The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson passes Ivan Hlinka & Pavel Bure as Canucks All-time Rookie Point Leader (61 Points)

Roberts

I had projected him for about 40-50 points and considered that to be an outstanding year.    He has exceeded each and every expectation in my books and is one of the top rookies in the entire NHL without question.   What a year for EP and what a great future that seems in store for him.    

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Elias is a great addition for a team, but as good as he is he still needs help. The entire team needs more.

The current team goal of "playing meaningful games in March" is laughable.

This management group has deteriorated fan expectations from a cup contender to not even a playoff spot, 5 years and now the ultimate season goal is to win 5 more games than last year and "play meaningful games in March".

Fire this management group, plan for the next decade not the next day. 

57876020.jpg

Lets face it, we have a player that the whole league is talking about,this is his first year in the league and without him in our line up this year,

"some" Canuck fans might have left.

I don't want to say we are due for a superstar but ok I'll say it ,WE ARE DUE.

Good luck now and forever to Elias,our very own CLASS ACT ,just like the Sedins.

4 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I hope he grows and improves as predicted.  He's being called a generational talent across the board, but as great as he is, the reality is that the league scoring leader has literally twice his points.

He has literally no support though. Horvat sort of and Boeser. That’s it. Imagine if he had a Keith or Doughty in the back end dissecting plays with him. Or imagine if Green let him off his leash and he didn’t have to worry about backchecking or blocking shots to avoid the Goldy treatment as much. He would be insane.

Generational talent he probably is not but there are some aspects of his game that are off the charts, like his awareness of the ice is top tops even being compared to Crosby and Gretzky. Unfortunately he doesn’t have McMuffins size or speed or he would be one for sure. But who knows where his hockey iq can take him. Let’s just find out and enjoy it. 

Leads all rookies in points by a healthy margin and is top 5 in the league in terms of GWG. Not to mention, he is a plus player on a sub-par team. With an off-season of training, and hopefully some strong additions to the team, I can see him cracking 80+ points next year as long as he stays healthy.

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

You just never really do know ... Messier might be the best pick ever outside the first round...Kucherov is giving him a run for his money right now though.  Over the years there has been some tremendous later round steals...Theo Fluery, Zetterberg, St Louis,  Datsyuk, Robataille, Bondra, Lundqvist and Rinne (the last two picked after 200, or 7th and 8th round...wow), and Jamie Benn and Bure round out the field.

Not to mention the Hansen’s and Gaudettes of the world, they are just as important as hitting on your first rounders...

Very true, but even more amazing is that St. Louis was undrafted. After a stellar college career, no NHL team was interested, likely because of his diminutive stature. He signed with Calgary as a Free Agent after a good year in the IHL.

2 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Very true, but even more amazing is that St. Louis was undrafted. After a stellar college career, no NHL team was interested, likely because of his diminutive stature. He signed with Calgary as a Free Agent after a good year in the IHL.

He’s the only HHOF i can think of that’s done this..as far as undrafted goes I think Thomas also was and had a pretty good career too (not the goalie)...

6 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Elias is a great addition for a team, but as good as he is he still needs help. The entire team needs more.

The current team goal of "playing meaningful games in March" is laughable.

This management group has deteriorated fan expectations from a cup contender to not even a playoff spot, 5 years and now the ultimate season goal is to win 5 more games than last year and "play meaningful games in March".

Fire this management group, plan for the next decade not the next day. 

If you think 9 more games when you’re just 6 points out of a playoff spot aren’t meaningful then you really are clueless. 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

He’s the only HHOF i can think of that’s done this..as far as undrafted goes I think Thomas also was and had a pretty good career too (not the goalie)...

HHOF:

Ed Belfour, Dino Ciccarelli, Joe Mullen, Adam Oates, Borje Salming, Peter Stastny

Worthy of Mention:

Glenn Resch, Curtis Joseph, Jon Casey, Greg Adams! Greg Adams!, Antti Niemi, Sergei Bobrovsky, Dan Boyle, Geoff Courtnall, Charlie Huddy, Steve Duchesne, Mike Keane, Chris Kunitz, Jamie Macoun, Marty McSorley, Rick Meagher, Artemi Panarin, Mike Ridley, Dave Poulin, Doug Smail, Alex Burrows

10 hours ago, IBatch said:

You just never really do know ... Messier might be the best pick ever outside the first round...Kucherov is giving him a run for his money right now though.  Over the years there has been some tremendous later round steals...Theo Fluery, Zetterberg, St Louis,  Datsyuk, Robataille, Bondra, Lundqvist and Rinne (the last two picked after 200, or 7th and 8th round...wow), and Jamie Benn and Bure round out the field.

Not to mention the Hansen’s and Gaudettes of the world, they are just as important as hitting on your first rounders...

Please never bring up a Messier again in any shape or form unless you are talking about how much you hate him.

22 hours ago, wildcam said:

With 9 games remaining and breaking record with 61 points now....Should be another 6-9 points left in EP -- should get 67-70 points

Amazing only 20 years old...

He hit 61 despite missing 10 or so games due to injury. Thats impressive. 

Archived