The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evander Kane latest NHL to have a still born

Squamfan

14 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

He might not be the best guy on the ice but you never wish this upon anyone. All the best to you and your family, Evander.

Exactly this, not a fan of some of the stuff he's done in the past but he definitely doesn't deserve this. At least he has Karlsson as a teammate to understand and help him and his wife with what they're going through. 

Terrible stuff for him and his wife to go through. I imagine though, it would be so much more difficult after having the baby and then losing her. Not trying to be insensitive, just putting things into perspective. Hope they can heal from this and one day welcome a healthy child.   

As someone who has had experienced similar, it's pretty much the worst feeling anyone can feel.  At 26 weeks... you can clearly see all the fingers, toes, facial features... it's a little person. 

RIP to the little one and condolences to the Kane family.

:(

52 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

sadly, stillbirths are trending upwards more and more in recent years. it's terrible and no one really knows why. that's an awful thing to have to go through it doesn't matter who you are

Apparently preemie birth rate is growing, like 1 in 9 births.

The bright side is that side is that survival rates are climbing too.  

My heart breaks for Kane and his family there truly is no worse loss then that of a baby. I hope they are able to find support and healing in such a horrible time.

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Some things we just don't need to post or comment on.  This would be one of them

As someone who has  actually gone through this (as well as suffered additional miscarriages) I have to disagree.

It is very important to not only honor the baby whose  life was lost but also recognize that those who have suffered such a loss are still parents.

It's important to let Kane (and other families like his) know they are not alone.

Its especially important to help spread awareness about stillbirth and infant loss as it happens way to much. The worse possible thing someone could do is not talk about stillbirth.

3 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

sadly, stillbirths are trending upwards more and more in recent years. it's terrible and no one really knows why. that's an awful thing to have to go through it doesn't matter who you are

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

As someone who has had experienced similar, it's pretty much the worst feeling anyone can feel.  At 26 weeks... you can clearly see all the fingers, toes, facial features... it's a little person. 

RIP to the little one and condolences to the Kane family.

:(

Apparently preemie birth rate is growing, like 1 in 9 births.

The bright side is that side is that survival rates are climbing too.  

We know why. Though it absolutely does not apply in EK's case, its to do with massive spike in pregnancies at over 30. Western world for the past 2 generation cycles ( as in ~ 20 year periods) is the first time in human history where the dominant majority of mothers are over 30. While pregnancy complications shoot up in the +40 year age group, it still has a noticable uptick in the +30 group compared to below 30.

On 3/14/2019 at 8:43 PM, Twilight Sparkle said:

With population growing so will these unfortunate numbers. I don't think it's so much that it's happening at a higher rate, I just think it's due to population growth.

The more grapes you have the more bad ones your going to have.

Very sad story, not a fan of Evander as a hockey player, but nobody should have to bury a child. Wish him well while he battles with this hard time

16 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

that's a very bad analogy and you should probably stop posting rn

Nice attempt at twisting my words around. Terrible that you'd try and make me out like some bad guy. Especially with such a touchy subject

Recently a friend told me some interesting stats about miscarriages.  Now I know that in Kane's situation, it wouldn't classify as a miscarriage because it came after the 20th week.  

Apparently 15 to 20% of pregnancies end up in a miscarriage.  This number is probably even a lot higher except that a lot of women don't even realize that they're pregnant if it results in an early miscarriage.  

Just some food for thought.  It's a taboo subject, but it really shouldn't be.  If people knew how frequent it is, it would be easier to talk about it.  

Archived