The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Media Sucks

RetroCanuck

Seriously, Canucks media can put a bad spin on nearly everything. Its like they expect this rebuild to occur overnight and don't actually consider whats actually happening. Maybe thats because they spend they're everyday live talking about the Canucks that they expect things to change quicker just because they talk of nothing else?

This recent media blast about critiquing the Canucks prospect pool is mind boggling. Pettersson, Hughes, Gaudette and Demko (Arguably all in our top 5 pool at beginning of season) have graduated to the NHL and are no longer prospects. Yet they're disappearance from the prospect pool is negative? "Ya, we had 4 of our top prospects graduate this year... that looks soooo bad for our prospect pool..."

One can argue how well Utica has helped our recent influx of prospects but these kids are still developing. Its rare for prospects to step right into the AHL and start dominating as they have in the past so whats the worry. Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek, MacEwen all took steps forward this year in the AHL and one can expect them to take even larger steps down there next year. 

Other prospects in lower leagues have also taken huge steps this year. Woo, Madden, Lockwood and DiPietro have all played some top notch hockey. 

Even with our core prospects graduating we still have a deep prospect pool and even though it might not have a lot of top end talent any more its still really good.

2019 1st round pick

Juolevi

MacEwen

Woo

Lind

DiPietro

Madden

Brisebois

Teves

Rathbone

Lockwood

Karlsson

Gadjovich

Jasek

So Canucks media. Instead of spinning the negative why not talk about the fact may Canucks prospects are graduating this year. Some later round picks in hindsight would be 1st rounders. And young players on the Canucks such as Pettersson, Leivo, Stecher, Hutton, Horvat, Goldobin, Virtanen, Motte, Marky(older but damn!) have taken large steps forward in their developments and are becoming more complete players.

Patience is key. Let the young guys develop and then judge this organization if you still feel the need. Benning for 3 more years please.

Journalism disappeared in this market a few years ago....they now see themselves as "entertainers". I used to listen to 1040 on the commute to and from work, as well as listening to some throughout the day in my office.

Now, I will listen to a game on 650 if I am driving, and maybe 10 minutes of 1040 once or twice a week on the way home - usually trying to catch the Ferraro segment. 1040 afternoon show has to be the worst and most unprofessional I have ever heard. I am quite surprised they weren't split up or otherwise changed up with the changes that happened earlier this week

Oh well, it means y'all get more of me here lol

4 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Seriously, Canucks media can put a bad spin on nearly everything. Its like they expect this rebuild to occur overnight and don't actually consider whats actually happening. Maybe thats because they spend they're everyday live talking about the Canucks that they expect things to change quicker just because they talk of nothing else?

This recent media blast about critiquing the Canucks prospect pool is mind boggling. Pettersson, Hughes, Gaudette and Demko (Arguably all in our top 5 pool at beginning of season) have graduated to the NHL and are no longer prospects. Yet they're disappearance from the prospect pool is negative? "Ya, we had 4 of our top prospects graduate this year... that looks soooo bad for our prospect pool..."

One can argue how well Utica has helped our recent influx of prospects but these kids are still developing. Its rare for prospects to step right into the AHL and start dominating as they have in the past so whats the worry. Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek, MacEwen all took steps forward this year in the AHL and one can expect them to take even larger steps down there next year. 

Other prospects in lower leagues have also taken huge steps this year. Woo, Madden, Lockwood and DiPietro have all played some top notch hockey. 

Even with our core prospects graduating we still have a deep prospect pool and even though it might not have a lot of top end talent any more its still really good.

2019 1st round pick

Juolevi

MacEwen

Woo

Lind

DiPietro

Madden

Brisebois

Teves

Rathbone

Lockwood

Karlsson

Gadjovich

Jasek

So Canucks media. Instead of spinning the negative why not talk about the fact may Canucks prospects are graduating this year. Some later round picks in hindsight would be 1st rounders. And young players on the Canucks such as Pettersson, Leivo, Stecher, Hutton, Horvat, Goldobin, Virtanen, Motte, Marky(older but damn!) have taken large steps forward in their developments and are becoming more complete players.

Patience is key. Let the young guys develop and then judge this organization if you still feel the need. Benning for 3 more years please.

The thing is at prospect pool you posted is not any better then about 20 teams in the leaguE, I I know because this is the best pool of talent we’ve probably ever had come through people think whaaaat? It’s way higher it’s really not snymore now that so many have graduated but it’s fine because the ones who have graduated are special and should turn the ship around and it’s not a guarantee but there is

hope that it’s sonewhat okay. We get a good pick this year and we’re still in good shape.

maybe its the fact we haven’t won a series since the third round in 2011 with the Bieksa goal in sharks and have played in one series in the last six years.

if we don’t make the playoffs next year in 2020 then that means 2021 will be the next year we can possibly make it which means if that happens we will have played one series in eight years! From 2014 to 2021, and that was the 15 loss to flames.

so that’s why making the playoffs next year is kind of important and the way we’re finishing this season off isn’t very inspiring now almost second worst in the entire western conference and this was supposed to be the good year. The west is the worst of the two conferences so behind behind teams like the oilers and the avs who have won like seven games in the second half is embarrassing.

if ep and markstrom were just average this year there’s a chance we would be dead last in the west I mean that’s not far off as is and we’re a Canadian market so of course the media is negative just blowing a two goal lead to the pathetic devils on home ice and our superstar rookie scoring for the first time in a dozen games. Gotta love cheech whenever we lose to give us  two of the three stars

I think it's the TSN culture.  Whenever they get some new blood, I give them 3 months before they start to sound just like everybody else

No originality, no individual opinions.....just think that pissing off fans gets ratings......you know what I do when I start hearing sh!t?  Change the station

Don Cherry on the radio is the worst. 

Bobby helsing , great Kingston boy ! Coached me when I played for Rochester , tough as nails let me tell you ! Drove one of those blue Lincoln whatchamacalls , but what a Beauty ! One day Bobby pulls me aside and tells me  “ Don , you gotta play with more heart “ so

let me tell you , did I say Great Kingston boy  , Bobby Helsing , had fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror , because it was the style at the time. What a beauty!

9D664838-7FDD-4C1A-A20B-3C846CC34DF9.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

The thing is at prospect pool you posted is not any better then about 20 teams in the leaguE, I I know because this is the best pool of talent we’ve probably ever had come through people think whaaaat? It’s way higher it’s really not snymore now that so many have graduated but it’s fine because the ones who have graduated are special and should turn the ship around and it’s not a guarantee but there is

hope that it’s sonewhat okay. We get a good pick this year and we’re still in good shape.

maybe its the fact we haven’t won a series since the third round in 2011 with the Bieksa goal in sharks and have played in one series in the last six years.

if we don’t make the playoffs next year in 2020 then that means 2021 will be the next year we can possibly make it which means if that happens we will have played one series in eight years! From 2014 to 2021, and that was the 15 loss to flames.

so that’s why making the playoffs next year is kind of important and the way we’re finishing this season off isn’t very inspiring now almost second worst in the entire western conference and this was supposed to be the good year. The west is the worst of the two conferences so behind behind teams like the oilers and the avs who have won like seven games in the second half is embarrassing.

if ep and markstrom were just average this year there’s a chance we would be dead last in the west I mean that’s not far off as is and we’re a Canadian market so of course the media is negative just blowing a two goal lead to the pathetic devils on home ice and our superstar rookie scoring for the first time in a dozen games. Gotta love cheech whenever we lose to give us  two of the three stars

Ok...…..First the Game

2 of our Dmen played over 29 minutes each...……...because Our Best RHD went down again with injury

So that is what happens when they are tired...……...so like I said 2 guys over 29 minutes, our 7 Dman way above his minutes, and a rookie Dman getting his as well

Have you ever played hockey, or that many minutes if you did...….have you ever coached hockey and had to play that 7th, way more minutes than he can handle? Pretty hard to generate offense when you are sucking air...……..

This also plays on the forwards, that have enough problems of their own, and now are expected to come back faster and further...……..trust me everyone is gassed! Give them a break! I don't remember hearing a thing from you when the Canucks beat NYR's 4-1 who are above us in the standings......not a word!

And where were you in 2012, when the team was looking old and haggard? What were you saying then? I know what I was saying, and they are doing it...…..but it doesn't happen over night! we will get a couple more assets this summer, and will be much better, then the year after that, again. The guys we already have in the system are developing, and you need to give them and Benning time.

If in 2 more years, we are still sucking, then maybe people will think you are on to something.....but not now...…...too soon!

Vegas odd makers had us finishing 3 to last...………..not to far away, but we have had a lot of injuries....some of that can be attributed to travel...…….and we are not too far away from 13th from the bottom......so we are not the only ones sucking...………...no one is doing it any faster...…......maybe you should cheer for Edmonton!

48 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

So Boeser win everything at the allstar even in his rookie year, Pettersson leading the rookie of the year rankings, Hughes was voted the best Dman drafted not in the NHL, Juolevi had 13 points in 18 games before his injury, Woo is plugging away at a point a game, DiPietro is killing the OHL, Virtanen is showing great play, Lind is improving in the AHL.(like most 1st year players drafted past the 20 OA) ...……..so exactly what is your problem? These are our picks! They are doing well! Oh, yes and Demko is on schedule or a little early.especially because of the injury he had. Are you saying Gaudette who is a 5th round pick is disappointing you? Not me!

You need to take a pill!

Botchford and Paterson are the worst offenders. This is nothing new. All they do is criticize the Canucks organization and  the rebuild. 

I’ve come to learn to ignore this ignorant, idiotic, trash media that call themselves journalists. Take their negative mumbo-jumbo with a grain of salt 

5 hours ago, Sweathog said:

The only times I pay attention to the Canucks media is if I'm seriously bored and looking for some good laughs. It's strictly entertainment for me, don't take them seriously at all.

Nails on a chalkboard are more enjoyable to listen to 

In December Cory Hirsch said Travis Greene should be the Jack Adams winner and Ian MacIntyre wrote that Elias Pettersen is the greatest Canuck all time! Yeah, the media is so negative in this town. Sure some of the analytics geeks like JD Burke and Botchford can get nit picky and annoying but I find guys like Paterson, the Kurtenbloggers are calling it like it is. The team has some prospects but has been poorly managed for 5 years and is far behind schedule on the rebuild. I guess I'm in the minority but I felt at the start of this season the team is 3 years from playoffs and 5 years from being a contender.

Archived