The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Global Student Strike for Climate Change

Roberts

Pointless. They probably threw all their trash and signs on the ground after. It's not like people aren't aware of climate change. It's not like we as humans can do anything about it.

How about telling China, India and Egypt to get their flipping act together? 70% of the world's ocean plastic comes from these 3 countries alone.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This narrative that always seems to pop up in climate threads, saying things like "if you drive a car, you can't complain about Climate Change" is disingenuous garbage.

For many people, a vehicle is a necessity. It doesn't mean that you can't do your part by taking public transportation when available, riding a bike when you can, (like @BPA) recycling, installing LED lights etc., etc....

I also completely disagree that we can't combat Climate Change without turning into some third-world dystopia. There's money to be made in Green Technology. What has to happen is some short-term pain for some long-term gain and governments need to stop bending over for powerful lobbies that want to maintain their bottom line by maintaining the status quo.

I agree. However, the narrative that DOES merit mention, is if you drive a car or live in the first world, you don't get to campaign against oil pipelines, which have a knock on effect on the poorer in the world. It boils down to ' driving is bad, but i need to, but i am gonna block it so poorer people than me can't afford to have a bus to send their kids to school, as i am messing with the world's oil supply logistics and cutting the poor out'. 

1 hour ago, naslund.is.king said:

Why would you skip class to protest? Really??

Maybe thats the excuse but you're supposed to go find someone to practice anatomy on..go get high 

Protest? 

Kids these days

You should really study the Indian independence struggle and modern Indian public protests to see the power of protests. These kids are the future voting block. And skipping a day of Canadian school is not gonna break them  - its not like our school system is actually very good or anything. 

22 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Pointless. They probably threw all their trash and signs on the ground after. It's not like people aren't aware of climate change. It's not like we as humans can do anything about it.

How about telling China, India and Egypt to get their flipping act together? 70% of the world's ocean plastic comes from these 3 countries alone.

Not pointless at all, the amount of attention, new people educated on the subject and learning to make smarter choices and push society's norm is growing and gaining traction. As these people start building careers after schooling they will push more and more green technologies, more policy and overall change. There will always be polluters, indifferent people, and those who see the idea of a healthier future as daunting.

You just have to look around at all the new technologies and ways of thinking, changes as small as plastic straws alone makes a difference, everyone can do their little part for the collective.

As for protesters and signage, trash, they make biodegradable signs and paints etc now, many politicians use these and make a point of it. Little things.

I doubt you do but when it's been one lie after another I'm not buying anything. Al Gore's infamous predictions have all failed and the world has not ended yet.

I'll let Patrick Moore the founder of Greenpeace speak for me

14 minutes ago, gerry35 said:

I doubt you do but when it's been one lie after another I'm not buying anything. Al Gore's infamous predictions have all failed and the world has not ended yet.

Al Gore is not a scientist. 

I highly doubt you have the actual training to understand science - if you did, the data is incontrovertible and would be apparent. As it is to over 95% of people with actual Science & Engineering qualifications.

14 minutes ago, gerry35 said:

I'll let Patrick Moore the founder of Greenpeace speak for me

He isn't really a scientist, neither is he actually denying climate change per se. He is saying that there is a lot of rabble-rousing in it, which is true for anything with mass presence. 

• Upvote 2

• 6 months later...
On 3/15/2019 at 2:50 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

This narrative that always seems to pop up in climate threads, saying things like "if you drive a car, you can't complain about Climate Change" is disingenuous garbage.

For many people, a vehicle is a necessity. It doesn't mean that you can't do your part by taking public transportation when available, riding a bike when you can, (like @BPA) recycling, installing LED lights etc., etc....

I also completely disagree that we can't combat Climate Change without turning into some third-world dystopia. There's money to be made in Green Technology. What has to happen is some short-term pain for some long-term gain and governments need to stop bending over for powerful lobbies that want to maintain their bottom line by maintaining the status quo.

Well Said Rupert - yes we have to drive but as you said we can car pool, use public transportation AND choose to purchase and drive vehicles with better fuel economy. We can recycle, choose energy efficient appliances etc. I am 50 yrs old and I have started doing all of these things - I have a 4 cylinder vehicle which gets great gas mileage and thats my daily driver. I recycle every damn thing I can and as I have upgraded my appliances etc the number one thing I look for is energy efficiency. Am I doing enough - no not yet but doing as much as I can. maybe if everyone quit b*tching about kids today and realized they actually give a sh*t about this planet and tried to be more like them we wouldn't be where we are today. YES we still need oil etc but as others have pointed out we need to move away from our reliance on these things and support green technology as it becomes available. Its the little things that make the biggest difference. Simple things like recycling, reducing electricity and gas consumption can go a long way to helping. Burying our heads in the sand and ridiculing those who are taking action on climate change is not the answer.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1