The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Rangers at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 13, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, riffraff said:

The league balance is shifting to more of youth talent.  Kids are coming into the league much closer to being ready or totally ready to be in the nhl and possibly being an impact player than ever before.

That I agree with, but not because they are etter, but because they are cheaper.  Teams are overpaying the top end players, so the guys in the middle get squeezed out by players on cheap ELC deals.  They're not better players than the guys they are replacing, just cheaper.

Obviously there are lots of good young stars, but that's nothing new.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I wasn't talking about protection for stars in any way.  I was talking about youth in the league being nothing new.  I'm all on board for going after Ferland in the summer.

I'm on board for switching any player not willing to send messages when teammates take dirty shots. Horvat needs to step up in that category, along with many other individualistic Nucks. Getting Ferland would only be a partial solution, like Dors.

3 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

I'm on board for switching any player not willing to send messages when teammates take dirty shots. Horvat needs to step up in that category, along with many other individualistic Nucks. Getting Ferland would only be a partial solution, like Dors.

while I agree they need some toughness and grit in there, that simply is not how the game is played anymore

48 minutes ago, stawns said:

while I agree they need some toughness and grit in there, that simply is not how the game is played anymore

I keep hearing this and then we see ep targeted......again

snd let’s even leave ep out of it for argument sake.  It’s the hacks and wacks that our best two men take every night especially noticeable in the rangers game, that nobody does anything about.

this team just takes it. We don’t respond and we don’t initiate.  It has to change.

49 minutes ago, stawns said:

The decrease in teams ( Vancouvers) ability to stand up for there teammates has resulted and will continue to result in more head trauma and cheap shots overall against the skilled players. Whatever game we are playing doesn't seem to be working. Tom Wilson and Ryan Reaves protect all the players on there teams and those two teams were in the cup final. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

That I agree with, but not because they are etter, but because they are cheaper.  Teams are overpaying the top end players, so the guys in the middle get squeezed out by players on cheap ELC deals.  They're not better players than the guys they are replacing, just cheaper.

Obviously there are lots of good young stars, but that's nothing new.

Agree. There's a lot of mid/ low end NHLers either taking lowball contracts or being pushed out of the NHL. The NHLPA appears to concentrate on the 'elite' only. Would not be surprised if things get ugly within the NHLPA ! The top end salaries are taking too much of the cap.

7 hours ago, stawns said:

it's the same thing as when Orr came in, when Gretz came in, when Lindros came in, when sid and ovie came.........it's nothing new.  The only thing new is that they are moving to younger, cheaper players to fill holes because they are overpaying 

Yeah pretty much...

57 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Agree. There's a lot of mid/ low end NHLers either taking lowball contracts or being pushed out of the NHL. The NHLPA appears to concentrate on the 'elite' only. Would not be surprised if things get ugly within the NHLPA ! The top end salaries are taking too much of the cap.

A player cap in the mix would be an interesting idea..

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Up until the playoffs your right but after that, all bets are off and teams will do anything to win the cup and if it means beating the crap out of a higher skilled team to do it, it'll happen as it always has

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I wasn't talking about protection for stars in any way.  I was talking about youth in the league being nothing new.  I'm all on board for going after Ferland in the summer.

Yeah i hope we get him too, not only tough but has skill, love some of the hits he does.

On 3/13/2019 at 10:58 PM, SergioMomesso said:

I’m sure some other guy who’s last name started with a G did it in 9 seconds. 

Yes, as I mentioned after this post I was repeating what the announcers were reporting , I did correct myself ;) 

10 hours ago, NHTyrany said:

So how do you think Edmonton would have reacted to a similar elbow on Gretzky? I know it's off point but I'm suggesting this is also something new in today's league.  

Umm a young messier would have been all over you for that but not on the canucks, can't seem to find a young messier to put with brock and petey as it's been for years with the twins save anson carter but maybe one of these days?

On 3/14/2019 at 7:21 PM, Jester13 said:

I may have been young back then, but I've also been watching since the 80s as well, so have been through most of the franchise's heartache. I would think it's obvious that I always want them to win the damn thing, but I understand the ebbs and flows of professional sports teams. 

I guess I'm just a little more optimistic than some because Benning has turned this ship around incredibly quickly since getting the green light from FA. He's changing our franchise for decades to come, in that he is creating a culture of draft and develop, and he now has the owner bought into it as well; something this franchise had never had a culture of, so, yeah, I'm enjoying this new wave of talent like we've never seen all at once before. 

Did you notice in all that time we never had anyone big tough and skilled to put with our stars on first line, less anson carter i guess.. 

Anyway it was fun watching a seasonal team that got beat on and quickly ousted in the playoffs, however that got old fast! Used to listen to canucks on the radio first then tv a bit later, that as a 10 year old in 74 and i'm still f'n waiting for mr stanley

sigh..  :(  shrugs... 

meh! 

Anyway JB is doing ok since he was handed a disaster and people forget that or don't want to believe it... like it or not it was a mess with not much depth either, and there most serious shot we ever had was shot to $&!#e by a thing called a salary cap

On 3/14/2019 at 9:29 PM, BPA said:

If the Canucks wanted truculence, they should have drafted the Tkachuks.

I think the problem some of us see with this regime is that Jim + Travis do not want truculence.

Archived