The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[VIDEO] Kaapo Kakko: All of His Goals, Assists, Greatest Plays of the 2018-19 Liiga season. Over 60 Plays On Full Display. Why the Canucks Must Pick Him Over Hughes (if in that situation).

Blade Paradigm

Kaapo Kakko is one of Finland's most promising young talents. He is a 2019 NHL Draft-eligible forward who currently plays for TPS Turku of the Finnish Elite League (Liiga).

He is the current U18 Liiga record holder for most goals in a single season with 22 goals, breaking Alexander Barkov's previous record of 21 goals. He finished the season with 22 goals, 38 points in 45 games, which is a points-per-game average of 0.84.

All of the plays shown here are from his 2018-19 Liiga season with TPS Turku. All of his goals and assists, as well as numerous other plays are on full display here.

Kakko is a brilliant player. He is a 6'2'', 190 lb center-winger whose game is very centered around aggressive boardwork, quickness in tight quarters, power along the boards, and patience with the puck. He is a creative playmaker with great lower body strength to fend off opposition checks and hem the opponent in their own zone; his deceptiveness, controlled stickhandling and quick pivots, meanwhile, allow him to shift back and forth in the offensive zone to open up space at even strength. This was on full display at the 2019 World Juniors, and is a reason for his success as a rookie in the Finnish Elite League against adults. Kakko's game compares favorably to that of Peter Forsberg, who was a playmaking puck hound along the boards with a relentless pro-style forechecking game.

Kakko's ability to cycle and control the puck down low is a major advantage that he has over Jack Hughes, as this style of game better translates to the NHL level. Although he is a pass-first player, Kakko also shoots with a high amount of velocity. In terms of skating, he is very agile on his skates, and has above average separation speed. His puck skills, shiftiness, and strength allow him to keep the puck close to his body and make subtle moves to open up space for his teammates.

His poise with the puck and give-and-go sensibilities allow him to distribute the puck to open teammates and open himself up for a return pass, often leading to positive plays. He also has rush abilities, although he is multi-faceted and not limited to rush plays. He can gain the neutral zone with his power and shiftiness, and then thrive down low.

At the World Juniors, he was used on the penalty kill on a forward pairing with teammate Anton Lundell and was effective at pressuring the opposition. Most notably, he was utilized as a defensive player in the final minute of multiple 2019 U20 World Junior games to defend Team Finland's narrow lead, including in the last minute of the Gold Medal match against Team USA.

In addition to his offensive game, Kakko has been transitioning to center. He has played center several times during the 2018-19 campaign for his Finnish Elite League team, at the U20 4 Nations Tournament in early December, in the Champions Hockey League, and at the U20 Summer Showcase.

Kaapo Kakko should be the first-overall pick in 2019. He is the best-available player in the draft class.

But...what if we have picks one and two??? I mean we could trade Erickson, Schaller and a sixth for 1OA and the give up Schenn and Pouliot for 2OA (might need a sweetener back) and still keep our 6-8. Rebuild complete, no need to decide. Back in reality, any lottery pick would be a huge win, I’m just hoping Byram is still on the board after we slip two spots. 

5 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

But...what if we have picks one and two??? I mean we could trade Erickson, Schaller and a sixth for 1OA and the give up Schenn and Pouliot for 2OA (might need a sweetener back) and still keep our 6-8. Rebuild complete, no need to decide. Back in reality, any lottery pick would be a huge win, I’m just hoping Byram is still on the board after we slip two spots. 

OMG...that's so crazy it just might work. 

Oh wait my sarcasm indicator is going off.

Never mind. I'll just see myself out....

Yes he’s going to be good, but what Hughes is doing right now is just too good to pass up on.  Plus we already have his brother and why not draft him (and he’s ahead in virtually all scouting reports, another poster did the math at 17 of 18).  

Dont take too much into the WJs.  Many GMs have made the mistake of drafting based primarily on this tournament alone..including us with OJ (on the strength of seven assists mostly to Laine and Puljajarvi) prior to this tournament he was a late first rounder at best.  Where was Kakko ranked prior to the tourney?  That’s just as likely to be where he would end up in a re-draft years from now, as it is he should have gone second (where he is currently ranked).

Hughes has been called the next P Kane for a good reason, I’d rather have that on my team than a Barkov type anyday.  

Just now, Dombrova22 said:

Just a feeling. I believe he will be hesitant to select Byram because of how Virtanen has panned out so far. Broberg has quietly risen on scouts rankings. Mckenzie now has him ranked #7. 

All you have to do is watch a Giants game, I think even the harshest critic will turn into a fan. He's smart, quick, gets to open spaces. And would be able to do things no one other than EP40 or maybe Hughes can do. Besides he's from Cranbrook, not the Lower Mainland. 9 game winning goals, 71 Points in 67 games. 193 shots on goal. 

He's even good defensively. He does it all. I'd actually understand if he's gone at #2. 

As far as this draft goes, whatever pick I think should be selected, won’t be, Benning has surprised me every single draft with his first picks.  Not one of those guy I’d have picked with what was still available.   That said it would be about a wash.   He’s been hit and miss with who he picks first, hits marginally more depending on how Hughes works out.  I’d have taken MT and Ehlers, but not Pettersson (Glass), probably  Boeser...and Bouchard.   Don’t be surprised if he doesn’t take who you want either.  

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

As far as this draft goes, whatever pick I think should be selected, won’t be, Benning has surprised me every single draft with his first picks.  Not one of those guy I’d have picked with what was still available.   That said it would be about a wash.   He’s been hit and miss with who he picks first, hits marginally more depending on how Hughes works out.  I’d have taken MT and Ehlers, but not Pettersson (Glass), probably  Boeser...and Bouchard.   Don’t be surprised if he doesn’t take who you want either.  

So Benning's gotta Benning? 

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

All you have to do is watch a Giants game, I think even the harshest critic will turn into a fan. He's smart, quick, gets to open spaces. And would be able to do things no one other than EP40 or maybe Hughes can do. Besides he's from Cranbrook, not the Lower Mainland. 9 game winning goals, 71 Points in 67 games. 193 shots on goal. 

He's even good defensively. He does it all. I'd actually understand if he's gone at #2. 

I know how good he is. But Benning tends to go ' off the board '. Broberg would fit that perfectly. 

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

So Benning's gotta Benning? 

Absolutely.  This year if we slip from say 7th down to 9th I think Benning is going off board and taking a flyer on someone.  I also think that we as fans should start a lawsuit against the NHL and file a grievance...or just burn the thing to the ground for screwing us again, this time in our own building.  Better NOT happen.   There is only a one in three chance that we haven’t moved up yet...this year those odds get even screwier if we don’t move up or stay where we are, seems too unlikely..has to be a conspiracy right?

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I'd prefer Kakko over Hughes

Kakko I think is the better choice. But do you know how the hate Benning crowd would react if we didn't take the other Hughes?

I really do feel sorry for Benning. Every move he makes is micro analyzed. Some "fans" will find fault no matter what he does. 

I'm not surprised Linden resigned. Because too many lunkheads complain about every move the team makes. 

If Edmonton was our team and we didn't make the playoffs with McDavid and Draisaitl there would be riots before the season ended. 

If God gifts us one of the top 2 picks in the 2019 draft, we would have basically ended our rebuild.

Kakko would compliment EP and Boeser real well. Playing making winger who hounds the puck. He can set up EP and Boeser after relentless forechecking and convert many of the plays generated by EP. We could have Gretzky-Kurri type combo with EP and Kakko. 

With Jack Hughes, you get a play driver. I'd say Patrick Kane and Connor McDavid are the two best players in the league in terms of driving the play on the ice and Jack Hughes might be in the same boat in few years. Jack can also play wing, he can probably play wing with Bo and Virtanen, who can skate with Jack and crash the net, taking the defenders with them, making space for Jack to do the work.

18 minutes ago, Dombrova22 said:

I've said it once I'll say it again, Benning will select Broberg. 

Nope Benning has tipped his hand much like he did when OJ was selected. He is taking a dman regardless of who is available, he will be trying to trade down to get an extra pick even though he says late picks rarely amount to anything, so he will trade down to a later pick, logical eh?

Benning doesn't change his mind, once decided he just goes with it, a dman at the draft is it.

Kakko BTW is growing I would expect him to come in a 6'3".

Taking a larger player that can skate is always a more prudent decision and with Benning's job on the line you would think that would be the way to go but if he does then he is admitting he was wrong before.

Good players are making the league at 18/19, okay players are making the league at 20/21 the rest for the most part are support players with the occasional star dman or forward.

I think/hope Quinton Hughes can be a difference maker in the NHL, I figure he might be able to withstand the regular season maybe, but the playoffs are a different animal, size matters even now.

Kakko would be a safe selection, he played with OJ last year when he was 16 yrs old.   

9 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Kakko I think is the better choice. But do you know how the hate Benning crowd would react if we didn't take the other Hughes?

I really do feel sorry for Benning. Every move he makes is micro analyzed. Some "fans" will find fault no matter what he does. 

I'm not surprised Linden resigned. Because too many lunkheads complain about every move the team makes. 

If Edmonton was our team and we didn't make the playoffs with McDavid and Draisaitl there would be riots before the season ended. 

Actually, I'm surprised that there hasn't been a riot in Edmonton yet. You go from top 6 of McDavid, Hall, Draisaitl, Eberle, RNH, Caggiula to McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH... then, Lucic, Kassian, Chiasson? Whenever I check Edmonton's stats and I wonder what happened? I know they made some dumb moves but unless Chia did this on purpose, none of this makes any sense. They traded a superstar forward for a top 4 NHLer and a surefire NHLer like Eberle for a reclamation project, not to mention trading a first round pick in a deep draft for a project defender... The drop off in talent in Edmonton after McDavid, Draisaitl to  RNH is already huge, but then there's nothing after RNH. If the Oilers were patient, they would be contending to be the top team in the Pacific by now along with Calgary. 

Archived