The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Markstrom now the Elite Goalie he was always projected to be?

*Buzzsaw*

Marktrom now an Elite Goalie?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Does Jacob Markstrom deserve a longterm contract?

• Yes, the Canucks should sign him longterm... at least 5 years
    • No, Markstrom is still just a placeholder while the team develops Demko and Di Pietro... no longterm contract.. max 2 years
    • Sign Markstrom to a mid range contract... 3 years

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/06/2019 at 05:26 AM

19 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I don't agree.  Easy to say now that he has faltered big time but I think if you asked most after he posted 6 seasons better than .92 save percentage (several times closer to .93) I think they would say he was elite at that time.  Apparently it didnt last long but that's a half dozen years of really good hockey.

As for Markstrom, he did very well this year considering our questionable/depleted defense.  If he was on a better team, I would say he has been quite average as a starter. Even as it stands I do not feel he has played extremely well long enough to be called elite.  If he carries this play through all of next season then I will become a believer but at this time I don't think it is realistic to label him with any title quite yet.  Many players (especially goalies) have managed good runs only to have their deficiencies exposed soon enough.

If we did re-sign Marky, I think we would basically have to move Demko or potentially lose him in expansion. He might garner a good return; package him with Goldie and/or Hutton for a top LW or D prospect maybe?

You could argue that by being on a better team, he’d be an excellent starter. 

2 hours ago, GreyHatnDart said:

You could argue that by being on a better team, he’d be an excellent starter. 

You could argue it, but it would only be an opinion without supporting metrics that show that the quality of shots Markstrom faced were of higher quality than that of such a team.

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

You could argue it, but it would only be an opinion without supporting metrics that show that the quality of shots Markstrom faced were of higher quality than that of such a team.

Assumedly a poor defensive team is going to give up more shots and scoring chances than a strong offensive team. 

Assumedly a more offensive team is going to give a greater cushion and therefore a larger margin of error for a goaltender. 

I’d wager that if you looked back through some of hockey’s greatest goalies, the majority of them played for really great teams. 

Based on the team infront  of Markstrom this season, he’s elite there is no doubt. Canuck fans are notorious for beating down on great goaltending and even that’s not happening to Markstrom. He’s quietly gone about his game and made the improvements needed. Just listening to Green speak about Marky has to give you confidence that the organization is happy with his play. He’s deserving of the recognition and the team award this season MVP. 

We will see him in top stats lines next three seasons is my guess unless injury occurs or some D men games don’t rise to expectations. With a better defensive core that will move the puck quicker from the zone to faster more agile and talented forwards learning to play in the NHL, forwards who are learning to take care of home base first from TG coaching, all signs point to a stellar season 2019/2020 for Markstrom. 

Our team defence was porous and thanks to this, Markstrom became the goalie he is today. 

As people mentioned on a better team, don’t think he would’ve developed like he would this season cause he would’ve seen less shots and would have a better defence in front of him. 

On 3/14/2019 at 4:00 PM, Fateless said:

Markstrom's GAA is currently 0.04 worse than last year and his SV% is only 0.001 better than last year. We all agree that Markstrom has LOOKED better this year, but statistically he hasn't really improved. I think Markstrom has done well at making "big saves" this year which has granted him some leeway with the eye test, but he's still letting in as many goals as he always have. Markstrom is what he is at this point and I'd rather we focus on developing our goaltender of the future in Demko and DiPietro rather than risk slowing their development to give the crease to a goalie who hasn't really improved much over the last couple of years.

Oct and Nov brought his his overall stats down significantly. If you look from Dec forward he has improved substantially from last year.

14 hours ago, kloubek said:

If we did re-sign Marky, I think we would basically have to move Demko or potentially lose him in expansion. He might garner a good return; package him with Goldie and/or Hutton for a top LW or D prospect maybe?

I am pretty sure Demko will be exempt. “* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.”

18 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

I am pretty sure Demko will be exempt. “* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.”

Demko needs to be protected.  He has already 3 years of pro hockey.  As of age 20 - 1 game in any top tier pro league counts as 1 season.

I would not extend Markstrom. He has a year left on his contract and I think he is only a starting goalie for a non-playoff team. I would never extend a goalie that is under contract and I would never give a goalie more then a 3 year contract.

His positional play is outstanding.  You can see the work done by Ian Clarke paying off. 

I would say he is bordering on elite status, but needs to have another full season at this level.  I have little doubt he will, with his compete level.

On 4/5/2019 at 12:07 PM, awalk said:

His positional play is outstanding.  You can see the work done by Ian Clarke paying off. 

I would say he is bordering on elite status, but needs to have another full season at this level.  I have little doubt he will, with his compete level.

You mean like Vezina candidate?

Marky has had one good year where he looks like a number one. He is 29. He is signed for one more year. Why extend. 

Start the year with both goalies and see how Demko plays. He is 23 and could be here long term. Under Clarke Marky has taken the next step. Maybe Demko shows he is a number one next year. Give Clarke a chance to work with him. I would rather my number one goal tender be 24 years old. He would grow and mature with the group. If he does well then move Marky next year for assets. 

The Oilers jumped all over their 30 year old goalie and now they have a guy who is unmovable. I think he has 4 mil for 4 years that starts next year.  Patients is required. One year is not patient. 

Archived