nitti999

Gonna be tough to improve with this pile next year:

erickson 6 mil

pearson 3.75

spooner 3.1

shaller.  1.9

sutter.  4.38

beartski 3.37

That’s 21.5 mil bucks for what? Sven who knew but it doesn’t look good on Jim benning. 25% of the cap. Basically two star players. 

Heres hoping someone can be brought in to start cleaning up the wounds. 

That's a 2 year project to get rid of all those contracts.  I doubt Benning can do it in one year.  You can waive Spooner and Schaller and send them to Utica, Baertschi can be put on LTIR if he can't play next year.  Sutter could be traded.  Pearson could stay as a utility player for a year and then you have Eriksson who is virtually unmoveable at this point. 

So I would say at least 4 of those players could be wiped from the big club next year in some way.  If Benning can get rid of all 6 of them in the summer then he would be a folk hero really...

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

If you're going to rag on a guy at least spell his name right. And it's Schaller and Eriksson too btw. 

Didn’t rag on sven. Nor any of the other guys signed. Can’t blame them to sign for $. Maybe JB a bit. 

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Calling them baggage I would say is ragging on them. 

The contracts are. And waivers or LTIR don’t really help that either. Can you say any of the contracts are beneficial for the team next year?  Not to mention four of them run past that. The contracts impact the team overall in a negative way. So yes these contracts are baggage. 

3 hours ago, nitti999 said:

erickson 6 mil

pearson 3.75

spooner 3.1

shaller.  1.9

sutter.  4.38

beartski 3.37

That’s 21.5 mil bucks for what? Sven who knew but it doesn’t look good on Jim benning. 25% of the cap. Basically two star players. 

Sutter has a role when he is healthy.  Baer is unfortunate,

Spooner is yet to be fully written off,

schaller is Utica bound.

Pearson is going to fill a role and he of he can pot 15-20 he is fairly priced. 

Eriksson has a role but cannot be considered anything but a disappointment.  

In two years EP40 will need a deal, Hughes will need a deal.  Those could be very pricey.  

Two years to clean up this.  By then Schaller, Sutter, Spooner and Baer expire.  Eriksson will hopefully be moved out.  

Either way, we have cap and our top guys are cheap atm.  

This is such an over reaction. 

Baertschi is good, just need to hope he can stay healthy like Crosby has done for the last like 5-6 years. His contract isn’t an issue.

Pearson can play a top 9 role, is cheaper than what Guddy was and is easily tradeable if need be.

Schaller is movable as he will only have 1 year remaining at $1.9.

Spooner is more useful to this organization than Gagner was, the money is equal and he only has 1 year remaining. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him moved in the offseason. Could easily move him if you retained money as well. 

Sutter is injury prone, with little offensive contributions. Is probably best in a shutdown role on a good team. Contract is a little steep, for what he’s offering. I would consider retaining 50% salary and moving him, he only has 2 years remaining, instantly bumps up his value for a contending team. 

Eriksson is a dud, 3 years remaining on his deal, basically playing in a 4th line role with a $6 million dollar cap hit. Instead of retaining salary to trade Spooner, I would retain 50% of Eriksson’s contract and trade him. Doing this makes him tradeable to someone. Use the threat of sending him to Utica to make him accept a trade to anywhere. 

If you used your 2 remaining Salary retention slots on Eriksson and Sutter, you would be unable to retain anymore salary in a trade until Sutter comes off the books in 2 years. This isn’t really a big deal because we wouldn’t have anyone else on the roster that would need to be bought out.

5 hours ago, nitti999 said:

erickson 6 mil

pearson 3.75

spooner 3.1

shaller.  1.9

sutter.  4.38

beartski 3.37

GMing is so easy ! Surprised there aren't 31 SC winners each year. 30 GMs should be fired every year ! But......you did spell 3 out of 6 names correctly, so that makes you a CDC expert !

About the same amount of “baggage” other teams around the league currently have.  Bear isn’t, as someone already pointed out.  I’m hoping Sutter gets traded at the draft for anything to shed some payroll, but who knows.  Curiously we don’t have anyone but Hughes and McEwen ready to step up and take roster spots away from these guys yet, which is what really matters, he needs to have someone to take their place and if the aren’t tradable .... they will play out their contract or get waived IF and when a prospect is ready.   And even with all this baggage, how much cap space do we have going into the off season again?   

Its not perfect,  but it is what it is, Pearson sheds some payroll from Gudbranson (and term)...LE and Sutter are the two biggest ones, and they both can play a role when healthy (and LE has at least proven durable.   

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's a 2 year project to get rid of all those contracts.  I doubt Benning can do it in one year.  You can waive Spooner and Schaller and send them to Utica, Baertschi can be put on LTIR if he can't play next year.  Sutter could be traded.  Pearson could stay as a utility player for a year and then you have Eriksson who is virtually unmoveable at this point. 

So I would say at least 4 of those players could be wiped from the big club next year in some way.  If Benning can get rid of all 6 of them in the summer then he would be a folk hero really...

I believe Baer is almost ready to be back this season, I'm sure he's fine for next year.  

6 hours ago, nitti999 said:

erickson 6 mil

pearson 3.75

spooner 3.1

shaller.  1.9

sutter.  4.38

beartski 3.37

I'd not be shocked if Eriksson retires or agrees to mutually terminate his contract after his July 1 bonus is paid.

Pearson is fine.

Spooner is likely waived, traded or 13th forward.

Schaller waived or traded

The last two are fine if healthy... Though I could see Sutter moved if we see enough improvements to the top 6.

Archived