The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Markstrom now the Elite Goalie he was always projected to be?

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

Marktrom now an Elite Goalie?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Does Jacob Markstrom deserve a longterm contract?

• Yes, the Canucks should sign him longterm... at least 5 years
    • No, Markstrom is still just a placeholder while the team develops Demko and Di Pietro... no longterm contract.. max 2 years
    • Sign Markstrom to a mid range contract... 3 years

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/06/2019 at 05:26 AM

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol.. markstrom looked better this year.. but stat wise not really.. he's just not letting in as many bad goals.. he's slightly above average nothing more.. elite? lol

His numbers from December on, behind a decimated, rebuilding roster and bottom of the league D were pretty damn good.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Samgagner'sface said:

Ok. I thought one of the stumbling blocks with edlers contract negotiations was the NTC, because that meant we had to protect him 

NMC = automatic ED protection. NTC don't mean squat in relation to the ED.

That said, I'm sure Edler's management is asking for an NMC. Just as I'm equally sure there's no way in hell Benning's giving him one (for the ED year anyway).

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

His numbers from December on, behind a decimated, rebuilding roster and bottom of the league D were pretty damn good.

He was great in December he was great in Feb but he was avg in Jan and March as reflected by his gaa at almost 3.0 in both of those months not saying it's his fault but at the end of the day the goalie is viewed by their ability to keep the puck out.

On 4/8/2019 at 8:14 AM, Samgagner'sface said:

Weird question. What would happen if a team had 2 goalies under contract with NTC when the expansion draft happens?

They'd still only be able to protect 1 as NTC hold no obligation to the Expansion draft.

if you're meaning NMC then they would be forced to protect both goalies and 7 skaters

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

They'd still only be able to protect 1 as NTC hold no obligation to the Expansion draft.

if you're meaning NMC then they would be forced to protect both goalies and 7 skaters

That's where I misunderstood. Thanks! I also thought you could only protect one goalie.  Thought it might have been an issue if  expansion rules forced you to protect only one goalie but contracts forced you to protect two 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Samgagner'sface said:

That's where I misunderstood. Thanks! I also thought you could only protect one goalie.  Thought it might have been an issue if  expansion rules forced you to protect only one goalie but contracts forced you to protect two 

At the last ED, there were two options for our protected list. Neither allowed us to protect two goalies !

4 minutes ago, Samgagner'sface said:

So I wonder what would happen if you had two goalies with NMC's?

Probably a moot point, NMCs are for elite players. Be very odd to have a back up goalie with a NMC . If it did happen.......it's hard to say.

• Cheers 1

On 3/14/2019 at 3:41 PM, *Buzzsaw* said:

There is no question Jacob Markstrom has seen this season transform his career trajectory.

He has posted better numbers and performed better than all recent expectations... despite playing behind a porous defense.

But is this really a surprise?  Markstrom when originally drafted was projected to be an elite goaltender... a franchise piece.

The question is, has he finally reached his potential?  Or is this season an anomaly.... and just a blip in his career of underachievement?

There is also the fact his contract expires in 2019... what do the Canucks offer him?

How much weight will he gain over the summer... you should make another poll.

Marky needs to continue improving and be consistent to be considered elite, but he allowed a lot fewer cheap goals this season, no early softies like last year and he was really good from December on. Hardly ever beaten on clean shots. 

Still a few deflections and screened shots that went through him at times that seemed questionable, I wonder if that’s the D not taking care of business or Marky’s positioning or both. 

• Upvote 1

I would have no issues going forward with Marky he was our best player and he kept us in games when our back end was missing it’s best and we were Injured... he has one poor stretch during the season but even the best goalies will do that, with the way dipietro is coming along I would be fine with moving demko out to solidify a weaker area in our prospect pool like the LW or RD 

• Cheers 1

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:41 PM, *Buzzsaw* said:

There is no question Jacob Markstrom has seen this season transform his career trajectory.

He has posted better numbers and performed better than all recent expectations... despite playing behind a porous defense.

But is this really a surprise?  Markstrom when originally drafted was projected to be an elite goaltender... a franchise piece.

The question is, has he finally reached his potential?  Or is this season an anomaly.... and just a blip in his career of underachievement?

There is also the fact his contract expires in 2019... what do the Canucks offer him?

sign him for and play him and demko tandem for 2 yrs and if demko works out then trade mark and move up mikey into a back up and if he gets good as a starter trade him for another Bo 

On 4/11/2019 at 10:54 PM, Westcoasting said:

How much weight will he gain over the summer... you should make another poll.

Another completely moronic reply which ignores the original valid question in favour of an attempted cheapshot.

The fact is, this is a good question and was answered in Marky's favour... and you are too stupid or too drunk to acknowlege that.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*

8 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Another completely moronic reply which ignores the original valid question in favour of an attempted cheapshot.

The fact is, this is a good question and was answered in Marky's favour... and you are too stupid or too drunk to acknowlege that.

The fact is your never ending polls are completely moronic.