The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] What Would You Trade If McDavid Is Available?

3 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

An outrageous suggestion BUT one that creates thought, especially when some media personalities mention his best years being used up.

He would yield a fortune in return, easily a Lindros comparison but to what end, it may decimate any team he goes to creating the same issues. Edmonton will be looking for top line players, prospects and picks in return.

Pretty sure Horvat would be a starting point with the Canucks and then go from there, maybe Boeser and two first round picks as well as Woo and Tryamkin, or even Hughes

Never happen.

Is McDavid amazing?  Absolutely.  Would I want him on this team?  Undoubtedly. 

But Oilers are proof that having him doesnt make a good team. We may have differing opinions on the elements that would be needed to acquire him but I think we can all agree the price would he absurd.  And that absurd price would effectively put this team (or almost any team) at nearly square one of rebuilding.

No thanks.

13 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think you probably start with EP, a good roster player like Roussel, Leivo, or Virtanen add a 1st (top 3-protected) and a B-level defensive prospect like Woo. I'm not even sure if that's enough, but maybe if you have two of Roussel, Leivo, and Virtanen it could be enough.

So in sum:

To Van:

C. McDavid

To Edm:

E. Pettersson

A. Roussel

J. Virtanen

2019/2020 1st round pick

Jett Woo

Seems like what it would take for an Edmonton fan to say it's fair.

That said, I wouldn't do this, because I believe that EP still has a ceiling that's insanely high and I think there's a lot of hidden value in guys like Roussel and Virtanen.

I think he is worth that much.

Hey, he is a great player but I think the Canucks would have to take back salary as well, they might want EP but more likely they want a proven solid center to start winning immediately, Horvat and likely a shooter, Boeser.

Bo, Brock, Hutton and 2022 - 1rst and two 2nds with Lucic coming back for McD and a 2019 - 1rst.

Usually whoever has the "bigger" piece is considered the loser in these deals but in a deal like that, instant scoring and point replacement, cap relief that a team can afford and an exchange of 1rsts, the Nucks getting an additional lottery pick in 2019.

Cap McD and Lucic = 18 mil, Bo, Brock, Ben = 16 mil, Ed can pursue any two of Trouba, Gadiner, Myers,... and another goalie.

It is really weird that McD's contract doesn't have a NTC or NMC for the first four years, doesn't anyone else think that as well, almost like leaving a trade option for Edmonton to get the most possible?

2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I think he is worth that much.

Hey, he is a great player but I think the Canucks would have to take back salary as well, they might want EP but more likely they want a proven solid center to start winning immediately, Horvat and likely a shooter, Boeser.

Bo, Brock, Hutton and 2022 - 1rst and two 2nds with Lucic coming back for McD and a 2019 - 1rst.

Usually whoever has the "bigger" piece is considered the loser in these deals but in a deal like that, instant scoring and point replacement, cap relief that a team can afford and an exchange of 1rsts, the Nucks getting an additional lottery pick in 2019.

Cap McD and Lucic = 18 mil, Bo, Brock, Ben = 16 mil, Ed can pursue any two of Trouba, Gadiner, Myers,... and another goalie.

It is really weird that McD's contract doesn't have a NTC or NMC for the first four years, doesn't anyone else think that as well, almost like leaving a trade option for Edmonton to get the most possible?

You can’t have a NTC OR NMC in years where you are still a RFA.  Those clauses can only be applied once he gets into his UFA years 

For us it is impossible, we would have to trade away so much that we would be in the same shape as Edmonton and be terrible while having the best player on the planet.

To play the game, I would give up.

Horvat, Virtanen, DiPietro, 2x1 rounders, maybe add in a 3rd 1st rounder a few years away conditional on us winning the Cup by then.

That would be a package that would interest a broke team like Ottawa... but doesn’t help Edmonton that much and another team would beat it.

I'd go...

Bo, Jake, OJ, Demko, + 1st 2020 (lottery protected) for McDavid.

VAN gets one of the best players in the game.

EDM gets arguably 5 x 1st round picks (yes I know Demko was not a 1st rounder).  They get a lot of nice pieces to speed up the rebuild.   Lol.

15 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

Pettersson

Boeser

2019 1st

2020 1st 

Dipietro

for

McDavid      

You are either nuts or a closet Oilers fan.   This trade would guarantee we don't make the playoffs, ever.  One player does not make a team!  

33 minutes ago, Zedlee said:

You are either nuts or a closet Oilers fan.   This trade would guarantee we don't make the playoffs, ever.  One player does not make a team!  

I know that and I don't want to do that trade all I'm saying is that that's what it would cost to get McDavid bro!

On 3/14/2019 at 4:08 PM, canuckistani said:

It simply boils down to if we think EP will be as good as/better deal than CMD or not. Because they are the like-for-like trade. We dont really win by having two super shooty-shooty centermen in our lineup as much as having a shooty centerman + allround centerman in Bo. Neither does Edmonton. 

And realistically any trade with CMD starts with a bona-fide blue chip emergent player coming back, not a boat load of R1s. Ie, its the EP ++ or Auston Matthews ++ type of deal to begin with.

I hope the Canucks would not even bother trying to trade for McDavid. It would gut the team.

And as we have seen in Edmonton, McDavid cannot win the cup by himself. He can't get into the playoffs by himself.

Ridiculous idea imo.

On 3/14/2019 at 10:01 PM, NHL'er said:

Horvat, Hughes, Demko and our 2019 First

Well those two 1st rounders are a complete waste if drafted by Edmonton. 

Horvat, Hughes and Demko can’t save that franchise. No one can. 

Only a fold or a relocation can.

On 3/15/2019 at 2:44 AM, morrissex95 said:

Pettersson

Boeser

2019 1st

2020 1st 

Dipietro

for

McDavid      

Same results. The two firsts are negative costs to Edmonton. They suck more at drafting than anything else.

On 3/15/2019 at 8:50 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

I hope the Canucks would not even bother trying to trade for McDavid. It would gut the team.

And as we have seen in Edmonton, McDavid cannot win the cup by himself. He can't get into the playoffs by himself.

Ridiculous idea imo.

Well, if there are no 1sts going the other way and Jim Benning is still the GM...

...I mean...

Archived