising. I see zero downside to this signing.

so the contract is done at the end of the Season?  Does the kid get to be a UFA, or is he still our property to resign if we want to?

3 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

If Green actually plays him in enough games to get a solid look at him then maybe you have a point.  But if Teves mostly sits in the press box for the next three weeks a better evaluation of his skill would be made by sending him to Utica where he would play every game and in a lot more minutes per game.  And the Cull doesn't play prospects argument doesn't apply here because the Comets are trolling the ECHL looking for warm bodies on defense to plug the holes of a sinking ship.