Hutton Stetcher
Hughes Juolevi

Markstrom 
Demko

Trades
Pearson for a 3rd 
Grandlund for a 5th 
Eriksson For a 6th 

So you're proposing we win the lottery and trade bad contracts for picks?

35 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Not much of a proposal.

I propose we win the lottery, draft Kakko and then trade our second+Sutter for hughes....

Alf is an old man who needs blue pills to get excited.  Your idea is better than blue pills.  Come here Mrs. Alf!!!  :frantic:

tbh, we are a major hockey market. However, I doubt Panarin comes to Canada. The chances of us winning the lottery are low atm, wait another couple weeks (hopefully we dont win 5 in a row). 

If by a miracle we win the lottery and get Hughes or Kappo, and sign Panarin & Karlsson we would be either dreaming or in heaven (aka dead)

2 hours ago, CanucksCountry said:

Kakko Pettersson Boeser 
Panarin Horvat Virtanen
Goldobin Guddette Levio 
Roussel Beagle Motte

Edler Tanev 
Hutton Stetcher
Hughes Juolevi

Markstrom 
Demko

Trades
Pearson for a 3rd 
Grandlund for a 5th 
Eriksson For a 6th 

Panarin Petterson  Boeser

Ferland Horvat Virtanen

Goldy  Gaudetter Levio

Russel  Hughes   Pearson

Karlsson Hughes

Edler Stecher

Myers Tryamkin

DEMKO

MARKSTROME

26 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Ferland Horvat Virtanen

Goldy  Gaudetter Levio

Russel  Hughes   Pearson

Karlsson Hughes

Edler Stecher

Myers Tryamkin

DEMKO

MARKSTROME

LOL, a lot would have to right for this to go down...

Imagine signing arguably the top 4 free agents of the off season? Home town discounts for the right to play with Pettersson & Boeser...

Plus getting Tryamkin & Edler back, oh lordy, lordy, lordy...  :frantic:

20 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

LOL, a lot would have to right for this to go down...

Imagine signing arguably the top 4 free agents of the off season? Home town discounts for the right to play with Pettersson & Boeser...

Plus getting Tryamkin & Edler back, oh lordy, lordy, lordy...  :frantic:

i dunno

the most stunning thing

was getting rid of loui and getting a 6th round pick for him ..

i think i'd need to do a dance if that happened

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

i dunno

the most stunning thing

was getting rid of loui and getting a 6th round pick for him ..

i think i'd need to do a dance if that happened

After July 1, @D-Money pointed out in a diff thread Loui will have received his yearly bonus. He's actually only being paid $1 mill for the season & $9 mill over the balance of his contract, 3 years. Its virtually all signing bonus at the beginning of each year.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/loui-eriksson

To his credit, Erikisson is still in great shape, has no problem producing NHL speed & pressure. Come July 2?

At that point we can retain 50% and its $4.5 mill real dollars for 3 years. Its also less hit than we would owe in a buy out. 

A competitor can have Loui for $1.5 mill per season real cash, and a $3 mill cap hit.  That would be attractive to Boston or Washington as competitors. Carolina is a play off team, but always short on currency. Chicago is cap strapped, and in forward depth but gearing to return as a play off team with all their prospect D's to surface. Loui would look great on Tampa, no doubt reinvigorate his scoring touch...  

Florida and Arizona as cap floor teams would prefer Eriksson at his full hit.  

I have no doubt Jim believes there is a market for Eriksson. 

Post July 1 > Eriksson retained 50% for Ian Mitchell from Chicago? LOL, get Forsling back... Fox is probably too much from Carolina? But they each have plenty of D prospect D to make such a move. And in RHD / PMD's which is what we need.

I think we can do better than a 6th personally.

A lot better...

4 hours ago, Squamfan said:

Ferland Horvat Virtanen

Goldy  Gaudetter Levio

Russel  Hughes   Pearson

Karlsson Hughes

Edler Stecher

Myers Tryamkin

DEMKO

MARKSTROME

How do you propose we get under the cap in 3 years?

Panarin - $11 million

Pettersson - $12 million

Boeser - $7 million

Ferland - $5 million

BO - $5.5 million

Hughes - $7 million

Hughes - $7 million

Myers - $7 million

Karlsson - $11 million

I stopped right there at 9 players and $72 million.  

7 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

After July 1, @D-Money pointed out in a diff thread Loui will have received his yearly bonus. He's actually only being paid $1 mill for the season & $9 mill over the balance of his contract, 3 years. Its virtually all signing bonus at the beginning of each year.

To his credit, Erikisson is still in great shape, has no problem producing NHL speed & pressure. Come July 2?

At that point we can retain 50% and its $4.5 mill real dollars for 3 years. Its also less hit than we would owe in a buy out. 

A competitor can have Loui for $1.5 mill per season real cash, and a $3 mill cap hit.  That would be attractive to Boston or Washington as competitors. Carolina is a play off team, but always short on currency. Chicago is cap strapped, and in forward depth but gearing to return as a play off team with all their prospect D's to surface. Loui would look great on Tampa, no doubt reinvigorate his scoring touch...  

Post July 1 > Eriksson retained 50% for Ian Mitchell from Chicago? LOL, get Forsling back... Fox is probably too much from Carolina? But they each have plenty of D prospect D to make such a move. And in RHD / PMD's which is what we need.

A lot better...

I think Loui would look great in any city that doesn't wear blue green and white

7 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

A lot better...

Chicago got me thinking. The Blackhawks have the worst PK in the league, by a country mile (73.3% - 2.3% lower than the next worst team). So at least in that respect, they could conceivably be interested in Eriksson for his PK abilities. But as you noted, cap is an issue for them - dollars aren't - so they'd probably only be interested if we were retaining. And even if we didn't, I don't think we'd get nearly the value of an Ian Mitchell...or any of their other top D prospects, for that matter (unless we added value).

And before anyone brings it up - no, we don't want Seabrook (he turns 34 next month, and his contract still has FIVE years remaining!).

My preference would be to dump Eriksson's full cap hit. But I suspect that will only work for a team near the cap floor looking to minimize salaries. Or a team that has no intention to spend anywhere near the cap. And likely a team that currently has a poor penalty kill. And they have a guy they're trying to get rid of, that has only 1 or 2 years of term remaining (for Canucks, it has to be a contract that is finished when we have to extend Pettersson and Hughes).

Arizona and New Jersey are budget teams, but they are already 2 of the top penalty-killing teams in the league, so they don't really need what Eriksson brings. But here are a couple other possibilities from bad PK teams:

New York Rangers - Eriksson for Brendan Smith (RD, 2 years remaining at $4.35M per)

Rangers have 7th worst PK in the league at 78.3%, and not many veterans left to take the lead. They also have an extra RD, and put Smith on waivers last year (he played 11 games in the AHL). They probably won't spend to the cap for the foreseeable future...then again, they may suddenly load up on UFA talent (rumours to Panarin). Eriksson is more likely to waive. However, Smith has a 15-team no-trade list, and as an Ontario boy who has played his whole career in Detroit and NY, his preference may be to stay in the East.

Anaheim Ducks - Eriksson (+ pick/prospect) for Corey Perry (2 years remaining at $8.625M per)

This would be dependent on both players waiving their clauses, but if they were open to it, it makes sense for both sides. Ducks have the 11th worst PK. Perry is certainly nowhere near the player he once was, but can provide more offense than Loui, and might be a good fit on Horvat's wing. The Ducks will save cap in the short term, which is important, as they have raises coming next year for Gibson, Silfverberg, and Henrique. But even more importantly for them (as they are hurting without playoff revenue), they will save a lot of cash, as Perry is owed $15M in the next 2 years, whereas Eriksson is only owed $9M over 3 years (after July 1st).

...However, I still think Ottawa makes the most sense.

14 hours ago, CanucksCountry said:

Kakko Pettersson Boeser 
Panarin Horvat Virtanen
Goldobin Guddette Levio 
Roussel Beagle Motte

Edler Tanev 
Hutton Stetcher
Hughes Juolevi

Markstrom 
Demko

Trades
Pearson for a 3rd 
Grandlund for a 5th 
Eriksson For a 6th 

OMG your signing Panarin 10 million????? When I last looked we had one of the worst defence in the league....

We must re tool this D first and that starts with a top #3 D man and another guy that is a solid top 5....

Panarin is exciting but we will still not make playoffs next year with Panarin.... Chasing a top forward is exciting but we are still  another year away from chasing that big offensive player...Don't want to be up against cap.. We have some players coming soon that will demand big money, Boser, Pettersson, Hughes...

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How do you propose we get under the cap in 3 years?

Panarin - $11 million

Pettersson - $12 million

Boeser - $7 million

Ferland - $5 million

BO - $5.5 million

Hughes - $7 million

Hughes - $7 million

Myers - $7 million

Karlsson - $11 million

I stopped right there at 9 players and $72 million.  

who would you protect in the expansion draft?

15 hours ago, CanucksCountry said:

Kakko Pettersson Boeser 
Panarin Horvat Virtanen
Goldobin Guddette Levio 
Roussel Beagle Motte

Edler Tanev 
Hutton Stetcher
Hughes Juolevi

Markstrom 
Demko

Trades
Pearson for a 3rd 
Grandlund for a 5th 
Eriksson For a 6th 

laugh.gif

6 hours ago, D-Money said:

Chicago got me thinking. The Blackhawks have the worst PK in the league, by a country mile (73.3% - 2.3% lower than the next worst team). So at least in that respect, they could conceivably be interested in Eriksson for his PK abilities. But as you noted, cap is an issue for them - dollars aren't - so they'd probably only be interested if we were retaining. And even if we didn't, I don't think we'd get nearly the value of an Ian Mitchell...or any of their other top D prospects, for that matter (unless we added value).

And before anyone brings it up - no, we don't want Seabrook (he turns 34 next month, and his contract still has FIVE years remaining!).

My preference would be to dump Eriksson's full cap hit. But I suspect that will only work for a team near the cap floor looking to minimize salaries. Or a team that has no intention to spend anywhere near the cap. And likely a team that currently has a poor penalty kill. And they have a guy they're trying to get rid of, that has only 1 or 2 years of term remaining (for Canucks, it has to be a contract that is finished when we have to extend Pettersson and Hughes).

Arizona and New Jersey are budget teams, but they are already 2 of the top penalty-killing teams in the league, so they don't really need what Eriksson brings. But here are a couple other possibilities from bad PK teams:

New York Rangers - Eriksson for Brendan Smith (RD, 2 years remaining at $4.35M per)

Rangers have 7th worst PK in the league at 78.3%, and not many veterans left to take the lead. They also have an extra RD, and put Smith on waivers last year (he played 11 games in the AHL). They probably won't spend to the cap for the foreseeable future...then again, they may suddenly load up on UFA talent (rumours to Panarin). Eriksson is more likely to waive. However, Smith has a 15-team no-trade list, and as an Ontario boy who has played his whole career in Detroit and NY, his preference may be to stay in the East.

Anaheim Ducks - Eriksson (+ pick/prospect) for Corey Perry (2 years remaining at $8.625M per)

This would be dependent on both players waiving their clauses, but if they were open to it, it makes sense for both sides. Ducks have the 11th worst PK. Perry is certainly nowhere near the player he once was, but can provide more offense than Loui, and might be a good fit on Horvat's wing. The Ducks will save cap in the short term, which is important, as they have raises coming next year for Gibson, Silfverberg, and Henrique. But even more importantly for them (as they are hurting without playoff revenue), they will save a lot of cash, as Perry is owed $15M in the next 2 years, whereas Eriksson is only owed $9M over 3 years (after July 1st).

...However, I still think Ottawa makes the most sense.

Funny thing; I almost mentioned Perry.

Not sure I would play him with Bo though? Bo draws match up lines. Perry is not there to play defence.

But might make a lot of sense to get Gaudette's 3rd line going...

My own favorite is a return to Boston where he had some results in the past.  As long as Beantown fans don't still hold the Seguin trade against him. He did play well there after he got the first year jitters out.

26 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Funny thing; I almost mentioned Perry.

Not sure I would play him with Bo though? Bo draws match up lines. Perry is not there to play defence.

But might make a lot of sense to get Gaudette's 3rd line going...

My own favorite is a return to Boston where he had some results in the past.  As long as Beantown fans don't still hold the Seguin trade against him. He did play well there after he got the first year jitters out.

Eriksson for Backes would make some sense. Exact same cap hit. Eriksson is the better player now, but Backes expires 1 year earlier (perfect timing).

DB has an NMC that becomes a LNTC July 1st, so he'd have to be open to it. But right now he's had to resort to putting his health on the line to stay relevant on Cassidy's team. And back in the day, Backes signed an offer sheet to come to Vancouver, so he at least at one point wanted to come here.

The Bruins already have a pretty good penalty-kill (9th overall), but they have to get through Tampa, who have the top PP and PK in the league. They'd probably listen to this.

Archived