The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[VIDEO] Kaapo Kakko: All of His Goals, Assists, Greatest Plays of the 2018-19 Liiga season. Over 60 Plays On Full Display. Why the Canucks Must Pick Him Over Hughes (if in that situation).

Blade Paradigm

10 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not sure Virtanen has ruined all WHL prospects for Benning.  Byram is the only D projected in the 1st round that I'd want. Too many good forwards in the #5-10 range (if that's where they pick), Canucks need scoring as well. A player who could possibly join them next season. I don't think Benning is the type of GM to bring in a big name UFA (Panarin, Skinner) Broberg would seem to offer a different dimension to the Canucks D. He's got size and strength, speed and a booming slap shot. They could use "that shot" from the point. But he's also probably still 4-5 years away from playing in the league. 

We recently drafted and signed Woo, a dman from the WHL. I'm sure if there was any hesitation then he's over it. I think I wouldn't mind Broberg if we were in the 7-10 spot. But for me if we win the 3rd overall, I'd go with Byram.

14 minutes ago, Baggins said:

We already have an underweight high skill center who at least may fill out his 6' 1" frame. Take the big winger over the 5'10" lightweight center. It's skill we need over skill we already have. Need over the feel good story every time.

Kane and Toews are pretty much pound for pound the equal of EP and Hughes. I am all for size and definitely would accept size as a tie breaker but I really don’t think all things are equal here. 

Hughes has pat lafontaine written all over him and at worse a Zach Parise. 

As for the big winger we need, Virtanen should be it and before that Kassian. Those two failed badly yes. But I think eventually we will hit the Byfuglien jackpot if we tried enough Virtanens and Kassians. 

Rantanen was drafted 10th or later. We should dump Tanev, Sutter, Baertschi, and Virtanen for some more picks to try and land this big winger and the defenseman prospects that we need. 

Dal Cole, Jake, Virtanen, Nick Ritchie, and Nischuskin were can’t miss big forward too. Kappo is just as risky as Hughes imo. 

Go for the bigger ceiling in my opinion. I think that’s hughes if he is anything like Lafontaine.

47 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Kane and Toews are pretty much pound for pound the equal of EP and Hughes. I am all for size and definitely would accept size as a tie breaker but I really don’t think all things are equal here. 

Hughes has pat lafontaine written all over him and at worse a Zach Parise. 

As for the big winger we need, Virtanen should be it and before that Kassian. Those two failed badly yes. But I think eventually we will hit the Byfuglien jackpot if we tried enough Virtanens and Kassians. 

Rantanen was drafted 10th or later. We should dump Tanev, Sutter, Baertschi, and Virtanen for some more picks to try and land this big winger and the defenseman prospects that we need. 

Dal Cole, Jake, Virtanen, Nick Ritchie, and Nischuskin were can’t miss big forward too. Kappo is just as risky as Hughes imo. 

Go for the bigger ceiling in my opinion. I think that’s hughes if he is anything like Lafontaine.

But we're not talking about 6th (Virtanen) versus 1st or 13th (Kassian) versus 1st. We're talking about a very close 1st versus 2nd. It will be interesting to see how the final scouting ranks have them. I suspect Hughes will retain his 1st overall rank because he's a center. A tie in skill will always have the C rated over a W. But when the skill level is basically equal you're better taking the position you need to fill. We need a bigger winger more than a small center. There's more than enough small on the team already.

Rantanen was drafted 10th overall. What are we going to trade to get a pick that high? Neither Sutter or Tanev is going to get you a top 20 pick even if you threw in Baertschi and/or Virtanen. I'm not even sure you'd get it by replacing Baertschi with Gaudette. But Virtanen and Gaudette plus is more likely. At least it's two young NHL players with potential you'd be offering. Sutter or Tanev plus might get you into the bottom third of the first round, but not the top third. 

18 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yes he’s going to be good, but what Hughes is doing right now is just too good to pass up on.  Plus we already have his brother and why not draft him (and he’s ahead in virtually all scouting reports, another poster did the math at 17 of 18).  

Dont take too much into the WJs.  Many GMs have made the mistake of drafting based primarily on this tournament alone..including us with OJ (on the strength of seven assists mostly to Laine and Puljajarvi) prior to this tournament he was a late first rounder at best.  Where was Kakko ranked prior to the tourney?  That’s just as likely to be where he would end up in a re-draft years from now, as it is he should have gone second (where he is currently ranked).

Hughes has been called the next P Kane for a good reason, I’d rather have that on my team than a Barkov type anyday.  

The utter disrespect for my boy Barkov. Yikes. :( 

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

The utter disrespect for my boy Barkov. Yikes. :( 

Barkov is your boy?  Sorry man didn’t know anyone has kids on this forum playing at that level.  How about I use a different comparable... I’d rather have Hughes than Kakko, I’m not buying the WJ hype...

53 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Barkov is your boy?  Sorry man didn’t know anyone has kids on this forum playing at that level.  How about I use a different comparable... I’d rather have Hughes than Kakko, I’m not buying the WJ hype...

But, he's having a record breaking season overall. Right? Lol. It's not JUST the World Juniors. I get you have a preference but that doesn't mean you need to downplay other player's season. Both players are very good. I am not gonna crap on Hughes because I like Kakko but hey, more power to you bud. To each their own.

58 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

But, he's having a record breaking season overall. Right? Lol. It's not JUST the World Juniors. I get you have a preference but that doesn't mean you need to downplay other player's season. Both players are very good. I am not gonna crap on Hughes because I like Kakko but hey, more power to you bud. To each their own.

I don’t think I’m crapping on him, pretty sure I’ve stated he’s good player too, I’m simply stating the WJs amps up players stock which can be dangerous for some prospects...as in for the team that picks him.  Yes he’s having a very good season too and should be one of the top three or four players picked if not the second one.  However I think Hughes is going to the better player, has a higher ceiling better position etc... it’s ok that you prefer him I’m just busting your balls a little and anyone else who prefers him too.  Not many experts have Kakko at one, but that doesn’t mean he won’t be the best of the draft or picked first../

On 3/16/2019 at 7:36 AM, Blade Paradigm said:

Kaapo Kakko is one of Finland's most promising young talents. He is a 2019 NHL Draft-eligible forward who currently plays for TPS Turku of the Finnish Elite League (Liiga).

He is the current U18 Liiga record holder for most goals in a single season with 22 goals, breaking Alexander Barkov's previous record of 21 goals. He finished the season with 22 goals, 38 points in 45 games, which is a points-per-game average of 0.84.

All of the plays shown here are from his 2018-19 Liiga season with TPS Turku. All of his goals and assists, as well as numerous other plays are on full display here.

Kakko is a brilliant player. He is a 6'2'', 190 lb center-winger whose game is very centered around aggressive boardwork, quickness in tight quarters, power along the boards, and patience with the puck. He is a creative playmaker with great lower body strength to fend off opposition checks and hem the opponent in their own zone; his deceptiveness, controlled stickhandling and quick pivots, meanwhile, allow him to shift back and forth in the offensive zone to open up space at even strength. This was on full display at the 2019 World Juniors, and is a reason for his success as a rookie in the Finnish Elite League against adults. Kakko's game compares favorably to that of Peter Forsberg, who was a playmaking puck hound along the boards with a relentless pro-style forechecking game.

Kakko's ability to cycle and control the puck down low is a major advantage that he has over Jack Hughes, as this style of game better translates to the NHL level. Although he is a pass-first player, Kakko also shoots with a high amount of velocity. In terms of skating, he is very agile on his skates, and has above average separation speed. His puck skills, shiftiness, and strength allow him to keep the puck close to his body and make subtle moves to open up space for his teammates.

His poise with the puck and give-and-go sensibilities allow him to distribute the puck to open teammates and open himself up for a return pass, often leading to positive plays. He also has rush abilities, although he is multi-faceted and not limited to rush plays. He can gain the neutral zone with his power and shiftiness, and then thrive down low.

At the World Juniors, he was used on the penalty kill on a forward pairing with teammate Anton Lundell and was effective at pressuring the opposition. Most notably, he was utilized as a defensive player in the final minute of multiple 2019 U20 World Junior games to defend Team Finland's narrow lead, including in the last minute of the Gold Medal match against Team USA.

In addition to his offensive game, Kakko has been transitioning to center. He has played center several times during the 2018-19 campaign for his Finnish Elite League team, at the U20 4 Nations Tournament in early December, in the Champions Hockey League, and at the U20 Summer Showcase.

Kaapo Kakko should be the first-overall pick in 2019. He is the best-available player in the draft class.

Between hfboards and here, how many pro kakko threads do you have now?

30 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

Is jack really that good or is he just overhyped? Another hischier? I watxhed the world juniors and didnt think much of him. Can anyone explain his skill set and if he bears a resemblance to anyone? 

While Hischier has been a bit dwarfed by EP, he's an excellent pick and I wouldn't be upset about not picking EP if I had chosen Hischier 1st overall. EP gets top pick in a redraft right now, but Hischier/Heiskanen are close 2/3 right now. Nolan Patrick, the guy with size and potential, is the one that is not looking so good at this moment, but all is not lost for him yet.

Not comparing Kaako to Patrick, but just saying that just because a player has size doesn't make them the surefire better player over a smaller skilled guy. Other examples are Puljujarvi and while Laine has had some incredible seasons, clearly there's something not trending in the right direction right now. Hopefully Kaako is more Rantanen than Laine in their junctures.

I know it doesn't really answer you question, but just wanted to bring up the Hischier point as it seems you're downplaying Hischier a bit from your comment.

21 hours ago, oldnews said:

This is part of the reason a part of me hopes they don't win the lottery - but do win the 2nd overall pick.

I'd like this to be solved for management.

It would avoid them having to pass on Hughes - if that would be their intent - with Quinton being here.

If they're 2nd and Kakko goes first - well so be it.

But the simplification of the choice might be nice with the Hughes brothers effect here....I'd certainly be just as happy with Kakko - maybe more so.

I had this exact discussion with a friend.  The 2nd overall pick would be the most ideal situation for us for the reasons you mentioned.  We take one of Hughes or Kakko without the drama of 'should we reunite the brothers' or 'should we take Kakko who compliments our team better'.

The fact that there is so much debate here about which of them should go first is a testament to the players that they are.  There is no wrong choice between the two.

The Benning haters would still be clamouring over how he didn't package the 2nd overall pick with other assets to acquire the first overall.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

I don’t think I’m crapping on him, pretty sure I’ve stated he’s good player too, I’m simply stating the WJs amps up players stock which can be dangerous for some prospects...as in for the team that picks him.  Yes he’s having a very good season too and should be one of the top three or four players picked if not the second one.  However I think Hughes is going to the better player, has a higher ceiling better position etc... it’s ok that you prefer him I’m just busting your balls a little and anyone else who prefers him too.  Not many experts have Kakko at one, but that doesn’t mean he won’t be the best of the draft or picked first../

He's vaulted into the #1 spot because of his play since the WJHC, not the tournament itself

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

While Hischier has been a bit dwarfed by EP, he's an excellent pick and I wouldn't be upset about not picking EP if I had chosen Hischier 1st overall. EP gets top pick in a redraft right now, but Hischier/Heiskanen are close 2/3 right now. Nolan Patrick, the guy with size and potential, is the one that is not looking so good at this moment, but all is not lost for him yet.

Not comparing Kaako to Patrick, but just saying that just because a player has size doesn't make them the surefire better player over a smaller skilled guy. Other examples are Puljujarvi and while Laine has had some incredible seasons, clearly there's something not trending in the right direction right now. Hopefully Kaako is more Rantanen than Laine in their junctures.

I know it doesn't really answer you question, but just wanted to bring up the Hischier point as it seems you're downplaying Hischier a bit from your comment.

Put pool party in another org and he could very easily be an elite 200ft player.

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

He's vaulted into the #1 spot because of his play since the WJHC, not the tournament itself

Who has him as number one?  Sources please...

edit:  NHL.com has Huges as unanimous number one..sportsnet..THN..ISCS etc...

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Who has him as number one?  Sources please...

Most of the new draft reviews. Use that new device called "Goggle".      Just put in 2019 nhl draft and presto.  ::D You would be wise to look at the ones for march.

Archived