The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks | Mar. 18, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

We have to remember how old those taste buds of his are tho...probably only working at half capacity nowadays...i've drank bad scotch...and I still can't get the taste out of my mouth haha.

Quite possible.  It could be a case of his taste buds being a match for his brain cells.:lol:

1 hour ago, Puckster said:

All this talk of drafting midgets is concerning.....

a little more size & grit please

I am not a big believer in small players but skill comes first . If you can get a player with size and skill then you go size every time. If we start getting pushed out of the top ten then you need to continue to focus on skill first. 

Jake Virtanen or Debrincat or Gaudreau. Who is more valuable?   If we end up drafting in top ten then there is size and skill.

The second round and down is where you go after depth, role type players.

6 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Well let's say if Vancouver dropped one spot in the standings. If Vancouver got #3 perhaps Benning would have picked Pierre Luc Dubious 

True, but not really what I meant. I meant that it’s a crap shoot as to what position we will pick. As we all know finishing lower doesn’t necessarily equate to a higher pick.

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Their skill guys do tend to grind out though.

Hedman is skilled but definitly not fast. Good luck winning a puck battle against him.

Nothing fast or skilled about Callahan 

Coburn is another that doesnt fit the bill you described. 

Erne is another guy with 2x the penalty mins as pts.

Jt miller fast not very skilled

Basically none of their defence is that small speedy type you described.

Loom at the guys driving the bus on that team. Kucherov, stamkos, point, Johnson, gourde, palat. These are the offensive drivers and these are the types of players that put the lightning over the top. 

Yeah big strong defenders and hard-nosed grinders are important, but they aren’t the top players on elite teams. Speed and skill dominate the game and it’s worth spending your top draft picks on these players

edit: i’ll Throw Cirelli and Killorn in that group too, who have been unsung hero’s this year

Solid game for the Pearson/Horvat/LE line imo...

Bo with 15 dzone starts (25%) - 50% corsi, 2 pts, gwg....

Beagle, Granny, Motte = likewise, solid game against a team that takes a lot of risks.

Fun to beat that team full of #milkhotdogs despite the tank implications.

Toews got exposed.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is finishing in the middle a good thing during our rebuilding phase though?  We clearly need a couple more elite guys, who drive the offence.  Where do we get them, if not at the top of the first round?  

Development is just as important as drafting high (just ask Edmonton). Finishing in the middle of the pack means we were fighting until the end and may even remotely be chasing a playoff spot. This is experience that our current team can build on and grow. There's no point having a bunch of good picks in a losing atmosphere.

We can either still win a lottery spot or pick out a hidden gem. Very good players are found outside the top 10 all the time.

Larkin, Pastrnak, DeBrusk, Barzal, Connor, Chabot, Boeser, MacAvoy, Fabbro, Necas, Suzuki, Foote, Brannstrom, Valimaki, Wahlstrom, Dobson, Kaut, Ty Smith. Just to name a few from the last 5 years alone.

11 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Loom at the guys driving the bus on that team. Kucherov, stamkos, point, Johnson, gourde, palat. These are the offensive drivers and these are the types of players that put the lightning over the top. 

Yeah big strong defenders and hard-nosed grinders are important, but they aren’t the top players on elite teams. Speed and skill dominate the game and it’s worth spending your top draft picks on these players

edit: i’ll Throw Cirelli and Killorn in that group too, who have been unsung hero’s this year

For sure a teams top guys cant bw grinders and what not but your previous post totally dismissed that type of player. 

Just now, 73 Percent said:

For sure a teams top guys cant bw grinders and what not but your previous post totally dismissed that type of player. 

Miscommunication on my part then. I was intending to point out that size and grit are not the main traits to target in a high draft pick. Looking back I see I wasn’t being very clear

17 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Beagle, Granny, Motte = likewise, solid game against a team that takes a lot of risks.

Toews got exposed.

07B353EB-98A3-49F9-93F3-D1952E27F070.jpeg

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

just realized that Buffalo has somehow managed to fall behind the Canucks overall - wt?

And Deadmonton....again....

JB still getting schooled by tank nations....

I get the Oilers being crappy.  What’s up in ?Buffalo though?  They have a team full of really good young players, don’t they?  They should be way ahead of us in stockpiling young stars, no?  

31 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Toews got exposed.

Jonathen "we know who they are" Toews was completed eliminated by Edler when he did a lazy float-by and Eddy and Bo turned the corner on him for the win.

Also, wasn't Bo 100% on draws at a point late in the game?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I get the Oilers being crappy.  What’s up in ?Buffalo though?  They have a team full of really good young players, don’t they?  They should be way ahead of us in stockpiling young stars, no?  

I guess there's more to winning than stockpiling a few high picks/'stars'....?

But I did think their depth would be better this year....

That said, Skinner is over-rated,  Mittelstadt isn't really NHL ready - and most of their 'stars' are just not very good 'possession' players - yet.

Still lots to uptick there.

7 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Jonathen "we know who they are" Toews was completed eliminated by Edler when he did a lazy float-by and Eddy and Bo turned the corner on him for the win.

Also, wasn't Bo 100% on draws at a point late in the game?

I dunno, but he was 74% for the game....

If Chicago can't handle this replacement roster on a travel and play back to back - they're not a playoff team imo.

They've got to be one of the 'easiest' teams to play against in the NHL.

3 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Yeah, really sucks. They are playing like a very young team trying to learn what it takes to stay consistent in the hardest league in the world... oh wait.

There's a lot of vets on the team incase you haven't noticed.

Archived