Sign in to follow this  
canuckistani

[Proposal] Van and St. Louis trade

To St. Louis : Tanev ( 50% retained, ie, 2,225,000 cap hit) + 2ndR

To Vancouver: Paryako.

or:

To St.Louis: Tanev(50% retained) + Leivo

To Vancouver: Paryako

Is that a fair deal ? do St.Louis bite ?

4 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I think any trade involving Paryako could start with a 1st round pick. He is blue chip.

This 

2 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I think any trade involving Paryako could start with a 1st round pick. He is blue chip.

well there are two avenues to trade in general for a blue chip guy : 

1. route A: high draft pick (R1) + blue chip prospect + decent current roster player

2. route B: nearly a blue-chip player + pot sweetener.

We don't want to go route 1, but route 2 is still something that is possible. St.Louis are a playoff bound team - they may not want to give up a blue chip guy that sets them back in the immediate future (unless they win it all this year) and rebuild again. They may be more interested in route B - something that marginally decreases their current position ( or keeps it stagnant) while adding to their future ( as a R2 or Leivo would). IMO for teams in the contender mode, route-2 is a more realistic goal to aim for when making an offer.

Paryako is on their 2nd unit for PP and PK based on ice time ( 3rd highest TOI for defenceman in PP, 5th highest TOI for defenceman on PK)

Tanev is on our 1st unit PK ( 1st amongst all skaters in TOI) and 20th in the list of skaters for PP time. St Louis is most likley going to louse Boumeester in UFA this summer, who is their #1 defenceman in PK time. 

I think Tanev's lack of PP utility/booming cannon of a shot makes him a little less desirable than Paryako and would require a 'pot sweetner' but i still think this is more likely an outcome than route A.

Teams will Never give you much for Tanev at this stage of his career..This is his last 7yrs games played..

7yrs ago 38 games

6yrs ago 64 games

5yrs ago 70 games

4yrs ago 69 games

3yrs ago 53 games

2yrs ago 42 games

currents season 54 games with 12 games left -- 66 games

Tanev only has 1 yr left and has history of injuries..3 years ago was the time to get best deal for Tanev...

Lucky now to get middle 2nd rounder or good prospect between 22-24.....Canuck fans forget that all hockey people know all about Tanev and injuries..

2 hours ago, canuckistani said:

well there are two avenues to trade in general for a blue chip guy : 

1. route A: high draft pick (R1) + blue chip prospect + decent current roster player

2. route B: nearly a blue-chip player + pot sweetener.

We don't want to go route 1, but route 2 is still something that is possible. St.Louis are a playoff bound team - they may not want to give up a blue chip guy that sets them back in the immediate future (unless they win it all this year) and rebuild again. They may be more interested in route B - something that marginally decreases their current position ( or keeps it stagnant) while adding to their future ( as a R2 or Leivo would). IMO for teams in the contender mode, route-2 is a more realistic goal to aim for when making an offer.

Paryako is on their 2nd unit for PP and PK based on ice time ( 3rd highest TOI for defenceman in PP, 5th highest TOI for defenceman on PK)

Tanev is on our 1st unit PK ( 1st amongst all skaters in TOI) and 20th in the list of skaters for PP time. St Louis is most likley going to louse Boumeester in UFA this summer, who is their #1 defenceman in PK time. 

I think Tanev's lack of PP utility/booming cannon of a shot makes him a little less desirable than Paryako and would require a 'pot sweetner' but i still think this is more likely an outcome than route A.

I partially agree with you. I think your evaluation of what it takes to trade for a player like Paryako is correct. I think what you are offering is no where near that. A blue chip, 25 year old, right handed shot is worth gold in the league. The last comparable similar to him I recall being dealt was Jones, and he returned a 1C. I think that is where St.Louis starts their conversation. They would want Horvat, Boeser, or Petey in a hockey trade.

If we are pooling together resources for a trade, I think Tanev is the sweetner, not the pot. I believe his value right now is a 2nd or low 1st. Levio was recently traded for an AHL player with low likelyhood of every seeing NHL time. While the trade has looked fantastic for us thus far, I do not see him holding much value in the league. 

I do not think we have the pieces without offering up one of our core players, or our 1st round pick to acquire a player like Paryako. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I partially agree with you. I think your evaluation of what it takes to trade for a player like Paryako is correct. I think what you are offering is no where near that. A blue chip, 25 year old, right handed shot is worth gold in the league. The last comparable similar to him I recall being dealt was Jones, and he returned a 1C. I think that is where St.Louis starts their conversation. They would want Horvat, Boeser, or Petey in a hockey trade.

If we are pooling together resources for a trade, I think Tanev is the sweetner, not the pot. I believe his value right now is a 2nd or low 1st. Levio was recently traded for an AHL player with low likelyhood of every seeing NHL time. While the trade has looked fantastic for us thus far, I do not see him holding much value in the league. 

I do not think we have the pieces without offering up one of our core players, or our 1st round pick to acquire a player like Paryako. 

Thank you for an intelligent response but i seriously think Tanev is being undervalued here. An elite PK-er in the league is not someone to scoff at. He isn't exactly long in the tooth either - he is older, but he still has 6-7 years of excellence ahead of him.

As per Leivo, its not that TO thought he is worth an AHL guy, its more like they couldn't afford to keep him in their roster mix (same thing as waiver issues we faced with MDZ) and preferred to get something than losing him on waivers.

3 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Thank you for an intelligent response but i seriously think Tanev is being undervalued here. An elite PK-er in the league is not someone to scoff at. He isn't exactly long in the tooth either - he is older, but he still has 6-7 years of excellence ahead of him.

Firstly, Tanev has not had a good year.  We would be asking another team to bank on him returning to form.

You also bank on that team accepting Tanev's endless injuries, or hoping that he will at least magically stop getting injured.

As good as I agree Tanev is (or at least has been for us) I feel his value is at an all time low.

Obviously the salary retention helps (provided we can take another one on without reaching what I believe is a limit).

12 hours ago, canuckistani said:

To St. Louis : Tanev ( 50% retained, ie, 2,225,000 cap hit) + 2ndR

To Vancouver: Paryako.

or:

To St.Louis: Tanev(50% retained) + Leivo

To Vancouver: Paryako

Is that a fair deal ? do St.Louis bite ?

St.Louis laughs, farts in the receiver, and then hangs up.

The conversation *starts* with our 2019 1st rounder if we want anything to do with Paryako.