high character

coachable

unreal work ethic

doesn't take a shift off

incredible drive

first pass is excellent

hard-nosed style

and finally, offensive upside.

I consider us to have been delivered from the power of darkness.

• Upvote 3

Watching Josh in the 3rd period against the Ducks..   kid reminds me of a quicker, young, dynamic D Keith.. and there is NOTHING wrong with that.

He’s a beauty..   cheers JB!

Allows almost 0 gap.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 2

Looked like a deer in the headlights on his first shift. A little later, had a nervous half check that could have ended badly. By the end of the game he was playing a solid game. Looks very slight and didn't venture into the offensive side too much. Is definitely behind Brisebois, but a lot of positives !

11 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Watching Josh in the 3rd period against the Ducks..   kid reminds me of a quicker, young, dynamic D Keith.. and there is NOTHING wrong with that.

He’s a beauty..   cheers JB!

Allows almost 0 gap.

That's why it's so important to give prospects a taste of NHL before their actual rookie season so they can mentally and physically prepare during the summer. 

2 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Looked like a deer in the headlights on his first shift. A little later, had a nervous half check that could have ended badly. By the end of the game he was playing a solid game. Looks very slight and didn't venture into the offensive side too much. Is definitely behind Brisebois, but a lot of positives !

Very hard to judge a guy like Teves after one game.  He's a good prospect but by all accounts he's been a late bloomer.  Good for him to get a taste of NHL action as he might be the kind of guy who thinks the game well after getting a chance to test himself (and fail).  Encouraging to hear that his play was more solid by the end of the game.

At this point of the season, I'm more interested in seeing how guys compete as they head into the off season.  It could be a very interesting summer and then training camp.

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Did someone compare Teves to Duncan Keith? One of the best D in the league for years Keith? Teves...the 24 year old rookie....

Haha...good god that is some high level scouting opinion hahaha..  :picard:

haha I saw that as well. Just didn't say anything because I had nothing nice to say lol

Teves looked good out there for his first ever professional game. Will be in Utica next season but at least we will have quite a few decent pieces down there.

Most likely all of Juolevi, Sautner, Brisebois, Teves, Chatfield, Eliot, Biega 

Hughes-Tanev

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Myers

Schenn

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Did someone compare Teves to Duncan Keith? One of the best D in the league for years Keith? Teves...the 24 year old rookie....

Haha...good god that is some high level scouting opinion hahaha..  :picard:

I saw Keith play in Penticton, and his NHL rookie year,.  there are similarities at this stage (next year possibly being his first year in the NHL or AHL), Skating being one of them.

That’s not “high level scouting opinion” . .  its a fact..  Perhaps you need to read what Smly said about him.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

From what I remember, Duncan Keith was terrible those first couple years - slight, constantly losing pucks and falling to the ice. I remember a Canuck sped by him scoring the winning goal while Keith wiped himself out at centre ice. It was only later on that he became a stud.

I respectfully appreciate your thoughts R&H,     But we can’t argue what the Blackhawks saw in D Keith.

There are glimpses you get from players that give you their peak strengths, from what I understand, the idea is to watch a player for more consistently in those strengths.. and create more first plays than errors.

Everyone has a different timeline to their peak game..  everyone has a different journey to get to the big game.

A lot of talent never makes it.  Real “Life” is a huge factor.

I think Smyl is bang on with his words of assessment on Teves as provided by @Mo Grit ..

“About Teves, Stan uses words like:

new wave defencemen

quick transition

mental fortitude

leader

does all the right things

consistent first pass

high character

coachable

unreal work ethic

doesn't take a shift off

incredible drive

first pass is excellent

hard-nosed style

and finally, offensive upside.”

For those here just wanting to deal an AHL or NHL card on a new player as some high valued opinion, and offer nothing else other than negativity on other posters thoughts..    Keep Calm and Stay Redundant.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

On 3/26/2019 at 5:17 PM, Mo Grit said:

About Teves, Stan uses words like:

new wave defencemen

quick transition

mental fortitude

leader

does all the right things

consistent first pass

high character

coachable

unreal work ethic

doesn't take a shift off

incredible drive

first pass is excellent

hard-nosed style

and finally, offensive upside.

I consider us to have been delivered from the power of darkness.

These are not words that are bandied about carelessly.  Simply go through the Canuck roster and see how many players could be described this way.  Maybe 7/8?  He reminds me of Stecher, who I really didn't think would stick with the team when he was signed.  Troy has become the 'dark horse' since then and is developing into a decent NHL defenceman.  Teves is just a year older and appears to have many of the traits that Stech has utilized to develop into the player he has become.  I am hopeful that this player can do the same.

Edited by higgyfan
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Most likely Utica bound this fall 

I only watched him once and he struck me as overawed by his just being there in the NHL. By the end of the game, he was playing smart hockey. I'm sure he'll start in Utica but he won't stay there long. We have no idea how Juolevi will play when he returns from a long serious injury and this youngster who is older, may jump ahead of him on the depth chart. Nothing better than the competition. Both Rafferty and Teves strike me as good signings. I understand Rafferty was given a $95K signing bonus which would suggest there was competition to sign this player. All three NCAA FA signing this summer are a plus IMO

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

so whats the word on this dude think he only played a game or two?

He made a few turnovers and looked like it was a big shock for him to go directly from NCAA to NHL. 

We look at Brock Boeser, Quinn Hughes (and forget the in-betweener Gaudette)  and assume that jumping a league (AHL) is no big deal, but it is. 

He didn't look outmatched speed-wise though, and I could see him becoming an NHLer without too much of a reach.  Looking at a year in Utica, in my opinion. 

• 2 months later...