The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New Jersey Devils at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 15, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Rather spend on the elite d man, right?

Just my personal opinion where I think it's more impactful to have that #1 D versus an top line winger. Not that we couldn't use a top line winger, but EK can eat up almost 30 mins a night which would singlehandedly shift the roles of all of our dmen into their more respective roles and therefore in turn may re-shape our whole defensive group without any other changes. Panarin may boost our offense, but our defense will still be behind unless a couple of guys over reach their expectations. We can try to outscore the opponents, but we've teams that have attempted to do this, eg. Edmonton and Toronto.

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Just my personal opinion where I think it's more impactful to have that #1 D versus an top line winger. Not that we couldn't use a top line winger, but EK can eat up almost 30 mins a night which would singlehandedly shift the roles of all of our dmen into their more respective roles and therefore in turn may re-shape our whole defensive group without any other changes. Panarin may boost our offense, but our defense will still be behind unless a couple of guys over reach their expectations. We can try to outscore the opponents, but we've teams that have attempted to do this, eg. Edmonton and Toronto.

I think we sometimes forget just how great EK is.  And who better for Hughes to learn from than EK?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think we sometimes forget just how great EK is.  And who better for Hughes to learn from than EK?

We probably don't understand the value of a #1 dman because we've never really had one.

Edler (OJ future) - EK

Hughes - Tanev/Tryamkin (Woo future)

Hutton (Rathbone future) - Stecher

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

We probably don't understand the value of a #1 dman because we've never really had one.

Edler (OJ future) - EK

Hughes - Tanev/Tryamkin (Woo future)

Hutton (Rathbone future) - Stecher

That’s a nice feeling to see that d present and future.  Having EK makes a huge difference though.  

8 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

He has produced at a higher level than Beagle thus far and at 33 turning 34 Beagle is still a useful player  which would be the age Ferland turns in his final year of a max term deal. Ferland isn't as high risk as some here are making him out to be.

He's not a one dimensional player, I find one dimensional players are the ones with the most significant drop offs in their 30’s. See Neal, James. 

Ferland wants an Eriksson contract.  Which with inflation is $7 mill plus.  Will Ferland get it? Probably...

Beagle was a great signing.  4 years at 33 is a bit much?  But they know the way he trains & prepares. Nor does Beagles game require the speed, say, Crosby's does? 

Its $3.something mill. So Gaudette does not have to play man to man with Jamie Benn. Or against Joe Pavelski.

Until he is ready.

Back to Ferland. A 40 to 45 point 2knd line forward who plays his bag off. Who would not want that? But at $7 mill??? 

8 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Before that he probably said to Petey that the whole team is on Peteys shoulders... Don't you remember Green said in a recent interview that Petey gets it? So Green has said something interesting and, for Petey, negative words. I hope I don't have to write a novel for you to get what I'm talking about... :bigblush: But you're probably in defense mode anyway. 

Do I also have to talk about the everchanging lines so no one knows where to play and can't interact better with the linesmates. 

If we talk about Brock then. He must have gone backwards because when Petey tries to get the passing going it often stops with Brock and that isn't a sign of a player going forward. And you can't blame the injuries either. 

You have stars in your eyes with Pettersson?  Justifiably so.

And is Boeser as good? No!

But he's still bloody good. I prefer him doing zone entries than Jake Virtanen. Or Goldobin? 21 years old going on 22 through this year is Boeser, and he's on pace for 60 plus points. That's top 90 forwards (top line) any day of the week! Bagging Boeser because you like Pettersson is stupid.

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

But he's still bloody good. I prefer him doing zone entries than Jake Virtanen. Or Goldobin? 21 years old going on 22 through this year is Boeser, and he's on pace for 60 plus points. That's top 90 forwards (top line) any day of the week! Bagging Boeser because you like Pettersson is stupid.

I'm not going after Boeser. We talked about development. And the passing game isn't due to injuries as when he stops skating can be. 

18 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Jake is 1 for 1 in his career but hasn't had an attempt since 15/16. Guess he hasn't "earned" one under Green yet. 

Exactly, but I wasn't trying to target granny only but the same players missed last time we had a shoot out. Why not try someone new? 

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Ferland wants an Eriksson contract.  Which with inflation is $7 mill plus.  Will Ferland get it? Probably...

Beagle was a great signing.  4 years at 33 is a bit much?  But they know the way he trains & prepares. Nor does Beagles game require the speed, say, Crosby's does? 

Its $3.something mill. So Gaudette does not have to play man to man with Jamie Benn. Or against Joe Pavelski.

Until he is ready.

Back to Ferland. A 40 to 45 point 2knd line forward who plays his bag off. Who would not want that? But at $7 mill??? 

Actually, going into the zone, I prefer virtanen over Boeser as he has speed and size. I'm not saying Virtanen is a better player but Boeser is good at shooting and getting open. However, he isn't that good at zone entry. You have different players on the team having different roles and strengths.

8 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

Ferland has had injury problems this season that appear to be something that could potentially affect him long term. I read on the canes board around the TDL that if all it took was 5x5, it would have been a done deal according to the media. Giving Ferland a 6x7 and Myers a 7x7 is still scaring the $&!# out of me as these would be bad, LE level deals after the first three years. 

Dude he’s missed 11 games. And through the rest of his career barely any. SMH

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=119077

On 3/15/2019 at 11:03 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

I now hope green gets replaced with the majority of our D and half our forwards this summer.

I doubt it will happen but green has underwhelmed consistently.

tg.PNG

I like Biega but he blew that 1st goal against big time. And with 3 minutes left in the 3rd he almost gave NJ the winning goal with his give away.

Other than Petey our guys sucked in the shoot out. Why the hell does green let pearson shoot before bo?

canucks.PNG

I love Biega but I'll admit his first 2 periods were great but his 3rd was really awful. Horrendously bad. 

23 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's the point.  When a guy is injured, he comes back at some point to resume his duties.

You want him gone...but then what?  Who/what are you replacing him with?  It's not ridiculous...it was to prove a point that injuries happen, even to the best of them.  It doesn't mean they're made of glass...it likely means they play the game hard and are relied upon, heavily, at times.  So they're more exposed to being injured through that.

Yes, I saw the list.  I remember this conversation from the Salo days....

Replacing him with a younger player with similar skills is what makes sense.  Of which there are players available.

there isn’t a player that replaces Crosby. 

On 3/16/2019 at 10:20 AM, stanleysteamersmyl said:

-character....check

-power forward....check

-mean/tough.....check

-bloodlines.......check

-skills..............check

-available at the draft when the Canucks pick...........CHECK

Matthew Tkachuk

I knew right away passing on Tkachuk was an absolute mistake. Had PL Dubois landed on our spot, then yes I would've understood the Juolevi pick, but Tkachuck all year was the 3rd - 4th best player in the draft. I would've never thought Tkachuk would be this good, its incredible. Absolutely fantastic player, though I think Brady in the long run is gonna be the better player. I'll flat out put this out there, Brady Tkachuck in 3 years will be the most feared, most imposing forward in the eastern conference. Just an absolute bully with skill to boot

Archived