The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JB has thrown away far too many assets - needs to be replaced as GM

Rate this topic

Generational.EP40

27 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Hypothetically, targeting an Yzerman or someone along those lines as GM+President would be ideal. 

1 minute ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Yzerman isn’t GM anymore. So yea, as Forsberg said:

:]

You're asking Benning to be moved into a into a different role other than GM (president?) and being in Yzerman as a GM. Are you not?

7 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Well a good start would be a GM who can go into a trade without the opposing GM knowing he has the upper hand on. Someone not inexperienced like JB because he’s underwhelming in the trade department which everyone knows.

That's a blanket response. So what moves has Benning not done at the deadline this year to get picks?

- Edler, NTC (Injuries) didn't want to move.

- Hutton, Injured, (I wouldn't trade him yet).

- Tanev, Injured, and back on injury, probably wouldn't give any reasonable return.

- Sutter, Injured 

- Eriksson, 6 million reasons and only 20+ points, who would give you a pick for that?

- Baer, Concussion

So once again, what assets did we have to move? Or were you thinking of trading Horvat, EP40, Boeser or Stetcher? 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I've done an in-depth look at all his trades and draft picks and categorized which ones are outright losses and he actually loses only a few of them by my estimation. I can't find the post I made, but it was a few months ago.

EDIT: 

Found it:

Appreciated.

Yep not saying just drafting, but more so the whole package. Wavering in team vision / always jumping the gun, contracts, etc. Would be nice to get a stable presence for a change.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Technically he's not incorrect, we traded that pick away for Pedan in 2014, but then reacquired it later when we traded Bonino, Clendening and a 2nd round pick to the penguins two years later.

Ahh forgot that happened. 

Regardless, still a useless conversation

• Cheers 2

People scapegoating Benning and Green clearly don’t understand what a rebuild is. Benning has drafted some elite talent (Petey, Brock, Hughes) and found some gems (Gaudette) as well as our prospects making strides in the minors. Sure not all the contract signings have panned out but he has turned a mess that Gillis made into a promising future. 

Rebuilding takes patience and does not fix itself in 1 or 2 years. And patience is something most of our fanbase does not have. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

I’ll take that as you never read what was said and think this is a full out doxing. 

In which case it isn’t and are like many insecure fans who think of any criticism is an automatic no-no. Lol. All I’m saying is it’s time to hand someone else the keys to the shop all while JB can still work as a mechanic...I’m acknowledging the good he’s done as most fans do. It’s about time we acknowledge the bad - not over 1 or 2 yrs but 5. It’s a bad trend.

Criticism is fine, however it needs to be balanced. Focusing ONLY on the negatives is just as disingenious as only the positives. Wadr

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I've done an in-depth look at all his trades and draft picks and categorized which ones are outright losses and he actually loses only a few of them by my estimation. I can't find the post I made, but it was a few months ago.

EDIT: 

Found it:

Not that I necessarily disagree with much of what you've written, but how can you go about calling players successes and saying none of the others are failures at this stage? Like, does that not seem unfair? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tom Sestito said:

Not that I necessarily disagree with much of what you've written, but how can you go about calling players successes and saying none of the others are failures at this stage? Like, does that not seem unfair? 

Do you mean as a result of not enough time passed? Are you asking in regards to the draft section?

Just now, -AJ- said:

Do you mean as a result of not enough time passed? Are you asking in regards to the draft section?

Sorry, I should clarify.

I think it's strange that you're willing to indicate that enough time has passed to say that X player is a success, but not enough time has passed to say that player Y is a failure. 

It just seems uneven to me.

And I think your list of trades is oddly one sided as well. If Benning was hitting as often as your list indicates, our team would be a lot better than it currently is. I don't have a gripe with our amateur talent evaluation, but our pro scouting has been an objective failure. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

Sorry, I should clarify.

I think it's strange that you're willing to indicate that enough time has passed to say that X player is a success, but not enough time has passed to say that player Y is a failure. 

It just seems uneven to me.

And I think your list of trades is oddly one sided as well. If Benning was hitting as often as your list indicates, our team would be a lot better than it currently is. I don't have a gripe with our amateur talent evaluation, but our pro scouting has been an objective failure. 

You make some good points.

I think my philosophy is that a trade isn't a failure until proven as such. That said, if a player immediately succeeds (like Leivo), then they can be instantly noted as a success. I see your point though and there's probably a more balanced way to look at it.

Regarding my list of trades and why we're not so good yet, I think a lot of the trades are extremely small victories, and only a few big ones. To put it into numbers (because I'm a numbers guy), say we need to get to 1000 to be a cup contender and we were at 150 when Benning started. He's done a lot of trades that have been +5, but even 20 +5 trades only gets you to 250, where you still suck.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think JB has done a good job digging out a rotten root and planted a new one that is healthy and slowly growing.  

Through acquisition and the limited options he has had, he has done an adequate job in restocking the prospect cupboards, trying his best to find players to plug in to insulate the future and young prospects, and has had some shrewd acquisitions such as Baertschi, Leivo, Stecher.

However, I do believe like any good team, you go through cycles of GM's and Coaches before you land on the spot.  Good teams like Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA, Boston, Washington who have been successful in winning the Stanley Cup have cycled through many GM's and coaches before they found the right one.

To JB's credit he has done great and helped us get to a good spot, but at some point I think the team will go as far as his skill set will take them. I think JB is a great foundation builder and that goes hand in hand with his scouting and talent finding experience.  But I think for the team to eventually get over a significant hump to become a true contender team, a more experienced GM will be needed, perhaps even a more veteran tested coach.

But we aren't there yet, and who knows JB could grow into that role.  Overall, I am satisfied with where we are, but I am eager to see this team take the next step in its development, hopefully JB evolves as well along with this team.  He makes mistakes, some pretty glaring ones, but humans are allowed to make mistakes...no one is perfect.  Patience is a hard virtue to have, and its understandable that some fans and media are disgruntled.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1