The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks | Mar. 18, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

In this draft we need someone who could be a home run.  No more Virtanens or OJ's.  We can find those latter in the draft. Gaudette is looking like he will be better then Jake. Caufield is a goal scoring machine. We are not talking about a D man here. He has the shot , the hands , the quickness and the hockey IQ. I don't care about his size. Watch his video's. We need to draft high end skill in the first round. We will probably be drafting around 12th. The team is picking things up again and Hughes will play a half dozen games. 

Debrincat was last years version. 

Not too sure if you think Schroeder was a d-man, so a little confused, but all the good things you say about Caufield are parallel to what was being said about Schroeder. There were a lot of happy 'nuck fans when we drafted him, but history has shown him to be mediocre NHL wise. DeBrincat also fit into that category, but is a major success. I'm not saying that Caufield will be Schroeder 2:0, but it would a nervous wait before we found out !

1 hour ago, Canckelhead said:

Team plays pretty well when all the pressure is off them, doesn't translate well for playoff's or draft position tho.

could say the same for the coach

why doesn't he put the tem on shuffle when the pressure is off?

or is it because he doesn't need to find a spot for Goldy,

on every line?

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

That’s it!  Cheap and tastes just fine once you’ve had a few.

hey!  How about our guys?  Crap Green sure gets the boys to give 109% doesn’t he?  Should Bo be named captain now? He’s really good, isn’t he?  More cheap scotch than down the hatch for this old Alf.  Did you know my wife has ‘/.  Yup.  It really sucks.  She always wanted a muscle car that rumbles so I got he a Didge Chalkenger Hellcat.  She took it to the island and said she used the whole 707 hp .  I’m so happy for her.  She ran 11.1 in the NCAA 100 years ago, so to go 200 mph is excellent for her.  And she lived!  I personally will not get in that griffin car with her.  Too scary fast.  I like the converted van so I can take my scooter. 

ALf, you are proof that even cheap Scotch can be effective. 

5 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Not too sure if you think Schroeder was a d-man, so a little confused, but all the good things you say about Caufield are parallel to what was being said about Schroeder. There were a lot of happy 'nuck fans when we drafted him, but history has shown him to be mediocre NHL wise. DeBrincat also fit into that category, but is a major success. I'm not saying that Caufield will be Schroeder 2:0, but it would a nervous wait before we found out !

Schroeder was never a prolific goal scorer. Debrincat was over 50 and Caufield is the same. Any player who can score over 50 goals against his peers needs to be taken seriously. This kid is not a Schroeder. He is more of a Gaudreau or Theo Fleury.

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Needs to work on winning draws - was pretty crappy in the circle last night.   Season long, Boeser has a better winning %

He's a rookie!!  He is still learning but is noticeably improving as the season goes along.  He shows a lot of promise.  

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pettersson is a superstar fir sure.  It’s our lack of guys older than him that we don’t have producing points.  Now, that’s a function of being a pretty good team during the Gillis era, and drafting at the bottom of round one.  The big point producers most often come much higher in round one.  I think we need one more elite point producer, who also drives the play on forward and on D.  That’s why I’m not liking drafting outside the top 10, which it is looking like.  

I agree we need at least one more top winger to compete or even another center than we could move EP to the wing and really watch him explode.   And yes we need another top defenseman to play with Hughes or man the second line.  That would make the world of difference...

As far as the word “superstar” goes the definition is overused today.  To be an actual superstar you have to be consistently either a first or second all-star at your position, or the top one or two...the league has several right now, Kucherov, McDavid, Crosby (also a selke candidate), Ovechkin, Kane and Karlsson.  Really that’s about it...the rest are stars,  nothing wrong about that.  If you look at TO whos the best player on that team, the one who makes whoever they play with a better player too...I’d go with Marner...and he doesn’t have the pedigree or the moxy or whatever too demand the same pay as Mathews and Tavares...superstar moniker and expectations of Mathews plays into that.

Superstars can play with anyone and still produce and make third or fourth liners produce like second or first liners (see Crosby and McCaan, or Rust, or Sheary, or whatever spare parts he gets to play with, same with P Kane, same with EK prior to SJ, same with McDavid...Kucherov is a recent addition but looks like the real deal.  

EP has definitely shown flashes of that, and has managed more than we could have hoped for so far (switching to center, playing with one chump on his line all year and one future star performer in Boeser).  He doesn’t feast on the PP, draws penalties evey game almost, is very clutch as a lot of his goals are game winners or game tying goals, has a lot of first assists etc..and plays against the best competition and keeps them off the score board as well as any other player on our team if not the best at it (already, wow are we lucky).  He also has the desire to get better and constantly works on his game.  Draft plus one he personally identified 20 things wrong with his shot and drilled each one individually until he was satisfied...and the results are glowing.

Hes barely 170lbs and yet has the hardest shot on the team, better than even Boeser, using torque and body position as an ally (much the same as tiger woods did with his driving) AND most impressively like Guy Lafluer lived in an areas where hockey skill coaches and extra help you’d find in a city wasn’t available...he’s 100% self taught, creating a unique style we’ve never seen before.  

Hes also deceptively fast, you notice  his lap time at the all-star game was similar to Bures...top speed is excellent.  

Im saying all this because it’s entirely possible that your correct in calling him a superstar, and I think he will be ... but he’s not there yet.    Add a tough winger that can play with him and be his bodyguard like Gretzky had, and I think he will flourish.  If not we might never see the best of him, Benning has some work to do and pronto, this team needs to send as many messages as it has to until the other teams get he’s off limits, the same way they did with Gretzky.  Might not be possible because other stars also have to take more punishment than they should, but it doesn’t have to that way if the entire team stands up for each other and especially their top guys.

1 hour ago, Canckelhead said:

Team plays pretty well when all the pressure is off them, doesn't translate well for playoff's or draft position tho.

Yeah, really sucks. They are playing like a very young team trying to learn what it takes to stay consistent in the hardest league in the world... oh wait.

7 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Best cheap Scotch in the world is Kardhu...hard to find but it’s as good most  100-150$ bottles and goes for around 60-70$.  Last time I found it was in the airport in Calgary...if you find it try it out, you will be thanking me and very happy about it.  Mellow from first sip, middle and finish excellent, nice flavours etc.  Try it all by itself or add a little ice..it’s great stuff.

Intererting back story too, I believe it was made by a group for women in a remote area of Scotland, and was so good that it turned into what it is today.

26 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Best cheap Scotch in the world is Kardhu...hard to find but it’s as good most  100-150$ bottles and goes for around 60-70$.  Last time I found it was in the airport in Calgary...if you find it try it out, you will be thanking me and very happy about it.  Mellow from first sip, middle and finish excellent, nice flavours etc.  Try it all by itself or add a little ice..it’s great stuff.

Intererting back story too, I believe it was made by a group for women in a remote area of Scotland, and was so good that it turned into what it is today.

I've got a buddy in London who is a member of the Royal Scotch Society.  I'll ask him about it and see if he can provide any background.  

2 hours ago, aliboy said:

That time was after the all star break when we were still in it, the fact that we are now winning when it's already over is not when you find out about your team, that already happened. Although it's true, that some are playing for jobs, they are the same ones who didn't show up when it mattered.

Actually this is EXACTLY when you find out about your team. Tough back-to-back against two teams with playoff aspirations and talent. The Canucks are playing for nothing, yet come out with energy both games and get two wins. Yes it's important to win when it matters, but the fact that the ENTIRE team is still working hard with nothing on the line is laudable and is important for development. It would have been easy to mail in the final 12 games, the team is exhausted, but they keep working hard and that's important. These wins are showing the young guys that they can compete in the heat down the stretch. 

25 minutes ago, Puckster said:

All this talk of drafting midgets is concerning.....

a little more size & grit please

Yeah could you imagine if a team was built based on speed and skil and didn’t worry about adding grinders and enforcers?? No way a team like that could compete with real contenders like, say, the Tampa bay lightning

:rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Yeah could you imagine if a team was built based on speed and skil and didn’t worry about adding grinders and enforcers?? No way a team like that could compete with real contenders like, say, the Tampa bay lightning

:rolleyes:

Their skill guys do tend to grind out though.

Hedman is skilled but definitly not fast. Good luck winning a puck battle against him.

Nothing fast or skilled about Callahan 

Coburn is another that doesnt fit the bill you described. 

Erne is another guy with 2x the penalty mins as pts.

Jt miller fast not very skilled

Basically none of their defence is that small speedy type you described.

1 hour ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I've got a buddy in London who is a member of the Royal Scotch Society.  I'll ask him about it and see if he can provide any background.  

Sweet!  I’m in Ontario now and can’t find it ...have asked the LCBO but they don’t get it in..

2 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

We have to remember how old those taste buds of his are tho...probably only working at half capacity nowadays...i've drank bad scotch...and I still can't get the taste out of my mouth haha.

Archived