The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Josh Teves | D

GoldenAlien

2 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Duszak was valued higher and he agreed to an ATO with the Marlies and a two year ELC with the Leafs starting next year. Seems odd that Teves didn't get the same thing except a one year ELC for next year.

Duzack is 21 yrs old and not 24. I am guessing that factored into the decision

15 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Duszak was valued higher and he agreed to an ATO with the Marlies and a two year ELC with the Leafs starting next year. Seems odd that Teves didn't get the same thing except a one year ELC for next year.

Different GMs negotiating the deals.

17 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Duzack is 21 yrs old and not 24. I am guessing that factored into the decision

That again shows that Duszak held more value for Teves but opted to sign a more organization friendly deal. I'm sure there were teams that were willing to burn a year of his ELC this year, but Dubas in Toronto convinced him it would be better for him to choose Toronto on their terms. Perhaps having a strong AHL organization that is constantly supplemented throughout the year played a part in that decision for Duszak as well. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SingleThorn said:

Age 22/ 23 =2 year ELC. Age 24= 1year ELC. No wiggle room. Those are set rules.

The same rule applies if he signed an ATO in the AHL for the rest of this season and a one year ELC starting in 2019-20.  His ELC did not have to start this season.

11 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

The same rule applies if he signed an ATO in the AHL for the rest of this season and a one year ELC starting in 2019-20.  His ELC did not have to start this season.

I don't believe that is true. He would be 25. ELC would not be an option. This really isn't an issue. This is the deal that got Teves to sign with us. There are two sides at any contract negotiation. All depends how much JB values the player.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

I don't believe that is true. He would be 25. ELC would not be an option. This really isn't an issue. This is the deal that got Teves to sign with us. There are two sides at any contract negotiation. All depends how much JB values the player.

Josh Teves birthday is Feb 18, 1995 so he would still be considered 24 years old if his ELC started as of July 1, 2019.  Yes there are two sides to every contract negotiation but Jim Benning consistently ends up on the side of burning a year off on late season NCAA signings, adding extra term to bottom six free agent signings and throwing extra draft picks into trades he makes (except for this year because Vancouver is hosting the draft).  The bottom line is Jim Benning has poor negotiating skills.  

• Cheers 1

Honestly putting either Josh Teves or Derek Pouliot is a Tank Commander decision at this point.  

We're tanking with who we know is a proven tanking commodity (Pou) as opposed to finding out if we have an interesting player on our hands. I'd like to see Teves in a game or two but it may have to wait for us to be mathematically eliminated. 

Either way I'm very intrigued with this guy.  I actually think that our pro scouting is above average. 

14 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Why?  It's nearing the end of March and whatever unrealistic playoff hopes they had ended last night.  Time to see what he can do.  They know what Pouliot can do.  The whole argument why Benning only papered one player down to Utica was so they wouldn't burn all of there four available recalls so they can give guys late season looks.  That argument doesn't hold any water when someone like Pouliot plays over a player in need of a look.

Until last night they were still making a push for the playoffs, of course they're not going to play him until after that.  I expect we'll see him for the last few games.......Hughes as well.

13 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Honestly putting either Josh Teves or Derek Pouliot is a Tank Commander decision at this point.  

We're tanking with who we know is a proven tanking commodity (Pou) as opposed to finding out if we have an interesting player on our hands. I'd like to see Teves in a game or two but it may have to wait for us to be mathematically eliminated. 

Either way I'm very intrigued with this guy.  I actually think that our pro scouting is above average. 

Pouliot was fine last night.

17 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I think the sales pitch for Duszak by the Toronto Maple Leafs was twofold.

With Jake Gardiner, Martin Marincin, and Ron Hainsey on expiring deals and Justin Holl probably going the way of Josh Leivo and being dealt if he can't get playing time with Babcock next year, that's going to *potentially* open 4 defense spots.

The Leafs do have Rasmus Sandin, Timothy Liljegren, and Joe Duszak banging on the door. Chances are two of those three get significant NHL time as the Leafs head towards a major cap crunch.

Josh Teves doesn't have the luxury of probably getting himself a roster spot on the Canucks d-core next season. With Stecher, Tanev, Hughes, and probably Hutton & Edler guaranteed spots + the likes of Sautner, Juolevi, Chatfield, Schenn, Brisebois, other UFA signings will be fighting it out for roster spots. By burning a year now, Teves gets a raise and the Canucks get a sense of the player they signed. Teves is older so he should have a leg up on some of the competition BUT that doesn't guarantee anything. I suspect Teves will play at least a third of next season in Utica.

Truth is, I would much rather had Duszak but I get why he signed in Toronto. Teves is a decent consolidation prize but it's still a "meh" signing until I see him play. I hope he turns into a player but I have a feeling Teves is more in the Griffin Molino mold.... I just hope I'm wrong.

5 minutes ago, Quantum said:

With Stecher, Tanev, Hughes, and probably Hutton & Edler guaranteed spots + the likes of Sautner, Juolevi, Chatfield, Schenn, Brisebois, other UFA signings will be fighting it out for roster spots.

JB and Green have repeatedly said they guarantee spots for no one.

23 minutes ago, Quantum said:

I think the sales pitch for Duszak by the Toronto Maple Leafs was twofold.

With Jake Gardiner, Martin Marincin, and Ron Hainsey on expiring deals and Justin Holl probably going the way of Josh Leivo and being dealt if he can't get playing time with Babcock next year, that's going to *potentially* open 4 defense spots.

The Leafs do have Rasmus Sandin, Timothy Liljegren, and Joe Duszak banging on the door. Chances are two of those three get significant NHL time as the Leafs head towards a major cap crunch.

Josh Teves doesn't have the luxury of probably getting himself a roster spot on the Canucks d-core next season. With Stecher, Tanev, Hughes, and probably Hutton & Edler guaranteed spots + the likes of Sautner, Juolevi, Chatfield, Schenn, Brisebois, other UFA signings will be fighting it out for roster spots. By burning a year now, Teves gets a raise and the Canucks get a sense of the player they signed. Teves is older so he should have a leg up on some of the competition BUT that doesn't guarantee anything. I suspect Teves will play at least a third of next season in Utica.

Truth is, I would much rather had Duszak but I get why he signed in Toronto. Teves is a decent consolidation prize but it's still a "meh" signing until I see him play. I hope he turns into a player but I have a feeling Teves is more in the Griffin Molino mold.... I just hope I'm wrong.

Some players will be hit (like Tanev and Stecher) and others will be a miss (like Molino).

The only thing that is guaranteed is if we didn't sign any of these college players, we wouldn't get any hits. ;)

44 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Some players will be hit (like Tanev and Stecher) and others will be a miss (like Molino).

The only thing that is guaranteed is if we didn't sign any of these college players, we wouldn't get any hits. ;)

“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take- Wayne Gretzky”

- Michael Scott 

Edited by Sean Monahan
  • Upvote 1