The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kreider fined

Just now, Master Mind said:

Based on thread title I thought Elliotte Friedman was fined :lol:

I think what Kreider did was worse than Voracek and that got 2 games. Can't say I'm surprised.

Lol I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that. 

I think it was suspension worthy. But the NHL disciplinary committee has zero consistency.

I suspect it's seen as a reckless hockey play with an emphasis on it being reckless but still a hockey play.  Initiators of hits often do turn like Kreider did but he did it very recklessly.  It's hard to establish intent to injure so recklessness is probably the most that can for sure be concluded.  I'm not saying I agree with this line of reasoning but it's what I assume the DOPS considered.

There might have been a case for a suspension considering what Voracek got for standing up Boychuk (which Voracek also received a major for but was allowed to continue playing).  I'm guessing the league factored in Kreider being tossed however, and also possibly the fact that the Rangers lost the game.

I'm not usually a fan of DOPS decisions but this is one decision where I didn't think there even be any supplemental discipline after Kreider's ejection.  Not saying they got it right or wrong - consistency is still a major problem - but it's good that they at least did something a bit more.

When the players police themselves there is no need to rely on a shady, corrupted DOPS. 

Anyone with half a brain realized this is what would be happening without enforcement in the NHL. For all those who were happy with the removal of fighting, you better not be complaining right now. 

Just now, RRypien37 said:

When the players police themselves there is no need to rely on a shady, corrupted DOPS. 

Anyone with half a brain realized this is what would be happening without enforcement in the NHL. For all those who were happy with the removal of fighting, you better not be complaining right now. 

I love fighting in the heat of the battle, staged fights are crap imo. 

The addition of the stupid instigator rule was the start of this. If they want to keep that rule and maintain integrity of the game than the instigator should fall on the player who instigated the fight by committing the cheap shot in the first place. Not the player sticking up for the injured teammate. 

2 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

That elbow was timed better than some elbows I've seen thrown in MMA! Obviously we can't know what's in his mind and his motivation in the moment,  but it looked intentional to me.

It was every bit as accidental as Kassian’s stick swing on Gagner imo and that got a multi game suspenion. 

7 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I love fighting in the heat of the battle, staged fights are crap imo. 

The addition of the stupid instigator rule was the start of this. If they want to keep that rule and maintain integrity of the game than the instigator should fall on the player who instigated the fight by committing the cheap shot in the first place. Not the player sticking up for the injured teammate. 

You literally quote every single post of mine regarding toughness/fighting/physicality. I get it, you don't want it in the game. I made no mention of staged fights. We will never agree on this clearly. You like your new age style of play, I like a hard nosed, entertaining, tough style of play. 

Archived