The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lots of baggage

nitti999

Trade all those contracts out and we're $5 million dollars under the cap floor, unless you get salary back. Here are some things to consider:

- Next season, the Canucks have about $30 Million in cap space to resign/replace the following in no particular order: Boeser, Granlund, Leivo, Motte, Goldobin, Edler, Hutton, Pouliot, Schenn, and Demko. Even at exaggerated salary projections, there's no real urgency to clear cap space. 

- Schaller and Spooner's contracts are off the books after next season. These contracts will NOT get in the way of a Boeser extension. 

- Petey's extension won't take affect until after all of the above mentioned contracts, minus Eriksson, have expired. In fact, the only real "cap" obstacle regarding a Petey extension is signing two superstar players to ludicrous contracts THIS YEAR. 

I don't want to get into roster and salary cap proposals, unless requested, but the point I'm trying to make is that the above mentioned contracts aren't a salary cap anchor. For every player who doesn't live up to there contract (Eriksson), there is a player who certainly exceeds it (Pettersson). 

Take a breathe. We're ok.

5 hours ago, nitti999 said:

Also nees to plan for the luongo contract potential implications from previous management which could crush the cap. 

By doing what? The cap is going up. Kind of hard to try and control stuff you can't control. 

Going to Gary and begging on hands and knees for forgiveness that our previous GM was trying to circumvent the cap, but he's out of the league now.

Yeah, that will work. 

10 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

By doing what? The cap is going up. Kind of hard to try and control stuff you can't control. 

Going to Gary and begging on hands and knees for forgiveness that our previous GM was trying to circumvent the cap, but he's out of the league now.

Yeah, that will work. 

Only a touch of truth here. GMs were warned that loop holes were going to be closed, but that had not happened and Gillis ( Nonis ? ) followed the rules. In everyday life, a retro law would be laughed out of court, but I don't think that Canucks are allowed to take Bettman to court. So many of 'these' contracts have been allowed to go punishment free that it's hard to believe we will be penalised. If we are, I'll join the 'Bettman hates us' conspiracy club !

8 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Only a touch of truth here. GMs were warned that loop holes were going to be closed, but that had not happened and Gillis ( Nonis ? ) followed the rules. In everyday life, a retro law would be laughed out of court, but I don't think that Canucks are allowed to take Bettman to court. So many of 'these' contracts have been allowed to go punishment free that it's hard to believe we will be penalised. If we are, I'll join the 'Bettman hates us' conspiracy club !

Other teams like New Jersey, etc. got out of it. Maybe because they know people in New York that know people.

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's a 2 year project to get rid of all those contracts.  I doubt Benning can do it in one year.  You can waive Spooner and Schaller and send them to Utica, Baertschi can be put on LTIR if he can't play next year.  Sutter could be traded.  Pearson could stay as a utility player for a year and then you have Eriksson who is virtually unmoveable at this point. 

So I would say at least 4 of those players could be wiped from the big club next year in some way.  If Benning can get rid of all 6 of them in the summer then he would be a folk hero really...

They would still be on the hook for most of their salary. They would only get around a mil per player savings and the replacements will cost that or more.

34 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yeah, that will work. 

You still need to be prepared for that scenario. If you use all of your space and then he retires ? What then....

6 hours ago, nitti999 said:

Also nees to plan for the luongo contract potential implications from previous management which could crush the cap. 

There is zero chance that that will be an issue. Contract was signed pre current CBA under a different MGMT group. Even still, Luongo will go on LTIR for the rest of his contract.

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's a 2 year project to get rid of all those contracts.  I doubt Benning can do it in one year.  You can waive Spooner and Schaller and send them to Utica, Baertschi can be put on LTIR if he can't play next year.  Sutter could be traded.  Pearson could stay as a utility player for a year and then you have Eriksson who is virtually unmoveable at this point. 

So I would say at least 4 of those players could be wiped from the big club next year in some way.  If Benning can get rid of all 6 of them in the summer then he would be a folk hero really...

Eriksson's payable salary next season I believe is like a million bucks. Any team looking to reach the cap floor would love that contract. Cheap teams would have to have a 6m cap hit for 1m in salary in a given year. 

ARZ has been known for that. There may be a suitor out there. Might even be able to get a small return too.

Archived