The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Dallas Stars, March 17, 2019, 4 PM

KyoNami

3 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Green is choked, he might have got the mandate to play the kids and he knows this will not help his stats, he may even be on the rails. He is being "professional".

Dallas is in a battle to retain a wild card playoff spot, they will come out hard but will ease up if they get a big lead.

I think Goldy is just being used as a whipping boy, no real reason to bench him vs a half dozen others. Green makes him a distraction.

Yep and still the 5th leading scorer on the team. The kid has made progress this year and needs to make more progress next year, it's just a coach who has lost focus on the bigger picture.

3 minutes ago, ItalianCanuck1 said:

Travis Green saying what some of us have been saying for most of the season.

He hasn't earned enough trust to be counted on as a regular player on the team.  He's shown a bit better in a handfull of games lately, but I believe it's a little too late for him.

He's a decent AHL player at best.

19 minutes ago, aliboy said:

Yep and still the 5th leading scorer on the team. The kid has made progress this year and needs to make more progress next year, it's just a coach who has lost focus on the bigger picture.

Save for November though he hasn't been consistent. His issue is consistency. Take away his hot November he has one more point than Baertschi who has only played 22 games. 

To be a full time NHL player you have to show up and produce more than a month a season. Especially if you don't offer much at all defensively. 

I would argue some of you giving Goldobin a free pass are the ones failing to see the bigger picture. 

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

A few thoughts. 

1. Green's right. 4 points in 23 games while playing top 6 minutes is unacceptable on any team. Goldy needs to score.

2. The media cannot seem to stop asking Green about Goldy. It's a feedback loop. We never seem to hear about Eriksson or Granny, because he's never asked.

3. I think what I can make of thoughts 1 and 2, is that Green sees a future in Goldy with this team. 

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

Seems to have kept Eriksson in the league.

Eriksson can play the PK and defense with only 5 less points than Goldobin. While Goldobin has played well the last few games he offers little else to the team when he is not scoring. 

If you're going to be that vacant defensively you better be scoring consistently. 

16 minutes ago, Boudrias said:
1 hour ago, Davathor said:

Green actually makes a really good point. If your given a shot at top 6 minutes in this league, 4 points in 23 games isnt acceptable on any team. Especially when hes not not exactly a physical presence away from the puck.

Sometimes Green makes perfect sense.

Actually Green makes a lot of sense most of the time unlike most of his critics who flip from one player to the next looking for a reason to criticize management and coaching. They either know little about hockey or do not have the emotional toughness to go through a process.  

Controversial, Green says top 6 minutes? First, did he say that, I don't think so because it is was too easy to debunk. First with average icetime for the year and by looking at the last five games stats.

Just FYI stuff;

4 points in 23 games should not be acceptable but many on this team are going through this and they have the same line mates for the most part.

last 5 games - TO - 16:48 - 1 pt 6th TOI Forwards, Edm. - 16:28 - 0 pt - 5th toi F, LV - 9:52 - 0 pt - Last,18th toi, NYR, - 13:14 - 0 pt - 14/18 toi, NJD - 17:33 - 0 pt - 5th toi.

That is for Goldy's five games but there are many other players as well.

Green has stated he wanted bigger players.

16 minutes ago, The Beagle had landed said:

Travis Green saying what some of us have been saying for most of the season.

He hasn't earned enough trust to be counted on as a regular player on the team.  He's shown a bit better in a handfull of games lately, but I believe it's a little too late for him.

He's a decent AHL player at best.

I don't agree he's only an AHL player, he's 5th in points and has steadily improved. Not to mention the amount of posts hes hit, its a matter of inches. The other problem is Green keeps moving him around, as others have posted and as well as knows, his best chemistry as well as Patterson's, is with Patterson. Those 2 are the perfect compliment to each other and create an instant threat every time. Probably more so with Goldys improved all around game. If green would just leave Goldy with Petey, the points would have been there. Those 4 points in 23 games came on that line when Green left him there, which was maybe 2 shifts every 4 or 5 games. So my point being is that if Green stopped the blender, Goldy would have produced more and more than likely, same with Petey. So basically it's greens own doing.

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

With 11 games left, I'm shocked that Baer may come back.  Why not take the extra time to come back 100% next year?  I think its forgotten how big a piece of our offence he has been the last couple years, and how good he was to start the year.  He was a significant loss this year.

Maybe the experts and doctors say he is 100%.  :mellow:

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

While it is good to hear green say this, why does he leave eriksson in game after game?  Green's choices are worrisome.

Because Eriksson is strong defensively and kills penalties. Goldobin is one dimensional AND not producing right now. Pretty simple, if you're not going to score bring something to the table. 

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

While it is good to hear green say this, why does he leave eriksson in game after game?  Green's choices are worrisome.

It's not about Eriksson. Why should Eriksson's deployment affect Goldy's?

Eriksson is played in a shutdown role, while Green wants Goldy in an offensive role.

1 hour ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

I don’t get it? I thought Goldy had one of his better games last game. Was the first guy back a lot and even had multiple shot blocks. Does what Green wants him to do and is now sat? Goldy also probably has as many posts as anyone in the league. Could easily have another 6-7 goals. Not only that but Petey looked way better once Goldy got on his line. Their puck possession was the best it’s been in a while. Sometimes Green makes no sense.

Green makes perfect sense. This isn’t a league that gives gold stars and blue ribbons for trying your best, this is a league that requires players to get things done to consolidate themselves.

A top-6 forward in today’s high-scoring NHL constitutes being a reliable and consistent producer. Same reason Green has kept Virtanen in the bottom-6. 

Green is managing a team based on merit, not draft pedigree or names (bye Guddy). I like what I see.  

28 minutes ago, Cup2021 said:

I don't agree he's only an AHL player, he's 5th in points and has steadily improved. Not to mention the amount of posts hes hit, its a matter of inches. The other problem is Green keeps moving him around, as others have posted and as well as knows, his best chemistry as well as Patterson's, is with Patterson. Those 2 are the perfect compliment to each other and create an instant threat every time. Probably more so with Goldys improved all around game. If green would just leave Goldy with Petey, the points would have been there. Those 4 points in 23 games came on that line when Green left him there, which was maybe 2 shifts every 4 or 5 games. So my point being is that if Green stopped the blender, Goldy would have produced more and more than likely, same with Petey. So basically it's greens own doing.

Yup, Green is moving players around so they cannot build a chemistry. He leaves Marky almost alone and out to dry... Why? Did Green hope that Marky would fold and surrender to the pressure? 

Green does a lot that doesn't make sens if not he is tanking and/or have players he want to favourize. 

11 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Because he's on a shut down line and he's good defensively.  He's also good on the PK.

Having said that, I really think he's done and want to see the Canucks move on from him if they can

The way the forwards are set up, Baertschi and Goldy should be the top 2 LW's but Baer has been out most of the year and Goldy has been a work in progress and in and out of the line up.  The good news is that he seems to finally be getting it.  So, given this situation we are seeing the likes of Roussel, Leivo, Pearson and Spooner filling in the gaps.  All should really be bottom 6 imo.  I don't see anybody coming along in Utica either (since Dahlen crapped out) and I fear that Baer could be done with his 5th concussion.  This is why I think that Benning should be adding a top 6 LW.  It's going to push all these players down to a place where they are all comfortable and can perform.  And it puts Eriksson in the SHL ::D

14 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Because he's on a shut down line and he's good defensively.  He's also good on the PK.

Having said that, I really think he's done and want to see the Canucks move on from him if they can

The way the forwards are set up, Baertschi and Goldy should be the top 2 LW's but Baer has been out most of the year and Goldy has been a work in progress and in and out of the line up.  The good news is that he seems to finally be getting it.  So, given this situation we are seeing the likes of Roussel, Leivo, Pearson and Spooner filling in the gaps.  All should really be bottom 6 imo.  I don't see anybody coming along in Utica either (since Dahlen crapped out) and I fear that Baer could be done with his 5th concussion.  This is why I think that Benning should be adding a top 6 LW.  It's going to push all these players down to a place where they are all comfortable and can perform.  And it puts Eriksson in the SHL ::D

Recently benning stated how poorly eriksson has played.

Now green sits goldy because green says goldy has been poor.  Eriksson has been at least as bad. I know supposedly eriksson gets left in games because of his D play. But really....are his advanced stats any better then a guy like motte who makes much less? I am honestly asking the question as I do not know and I am not big on advanced stats.

You guys out there that are advanced stats guys...what do the stats say about motte vs eriksson with respect to defensive play?

And if motte's stats are just as good...they should sit eriksson until they can dump him on a bottom cap team this summer. They wont though....because the NHL is notorious for GMs signing UFAs to disaster level contracts but then those same GMs rarely man up about their huge mistake. You can go on almost every team board in the NHL and see the team's fans complaining about some stupid plug they have on a high contract yet their coaches continue to play these same plugs (ala eriksson) instead of inserting some AHL level replacement player. I wish money meant as little to me as it does to these NHL teams lol.

Edit: I am in no way comparing how goldy and eriksson play other then they both have played poorly. I am pointing out the hypocrisy that green displays in benching a junior player not earning much vs a vet making 6million per that JB himself gave a contract too.

22 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Green makes perfect sense. This isn’t a league that gives gold stars and blue ribbons for trying your best, this is a league that requires players to get things done to consolidate themselves.

A top-6 forward in today’s high-scoring NHL constitutes being a reliable and consistent producer. Same reason Green has kept Virtanen in the bottom-6. 

Green is managing a team based on merit, not draft pedigree or names (bye Guddy). I like what I see.  

Not sure.  Feels more like he is treating each players individually based on what he thinks is best to get them to reach their maximum potential.  

You don't treat a bottom-6 guy the same way you treat someone who has the potential to be a top-6.  The bottom-6 might be playing ahead but it doesn't mean he earned it on merit.  You can't ask more from a bottom-6 because he might already be at his limit but you can ask more from someone with top-6 potential.

Leivo is 0.4 ppg playing with either Horvat or Pettersson and on PP1.  He ranks 235th in P60 among Fs with minimum 35 games (Vancouver time only as a different deployment in Toronto) - he's not particularly productive for the offensive minutes he is getting.  

Not sure he has much more patience with Goldobin though. 

Archived