The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Global Student Strike for Climate Change

Roberts

If Vancouverites really care about the environment, they should be demanding that Translink, the city, and the provincial government.... be allowed to issue out bonds to fund massive infrastructures.  

Extending the Canada line to Tsawwassen and to the North Shore.  Then a separate line from Capilano College to Horseshoe Bay.  Millennium line to UBC.  Expo line to Abbotsford.  Evergreen line extended to Maple Ridge.  Another line connect that Maple Ridge station to the Expo line and then extend to White Rock (integrate with that proposed bullet train along the I5).  Maybe another line from White Rock to connect back to the Canada line to lessen the reliance on the aging Expo line.  

It would probably cut traffic by like 25%.  Plan for the next 50-100 years.... not just for the next election.  The future for green transportation isn't more bike lanes, it's mass transit.  

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

FB_IMG_1569330736139.jpg.4fef3586e6892ed72db8a251fede5185.jpgDid it work, did the climate change?

Gawd I hope so, cuz I'm sick of snow in December 

Apparently, yes it did. A UN official warned in 1989 of disastrous flooding worldwide if no action taken. As we can see disaster was avoided by listening to the UN back then and we moved dryly into the new millennium.

Edited by nucklehead
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Should've mobilized to plant some trees. Not .. do nothing. 

Hey, they didn't do nothing!

They skipped class & ditched work, and made a bunch of one-off signs that probably got thrown in the trash.

And it changed the hearts and minds of the entire world...

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Would not buying things from China, Walmart, Superstore, etc, where goods are sourced from substandard practices which result in pollution, be a start? 

The earth is very much in for a seriously dire climate change, regardless if humans are strutting around on its surface like the plague we are. 

The raping of the oceans, deforestation and fracking currently occurring in countries and by populations far away from the West, and the majority of these protesters-in-creed, are going to prevent what, exactly, and exactly which aspect of climate change? 

Like I’ve said elsewhere, once one of these many, long overdue seismic or cosmic event-cycles finally starts back up, choking the skies beyond our comprehension, Al Gore and David Suzuki will forget all about trying to convince us all that humans are at all relevant in earth’s climate change. 

Meanwhile, unless you are radically different from the rest of us humans, by all means, behave as you should in our environment.

But don’t lecture me about how to prevent climate change in the West when you consume, like our education system has taught us “wised-up consumers”, products of the mega corporations like Walmart who source products from offshore mega polluters.

Your new iPhones and internet connections probably caused more climate change than Tolko, for instance, will ever have, obviously.

Kids in the West, look at where your products come from and start there if you want to effect policy and global change, purely by economics as the consumer. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Upvote 1

Oh god the left really loves to eat itself

Roll the triggered dice... damn... white climate activists.

She is a spoiled white rich kid though and I do agree there are plenty more real candidates out there to speak on behalf of the young generation that a rich kid from Sweden who wasn't even going to school in the first place, her school strike was made up, but that's something you won't hear in the media.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Should've mobilized to plant some trees. Not .. do nothing. 

They didn't "do nothing".  They expressed their concern that their future may be being screwed up by old folks (ie anyone over 30).  And, it seems to me, that having your future screwed up by other people is a legitimate cause for concern and it makes sense to speak up about it.

I was downtown in Vancouver on Friday and watched some of the march.  I thought it was pretty impressive.  Hopefully it may turn out that their concern is unfounded but, based on what they're being told by scientists and politicians, their reaction is quite sensible to me.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

They didn't "do nothing".  They expressed their concern that their future may be being screwed up by old folks (ie anyone over 30).  And, it seems to me, that having your future screwed up by other people is a legitimate cause for concern and it makes sense to speak up about it.

How is their future being screwed up by older folks. These kids global emissions footprint is bigger than any of the past generation by a long shot.  They all want cellphones by 10 years old, video games, computers and TV's in every room, they need air conditioning, they all need to fly on family vacations, they all want their meat production with no added hormones or steroids, non GMO plants with no pesticides, can't take transit or bike, gotta have their parents chauffeur them to school every day.  They want change, they just don't understand the sacrifices in their own lives that it will take, to get the change. 

That's the problem today with climate alarmist, they hear all the dooms day predictions and think themselves "this is bad we need to do something and go out and protest" But who are they protesting? If they want change, stop being the greedy spoiled kids that they are today.  Before you start protesting, actually learn what the problem and if what you are protesting will actually help/change/have any impact on the issue.  Because if you don't, you look like crazy people on the streets yelling the sky is falling.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

How is their future being screwed up by older folks. These kids global emissions footprint is bigger than any of the past generation by a long shot.  They all want cellphones by 10 years old, video games, computers and TV's in every room, they need air conditioning, they all need to fly on family vacations, they all want their meat production with no added hormones or steroids, non GMO plants with no pesticides, can't take transit or bike, gotta have their parents chauffeur them to school every day.  They want change, they just don't understand the sacrifices in their own lives that it will take, to get the change. 

That's the problem today with climate alarmist, they hear all the dooms day predictions and think themselves "this is bad we need to do something and go out and protest" But who are they protesting? If they want change, stop being the greedy spoiled kids that they are today.  Before you start protesting, actually learn what the problem and if what you are protesting will actually help/change/have any impact on the issue.  Because if you don't, you look like crazy people on the streets yelling the sky is falling.

Their future may be being screwed up by older folks who are the ones in position to do something about climate change and aren't doing it.

As far as them being unaware of what preventing climate change might entail in their personal lives - I don't know if that's true or not.  I just watched the demonstration, I didn't talk to any of the young people.  I wouldn't be surprised if some of them weren't sure what they were demanding.  But I wouldn't be surprised if many of them did have some idea and were ready to go along with it.   We should be careful about these sweeping generalizations.  

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

98B932D1-DDA1-4A56-B9F0-5CF8AE4AC6C5.jpeg.385b634047cb058a374a9eba4558a71c.jpeg

That's a good reminder, 189.

Even if a majority of the people who know what they're talking about (in this case, climate scientists) agree on an issue, they could still be wrong.  It happens.

And let's hope it is happening in this case because, otherwise, we could be in deep trouble.

• Upvote 2