Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[PGT] New York Rangers at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 13, 2019

Rate this topic

33 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

A lot of people on this board are saying Speed and Youth are the only ways to win a Cup.

I would tend to agree the Canucks do need to keep speed as a key and they want to draft and develop rather than sign free agents... but size is also important... and you need some veterans.

Cup Winners are more often than not good sized teams and often they are largely vets... last years winners the Washington Capitals are a perfect example.  How old is that team???  And look at the size and physicality.

And if Washington wins again... which I would not be at all surprised to see... then everyone will be turning 90 degrees and saying how there is no substitute for grit and veteran leadership.

But of course, the Caps need to get past Tampa Bay.... who are also a veteran team... although not so size focused... they are built on speed and skill.  But sometimes speed and skill does not translate in the Post Season.

Agreed, and that's largely because the playoffs are such a grind and being as durable as possible is often the best way to make it to the end. You mention the Capitals and their physicality, but don't forget that they too are an extremely skilled team.

IMO the Capitals do so well not because they rely overmuch on strength and size but because they have a nearly ideal combination of size and skill. Tampa is undoubtedly the faster team, but I don't think they're totally out of Washington's league in terms of skill level.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jackofwind said:

Agreed, and that's largely because the playoffs are such a grind and being as durable as possible is often the best way to make it to the end. You mention the Capitals and their physicality, but don't forget that they too are an extremely skilled team.

IMO the Capitals do so well not because they rely overmuch on strength and size but because they have a nearly ideal combination of size and skill. Tampa is undoubtedly the faster team, but I don't think they're totally out of Washington's league in terms of skill level.

The Eastern Conference final will be an interesting one... I predict either Tampa or Washington, (or both) will be there.

And in my mind the East winner has to be the favourite to win it all... unless of course, Fleury gets red hot for Vegas.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

And he's proving you wrong with each shift with the Penguins, which isn't hard to do mind you.  

How so? Hes was terrible as a Canuck, I don't really care what jersey he puts on next. He was an overpaid pile of garbage here. He doesn't need to prove anything, thank gawd he's gone and the the Canucks are all the better for it

• Hydration 3
  • Confused 2

40 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

Give me a team of Travis Hamonics any day. He fights Guddy knowing he was going to get killed. We are a joke around the league in terms of "team toughness', we have none!!!

You don't need to have a roster full of goons to have the right culture of what to do and who to protect. If im Petey im looking at going back to Sweden after this contract or asking for a trade to a team that protects there skilled players. This team and its lack of pushback incident after incident is very tough to watch. Im guessing Benning is on a very short leash right now re the ownership group.  Virtanen, Schaller, Beagle, Pearson, Wake the F up!!!

Actually the joke of the franchise is "fans" like this, who use media to spew vitriol towards players, coaches and management in an attempt to make them feel better about their own sad, rudderless lives.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, shiznak said:

There’s no correct formula for winning the Stanley Cup. I hate it when people say “to win in today’s NHL you need speed and skill.”. When every year it’s different from the previous year. 

2000: Defense wins championships.

2001-2002: Offense wins championships.

2003: Back to defense.

2004-2007: Grit and depth wins championships.

2007-2009: Speed and skills wins championships.

2009-2011: Toughness wins championships.

2012: Speed and skills wins championships.

2013: Back to toughness.

2014: Back to speed and skill.

2015-2017: Offense wins championships.

2018: Back to speed and skill.

Through that all only one team was below league average size, Detroit one year. All have a "stud" dman and top 3 picks.

37 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

This team is definitely closer than some realize not as laughably bad as @TheGuardian_‘s 7 skilled players away from being a contender. 

Forwards

SB is done and will be too old in 3 years, his 18 goals a season need to be 20+ goals, need, a 2nd line guy.

Roussel playing with Horvat will need an upgrade and a scorer if Horvat is to be a second line guy. Another top 6 player.

Boeser and EP, with a host of others, need, a top six guy.

Jake hovering around a 2nd line to 4th line guy.

That isn't counting bottom 6 talent, usually large energy guys, Gaudette and ?

On defence name the keepers and then add from there, Tanev gone, Edler gone, Schenn gone, Pouliot gone, there is two, Biega gone, there is 3 higher skilled bigger players needed.

Goal, a 33 yr old Markstrom or Demko? A back up?

Leivo is a good 3rd line guy, Guadette a 3rd line guy, Motte a 4th line guy, Granlund maybe gone, Lind and Gadovitch, from reports they are not transitioning to the AHL very well

Most of the true cup contenders have a second line and third line equal to bottom feeders top 6. Ideally Horvat would become the team's 3rd line center with EP and another ahead with Guadette being the fourth line center. That means the team has depth at center and that is a preferred thing.

Wingers of Boeser, maybe Goldy, marginal Virtanen and that's it.

3rd/4th

Motte, Guadette, Leivo, Pearson?, Lind?.

Any players picked up have to be better than the group on this team now, they have to be compared to the NHL standard overall, Vegas just demonstrated the difference between selecting good NHL players vs merely better than roster holders on bad teams, AHLer's.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

:blink:

You obviously aren't paying attention. 7 of the top-10 scorers in the league are 25 years old or younger. Only 1 (Crosby) is over the age of 30.

How silly, its like saying every successful team has a goalie. :lol: Only 2 others in that group have won a cup so what are you trying to say? How many 25 and younger players are in the whole NHL? Probably a lot. :lol:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Through that all only one team was below league average size, Detroit one year. All have a "stud" dman and top 3 picks.

Forwards

SB is done and will be too old in 3 years, his 18 goals a season need to be 20+ goals, need, a 2nd line guy.

Roussel playing with Horvat will need an upgrade and a scorer if Horvat is to be a second line guy. Another top 6 player.

Boeser and EP, with a host of others, need, a top six guy.

Jake hovering around a 2nd line to 4th line guy.

That isn't counting bottom 6 talent, usually large energy guys, Gaudette and ?

On defence name the keepers and then add from there, Tanev gone, Edler gone, Schenn gone, Pouliot gone, there is two, Biega gone, there is 3 higher skilled bigger players needed.

Goal, a 33 yr old Markstrom or Demko? A back up?

Leivo is a good 3rd line guy, Guadette a 3rd line guy, Motte a 4th line guy, Granlund maybe gone, Lind and Gadovitch, from reports they are not transitioning to the AHL very well

Most of the true cup contenders have a second line and third line equal to bottom feeders top 6. Ideally Horvat would become the team's 3rd line center with EP and another ahead with Guadette being the fourth line center. That means the team has depth at center and that is a preferred thing.

Wingers of Boeser, maybe Goldy, marginal Virtanen and that's it.

3rd/4th

Motte, Guadette, Leivo, Pearson?, Lind?.

Any players picked up have to be better than the group on this team now, they have to be compared to the NHL standard overall, Vegas just demonstrated the difference between selecting good NHL players vs merely better than roster holders on bad teams, AHLer's.

Your crystal ball is very flawed and myopic. 

• Hydration 1

The Golden Knights really exposed our weaknesses. Their 2nd line would be a guaranteed 1st line on any team. And well......need I say more?

Basically we lack in depth at most positions right now.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

and here is where cookie cutter concepts break down.

Granlund may have been on the "4th line" but he lead the entire forward group in ice-time (second only to Edler on the entire team).

Were you also happy to see him get over 21 minutes of ice-time?   Not as peripheral as you're suggesting.

I'm most happy when I don't have to watch Granlund at all.

On some teams, like the Canucks, the fourth line sometimes plays more than they should.

The point is he was on the fourth line, and I'd much rather watch someone else in that role.

Icing on the cake is that he's not on the first, or the second, or even the third line.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Who's jobs do you guys think are at stake as we end yet another losing season? Its a sliding scale for me.

Pouliot is definitely gone

Schenn is gone

Eriksson is gone if they can get around his contract

Goldobin is playing for his job

Shaller I hope is gone, but probably not

Sutter I hope is gone, but probably not

Granlund is probably back. Green/Management like him as B6/depth.

Hutton is a trade chip 

Virtanen is a trade chip

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Who's jobs do you guys think are at stake as we end yet another losing season? Its a sliding scale for me.

Pouliot is definitely gone

Schenn is gone

Eriksson is gone if they can get around his contract

Goldobin is playing for his job

Shaller I hope is gone, but probably not

Sutter I hope is gone, but probably not

Granlund is probably back. Green/Management like him as B6/depth.

Hutton is a trade chip 

Virtanen is a trade chip

doubt there thinking of trading Virt.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

It's his job. He works for the site and I'm not joking. But he won't admit it. 

His post had the assists on the last goal before the announcement in the arena... Maybe hes a hockey God.

25 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

doubt there thinking of trading Virt.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were. When Benning lists names about the young core you don't hear Virtanen. And Travis Green said the other day Virtanen has made some progress but still has a ways to go.

Benning has talked about making trades, well you have to give something to get something. We don't exactly have alot of valuable & expendable assets. Virtanen could be one. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they were. When Benning lists names about the young core you don't hear Virtanen. And Travis Green said the other day Virtanen has made some progress but still has a ways to go.

Benning has talked about making trades, well you have to give something to get something. We don't exactly have alot of valuable & expendable assets. Virtanen could be one. 

He’s our only young forward who hits and isn’t a pushover. Horvat rarely throws hits. It would be a mistake to trade him imo. His game in the neutral zone is elite. Almost every shift he’s stealing thepuck from someone. I think in a year or 2 his offense will start to pick up. Once we get to the playoffs people will start to see his value.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

He’s our only young forward who hits and isn’t a pushover. Horvat rarely throws hits. It would be a mistake to trade him imo. His game in the neutral zone is elite. Almost every shift he’s stealing thepuck from someone. I think in a year or 2 his offense will start to pick up. Once we get to the playoffs people will start to see his value.

Virtanen hits but he isn't a PWF. He doesn't really drive the net or use his strength advantage. He's got a good shot & unquestionable skating ability. He is great in the neutral zone & zone entries, but not as good in the O-zone.

He's a fast & strong scorer who doesn't score consistently. Atleast so far imo.

If he could be apart of getting a top 4 D or top 6 F that's also young(ish), I'd be looking at that. But I can definitely understand wanting to wait it out with Jake. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

Wow.... Nice one. Thanks

In amongst all the infighting a really positive post... Agree 100%

Need to know though, FA is this you....? :ph34r:

:bigblush:

Seriously, tho, I think many fans need to look at how long it took the Sedins, Kesler, Eddie, Bieksa, etc. to get to the finals, and what they had to go through to finally one day get there. I mean, this is Petey's first year, Brock's second, well, you get the idea. Sure, we all want to win now, but I, for one, as cliche as it sounds, enjoy the journey to get there, and the lows are just as important and exciting to go through than the ups.

• Hydration 1

5 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Exactly why Ferland has to be a priority this off-season

He would be a nice addition. If he is healthy

• Hydration 1

2 hours ago, NexusRift said:

The Golden Knights really exposed our weaknesses. Their 2nd line would be a guaranteed 1st line on any team. And well......need I say more?

Basically we lack in depth at most positions right now.

Our bottom six are match up alright against most teams. Our top six has two holes on the left side that are up for grabs this fall. We need to turn the corner quick or nobody will want to come play here. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

Anyone see this guy on twitter saying Green told Eriksson last season that he doesn’t deserve his contract.

https://twitter.com/HarrisonMooney/status/1106010266737754112?s=20

Mooney is a complete asshat amateur wadr (in a sea of them in Vancouver) - I wouldn't take a word he says to the bank - he's just another Van media wannabee who has earned literally no credibility / who his 'sources' are is dubious at best.

Green would never say something like that publicly, whether he believes/thinks it or not.

• Hydration 1