The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[VIDEO] Kaapo Kakko: All of His Goals, Assists, Greatest Plays of the 2018-19 Liiga season. Over 60 Plays On Full Display. Why the Canucks Must Pick Him Over Hughes (if in that situation).

Blade Paradigm

25 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

I'm weary on these Fins and their Fortnite issues, its the only way to explain Puljujarvi, Joulevi, and now Liane's struggles. 

where has OJ struggled?  One of the best rookie dmen seasons in Liiga last year, was one of the top rookies in the AHL this year.  Where's the problem?

22 hours ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

So I believe that even if Jim Benning and the scouting staff believed Kakko was the best player and we had the #1 pick, there is no way we can’t select Hughes because we have his brother on the team and I t’s not like picking Hughes #1 would be a reach or anything.

However I want to pose this question if Benning truly believed Kakko was better and Colorado had the #2 pick (via Ottawa)

Would you trade:

1st overall (J. Hughes)

Quinn Hughes (

to Colorado for

2nd overall (K. Kakko)

C. Makar

It’s an interesting concept, although I guess Colorado might be one of those teams who might prefer Kakko. But they could use Left shot Defensemen and we could use RIght shot defensemen

That would be a terrible trade but it would be something Benning does since Makar is basically the older version of Hughes, except in this case, makar’s trajectory hasn’t completely regressed like clendenning, Baertschi, Granlund etc did. 

If Makar played like crap this year then Benning would be all over this trade.

I still wouldn’t though, because we aren’t anywhere near ready to compete for the cup and the Hughes catch up year could be much better than Makar’s year 2/3. 

Unlike many of the homers here, I never endorse getting older even if it’s just by 1 or 2 years. That 1 or 2 years makes a huge difference sometimes. 

13 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

That would be a terrible trade but it would be something Benning does since Makar is basically the older version of Hughes, except in this case, makar’s trajectory hasn’t completely regressed like clendenning, Baertschi, Granlund etc did. 

If Makar played like crap this year then Benning would be all over this trade.

I still wouldn’t though, because we aren’t anywhere near ready to compete for the cup and the Hughes catch up year could be much better than Makar’s year 2/3. 

Unlike many of the homers here, I never endorse getting older even if it’s just by 1 or 2 years. That 1 or 2 years makes a huge difference sometimes. 

Makar is a right shot defensemen was picked higher in the draft than Q. Hughes, put up more points than Q. Hughes in the NCAA and is only 1 year older. 

I’m not saying which way I would go with that trade.

But unless you are using your own opinion (which was not the question) of thinking J. Hughes is way better than Kakko, than I’m not sure how you can think the basis off that trade is that lopsided. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

where has OJ struggled?  One of the best rookie dmen seasons in Liiga last year, was one of the top rookies in the AHL this year.  Where's the problem?

I was being sarcastic but he hasn't played a full season since turning pro,and has had 2 major surgeries in 2 years. Getting hurt every year no matter how well they have played sucks, and obviously is because hes been to busy playing Fortnite instead of working in the Gym :bigblush:

50 minutes ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

Makar is a right shot defensemen was picked higher in the draft than Q. Hughes, put up more points than Q. Hughes in the NCAA and is only 1 year older. 

I’m not saying which way I would go with that trade.

But unless you are using your own opinion (which was not the question) of thinking J. Hughes is way better than Kakko, than I’m not sure how you can think the basis off that trade is that lopsided. 

1 year is a huge difference. Don’t get me wrong. Makar should be a stud but the overager Toronto might get outscored both Makar, Hughes, and Fox and he like 21 or something. Yes it only a few years but when talking about sports, a year or two is huge and crucial.

lets say Hughes next year has a much stronger year than makars this year. And makars next year he regresses. You &^@#ed up the trade right there most likely if that trajectory holds. 

Benning would be all over this if Makar was 3 years older and regressed though.

Benning and his homers dont seem to understand this critical development period for some reason based on his past trades. I didn’t need a crystal ball to see that Baerschit was never going to be anything more than he is now because he already screwed up his trajectory.

1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

This thread is sorta' sounding like "Do you take Crosby, or do you take Ovechkin?"

regards,  G.

Despite how much I dislike him, you take Crosby. Although Ovechkin is insane.

1 hour ago, Tomatoes11 said:

1 year is a huge difference. Don’t get me wrong. Makar should be a stud but the overager Toronto might get outscored both Makar, Hughes, and Fox and he like 21 or something. Yes it only a few years but when talking about sports, a year or two is huge and crucial.

lets say Hughes next year has a much stronger year than makars this year. And makars next year he regresses. You &^@#ed up the trade right there most likely if that trajectory holds. 

Benning would be all over this if Makar was 3 years older and regressed though.

Benning and his homers dont seem to understand this critical development period for some reason based on his past trades. I didn’t need a crystal ball to see that Baerschit was never going to be anything more than he is now because he already screwed up his trajectory.

Well why aren't you a GM somewhere? You seem to be all knowing about every players development (at least according to yourself). 

Your example is poor. This isn't even going to happen, but it's not the same as Forsling for Clendenning in anyway, shape or form. 

We get it, you hate Benning! Benning can do nothing right. 

36 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Actual footage of Canucks fans if they didn't pick Hughes 1st overall. 

giphy.gif

Or maybe we lose every game for the rest of the year, all the others below us catch up and pass us...and this is what happens April 9 when we slip to four and EDM gets the first overall ...

If Kakko is the for sure #1 and we get #1, we trade down to 2 and grab a pick or 2 and take Hughes. I think you take the chemistry potential here. Maybe its just me but having both Hughes is a huge dream of mine. Our new brothers. Pair them with Pettersson and Boeser and we will be set for the next decade

If Vancouver and Colorado sit 1 and 2 respectively I trade the first and our 3rd with a guarantee from Sakic he's taking kakko for the second overall and Makar.  Then draft Hughes at #2 anyways

I do that any day of the week.  But I don't add a too prospect to do it when I can have what I want regardless.

I certainly don't Edmonton myself if I'm in bennings shoes

On 3/16/2019 at 7:36 AM, Blade Paradigm said:

Kaapo Kakko is one of Finland's most promising young talents. He is a 2019 NHL Draft-eligible forward who currently plays for TPS Turku of the Finnish Elite League (Liiga).

He is the current U18 Liiga record holder for most goals in a single season with 22 goals, breaking Alexander Barkov's previous record of 21 goals. He finished the season with 22 goals, 38 points in 45 games, which is a points-per-game average of 0.84.

All of the plays shown here are from his 2018-19 Liiga season with TPS Turku. All of his goals and assists, as well as numerous other plays are on full display here.

Kakko is a brilliant player. He is a 6'2'', 190 lb center-winger whose game is very centered around aggressive boardwork, quickness in tight quarters, power along the boards, and patience with the puck. He is a creative playmaker with great lower body strength to fend off opposition checks and hem the opponent in their own zone; his deceptiveness, controlled stickhandling and quick pivots, meanwhile, allow him to shift back and forth in the offensive zone to open up space at even strength. This was on full display at the 2019 World Juniors, and is a reason for his success as a rookie in the Finnish Elite League against adults. Kakko's game compares favorably to that of Peter Forsberg, who was a playmaking puck hound along the boards with a relentless pro-style forechecking game.

Kakko's ability to cycle and control the puck down low is a major advantage that he has over Jack Hughes, as this style of game better translates to the NHL level. Although he is a pass-first player, Kakko also shoots with a high amount of velocity. In terms of skating, he is very agile on his skates, and has above average separation speed. His puck skills, shiftiness, and strength allow him to keep the puck close to his body and make subtle moves to open up space for his teammates.

His poise with the puck and give-and-go sensibilities allow him to distribute the puck to open teammates and open himself up for a return pass, often leading to positive plays. He also has rush abilities, although he is multi-faceted and not limited to rush plays. He can gain the neutral zone with his power and shiftiness, and then thrive down low.

At the World Juniors, he was used on the penalty kill on a forward pairing with teammate Anton Lundell and was effective at pressuring the opposition. Most notably, he was utilized as a defensive player in the final minute of multiple 2019 U20 World Junior games to defend Team Finland's narrow lead, including in the last minute of the Gold Medal match against Team USA.

In addition to his offensive game, Kakko has been transitioning to center. He has played center several times during the 2018-19 campaign for his Finnish Elite League team, at the U20 4 Nations Tournament in early December, in the Champions Hockey League, and at the U20 Summer Showcase.

Kaapo Kakko should be the first-overall pick in 2019. He is the best-available player in the draft class.

Thank you! !!!

If chance awards..... I am completely on board with a Kaako pick

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

If Vancouver and Colorado sit 1 and 2 respectively I trade the first and our 3rd with a guarantee from Sakic he's taking kakko for the second overall and Makar.  Then draft Hughes at #2 anyways

I do that any day of the week.  But I don't add a too prospect to do it when I can have what I want regardless.

first of all, there's no way colorado values kakko enough more highly than hughes to give up makar, arguably the top prospect in hockey, for a 3rd round pick. second of all, even if sakic et al went on a week long crack-fuelled bender and ended up thinking that WAS a good idea, why would they do it when benning comes sniffing around, making it obvious he wants hughes? is benning going to pick kakko out of spite in this scenario? not a chance. 

2 hours ago, tas said:

first of all, there's no way colorado values kakko enough more highly than hughes to give up makar, arguably the top prospect in hockey, for a 3rd round pick. second of all, even if sakic et al went on a week long crack-fuelled bender and ended up thinking that WAS a good idea, why would they do it when benning comes sniffing around, making it obvious he wants hughes? is benning going to pick kakko out of spite in this scenario? not a chance. 

First of all.  Why would Benning trade from 1 to 2 for nothing.  Secondly, this was in answer to someone else.  Third.  Why cares we're drafting 8th.

10 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

If Kakko is the for sure #1 and we get #1, we trade down to 2 and grab a pick or 2 and take Hughes. I think you take the chemistry potential here. Maybe its just me but having both Hughes is a huge dream of mine. Our new brothers. Pair them with Pettersson and Boeser and we will be set for the next decade

I don't know if I could survive another two small brothers getting speed bagged in the playoffs.

12 hours ago, Warhippy said:

We’re you answering my question? 

I don’t believe I’m understanding your trade? 

If Hughes and Kakko are 1A and 1B, I’m not sure why Colorado would basically trade Makar to the Canucks for a 3rd rounder, and still allow the Canucks to pick Hughes at #2? 

My proposal was off the basis that no matter what, if we get pick #1, we can’t pick anybody but J. Hughes because it would fracture the organizations relationship with Quinn Hughes if we didn’t select him. 

Wow. BP made his way over here from HF.

Havent watched the video he put together yet but I know hes been one of the anti-Hughes/pro-Kakko guys for awhile now.

I think Kakko would be an amazing fit for us. I think Kakko is a wonderful player. But so is Jack Hughes. Not sure who Id take if I had the #1 pick. 

Archived