The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Telus or shaw for cable/internet? Which do you prefer and why?

10pavelbure96

Telus/Shaw  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 hours ago, Russ said:

Go to a stall and talk to them, generally they have better prices.  I went with a 3rd party that pulls their internet from Shaw and cut the cable myself just because Shaw only does my area and I wasn't paying the stupid cable prices.

I'll give a stall a shot, thanks ;) Yeah, we're tempted to cut cable too. Only really ever use it for hockey. Telus managed to keep me around with the $77 price for internet + TV (hockey) but at $89, $129 and $189...Shaw can take their cable service and F off :lol:

18 hours ago, inane said:

they both suck, but telus customer service is what forced me to switch to shaw. they were beyond inept.4

I find Telus' problem is more a left hand/right hand issue. The left hand (customer service reps) seems to have a major disconnect with their right hand (installation/tech guys). They have a sizable, internal communication issue IMO. They're quite friendly about it though!:lol:

But once you get through that to a working system at the prices you were promised, the actual service/product itself is quite good IMO and again the reps are friendly/helpful.

Edit:

Eww...just checked and I have to risk my life and head in to the terrifying depths of Richmond for the closest Shaw stall apparently :wacko:

Edited by aGENT

On 3/19/2019 at 4:07 PM, Shekky said:

Shaw No Cap on Downloading now and 600MB/s download my biggest complaint is the $&!#ty 20 Mb/s Upload

well I have telus 150 download and 150 upload with no cap. Telus has better speeds as I have FTTH, much better than shared connection of shaw cable internet

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I HAD TELUS 750 ON A 24 MONTH TERM FOR $40 A MONTH.  YES I GOT A CRAZY DEAL BECAUSE I TOLD TELUS IF I DON'T GET A BETTER PRICE AND I AM GOING TO SHAW.  THEY MADE ME A CRAZY OFFER FOR $40 A  MONTH FOR 2 YEARS...  

BUT WHEN THEY SAY 750 MBPS   THAT MEAN UP TO 750 MBPS BUT ONLY ON ONE DIRECT CONNECT LINE.. AND THE MOST I GET WAS AROUND 500 MBPS

WIFI SPEED AROUND 350 MBPS ON 5 GHZ  

70 MBPS ON 2.4 GHZ

BUT AGAIN FOR $40 A MONTH, I AM FINE WITH IT.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The Colt 45s said:

I live in rural Missouri in a town with 5,000 people.  We have GIG service down and 150 up.

Hey hey hey..... screw you!  I love how little towns in USA can get great speeds but major cities up here absolutely screwed because its "not feasable".  How much do you pay a month?

16 hours ago, Russ said:

Hey hey hey..... screw you!  I love how little towns in USA can get great speeds but major cities up here absolutely screwed because its "not feasable".  How much do you pay a month?

$89 bundled with home phone service.

Edited by The Colt 45s

Had Shaw forever, then moved and switched to Telus. Have had zero issues in eight years, even during the changeover to fibre optic. Have never had a service outage and have all the high speed internet our household needs. I also like that I can PVR whatever programming I want from anywhere in the world. It all comes down to personal preference, and I am sure there are just as many satisfied Shaw customers.

On 2/21/2020 at 10:26 PM, tom88888 said:

I HAD TELUS 750 ON A 24 MONTH TERM FOR $40 A MONTH.  YES I GOT A CRAZY DEAL BECAUSE I TOLD TELUS IF I DON'T GET A BETTER PRICE AND I AM GOING TO SHAW.  THEY MADE ME A CRAZY OFFER FOR $40 A  MONTH FOR 2 YEARS...  

BUT WHEN THEY SAY 750 MBPS   THAT MEAN UP TO 750 MBPS BUT ONLY ON ONE DIRECT CONNECT LINE.. AND THE MOST I GET WAS AROUND 500 MBPS

WIFI SPEED AROUND 350 MBPS ON 5 GHZ  

70 MBPS ON 2.4 GHZ

BUT AGAIN FOR $40 A MONTH, I AM FINE WITH IT.

Wifi speed will always be less and the further away you are from the router it will be more slower so don't expect wifi speeds to be different with other providers. 

On 2/25/2020 at 6:55 AM, Russ said:

I don't know about that because some rural areas in US also don't get good internet speeds. Maybe some places in US have great speeds but I doubt its like that everywhere in US. Vancouver actually has great internet service that is pretty stable, only problem is the high prices compared to places like Toronto that has more competition and cheaper prices.

I've been on Shaw for 11 years now.  Still have the old PVR not BlueCurve.  Lord help me if or when this box dies as they have no replacements.  I would be forced to BlueCurve.

Looked at Telus Optik (IPTV) and BlueCurve (IPTV) and found one HUGE problem for me. No VPN. 

I have to go through my TV packages and drop a couple of them.  Shaw bundle bill is now $260 for TV, 300 Net, Phone. It's gone up $60 in about 3 years.

On 2/27/2020 at 3:19 PM, DefCon1 said:

I don't know about that because some rural areas in US also don't get good internet speeds. Maybe some places in US have great speeds but I doubt its like that everywhere in US. Vancouver actually has great internet service that is pretty stable, only problem is the high prices compared to places like Toronto that has more competition and cheaper prices.

The infrastructure in my small town was partially paid by a grant from the local and state government.  We have GIG down and 150 up.  Actually, with our cable provider, they have GIG service in all of their 2373 markets.

• 2 weeks later...

Shaw... telus has failed me mannny times... had the tv and internet package .. internet rarely works , and the cable didnt work for months.. and they dont offer me anything .. so i switch to shaw.. for the first year i got harrassed by telus at my front door every week to switch to telus.... thats just brutal on how they work. How can they expect me to go back to telus with the poor treatment and harrassment. Thank god they finnaly stopped. Shaw has not failed me once.

• Like 1

Neither.  I go with an indy - pay half the price, get a better package and have better options to replay shows I have not pvr'd, etc.

Look into the companies buying access and selling it to you at significantly better prices - and then ask yourself what those giants are able/required to sell it to those sources for - and how much they are relatively milking you.

• 3 months later...

On 3/19/2019 at 6:29 PM, on the cycle said:

You guys should look at Techsavvy I know a few people that have it and say it's pretty good and quite a bit cheaper.

FYI.....TechSavvy is a 3rd party internet that resells Shaw's internet, BUT you have to pay for install,own equipment, etc....just as the old addage says "you get what you pay for"