The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks | Mar. 18, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I dunno, but he was 74% for the game....

If Chicago can't handle this replacement roster on a travel and play back to back - they're not a playoff team imo.

They've got to be one of the 'easiest' teams to play against in the NHL.

Just a reminder for when people gripe about Green (and WD before him) demanding the young guys play a 200 foot game.  There’s a reason for it.

17 hours ago, DarkGhost said:

Well there goes getting a high draft pick...

What a joke. 

This is just like last year. Start strong, get injuries and suck, then win at the end to lower draft odds. A winning environment is great but we still need another 1st line and second line winger. Might be hard to get that with UFAs JB is willing to pay.

56 minutes ago, Canckelhead said:

There's a lot of vets on the team incase you haven't noticed.

So do all the teams in the league. Carolina is the youngest team, captained by a 37 year old. I don't see what having veterans on the team has to do with anything if the average age is still so low. That's like going into a McDonalds and judging their exceedingly young staff on the few people in older generations working there. It's still a young group.

According to hero sports we were in the youngest 1/4 percentage in the league at the start of the year. Considering the team now has Gaud playing in for Sutter, while the other changes probably cancel each other out, we have got even younger. In case you haven't noticed.

35 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

This is just like last year. Start strong, get injuries and suck, then win at the end to lower draft odds. A winning environment is great but we still need another 1st line and second line winger. Might be hard to get that with UFAs JB is willing to pay.

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Very good players are found outside the top 10 all the time.

Larkin, Pastrnak, DeBrusk, Barzal, Connor, Chabot, Boeser, MacAvoy, Fabbro, Necas, Suzuki, Foote, Brannstrom, Valimaki, Wahlstrom, Dobson, Kaut, Ty Smith. Just to name a few from the last 5 years alone.

I've bolded the potential/current top 6 forwards. We could potentially get one of these guys and be in a winning environment. Development of your young players is just as crucial as picking good players.

39 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

We need another legit top 4 guy before any more forwards.

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

Not that I think it would happen or that I would want it to...

But if we win our next 9 games we can make the playoffs, right?

There is still a chance, however slim.

Last I heard was 8-0-1 would get us the last wild card.

So, if that is correct, then 9-0-0 oughta about do it.

Just now, Odd. said:

Not that I think it would happen or that I would want it to...

But if we win our next 9 games we can make the playoffs, right?

It would certainly up the odds, but it'll depend on how the other teams perform as well. Make the playoffs or not, I'd like to see us keep beating the teams currently fighting for playoffs spots. I don't care much about playing spoiler, but it's actual competition with those teams that are still trying. Beating the top teams now don't mean as much because they probably have the foot off the gas in preparation for a playoff run.

1 minute ago, Goal:thecup said:

There is still a chance, however slim.

Last I heard was 8-0-1 would get us the last wild card.

So, if that is correct, then 9-0-0 oughta about do it.

So if we lose 2 more games we officially out

Just now, theo5789 said:

It would certainly up the odds, but it'll depend on how the other teams perform as well. Make the playoffs or not, I'd like to see us keep beating the teams currently fighting for playoffs spots. I don't care much about playing spoiler, but it's actual competition with those teams that are still trying. Beating the top teams now don't mean as much because they probably have the foot off the gas in preparation for a playoff run.

That's kind of why I asked, because lately I thought we've been playing pretty meaningless games but I just took a look at the standings and we are actually pretty close.

We've just won 2 games including coming off an OTL before the back-to-back.

Tomorrow's game will really decide it for me. We are vsing the worst team in the league. If these boys lose to Ottawa tomorrow, ill be riding Team Tank until the end of the season

9 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Guess you didn't watch the game. Gaudette made 3 good hits on one shift alone and I saw at least a couple other hits. He is getting better and more physical.

Watch a game maybe.

I did watch the game. Maybe you shouldn't overhype average play from 4h line prospects. I'll bet you want Lui Erickson's jersey retired after his amazing play!

9 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

The 1st poster refers to Shorthouse, not Batchelor, so it appears he was watching the game. Probably an attempt to join the 'CDC tough guys club' by being all meat and potatoes-esque ! Virtanen was iffy, offensively, but was fine defensively. Gaudette had good game !

Nah, didn't see that. Probably an attempt to join the "Every Canucks Prospect is a hall of famer club" by being a smart ass, put down expert.

8 hours ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

JV couldnt really find his game last night..

But Gaudette worked his butt off. It's hard to separate effort from Gaudette.

He did make some mistakes but other than that, he played to the system and got the puck in deep every chance he got and made some solid plays in the O-zone.

I like what Gaudette has to offer, combination of speed, some toughness and some offence. I just don't see it every night. I wish he brought it more frequently. JV is Goldobin's twin, lots of potential but very inconsistent and greatly overhyped by fans.

16 minutes ago, Odd. said:

So if we lose 2 more games we officially out

Well, according to sportsclubstats.com, we can still get in losing 2 more games.

Here's my attempt to condense their extensive charts:

90 points 9-0-0 = 73.4% chance we're in.

89 points 8-0-1= 49.0%.

88 points 8-1-0 = 24.5%.

7-0-2 = 23.3%

87 points 7-1-1 = 8.6%.

6-0-3 = 8.2%.

86 points 7-2-0 = 1.9%.

6-1-2 = 1.8%

5-0-4 = 1.7%

85 points 6-2-1 = .3%.

5-1-3 = .3%.

4-0-5 = .3%

If they're right, and we would need Baumerman77 (or whatever his dumbass name was) to make a case against their math, we could lose 2 more and finish either 7-2-0 (86 points) or 6-2-1 (85 points) and still have a very slight chance of getting in.

Just win baby.

19 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Playoffs?

I'm pretty sure there's a rule that says whenever you use that word on the internet, you have to include a photo of Jim Mora...

image.png.e6d8c6ef85d37f9982b708a9413657d9.png

As far as the "win streak" goes, I fully admit that I was on team tank.....back when Connor McDavid was entering the draft. At least, sort of...

I didn't advocate trading the Sedins, or deliberately playing to lose. I just argued (vehemently) against signing Miller and Vrbata. (and yes, I was against signing Eriksson a couple of years later, although not quite so vehemently)

As I saw it, those trades turned a lottery team into a bubble team and I would have happily traded the playoff embarrassment at the hands of the Flames, for even a 5% chance at drafting McDavid.

Now that there's no real generational talent available (although I'd love to have Jack Hughes) I'm fine with a win or a loss. As long as the team competes and we see some real development from the young guys. Of course, like everyone else, I love to see Petey setting records and (hopefully) winning the Calder.

In beating the Hawks last night, the 'Nucks put a dent in the playoff hopes of one of my least liked teams, so even without Alf's cheap ass blended scotch, I'm a happy camper.

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

just realized that Buffalo has somehow managed to fall behind the Canucks overall - wt?

And Deadmonton....again....

JB still getting schooled by tank nations....

edit:

/s

wth, i thought buffalo was doing well this season, injurys or what happened? @SabreFan1

Archived