The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Rank 3 in THN Future Watch

IBatch

Future Watch is exclusive to THN, where they compile a panel of NHL scouts and grade 21 and unders including prospects which they also list and rank (prospects only) top ten per franchise.  A few years ago they came out with an addition that predicted the Winnipeg Jets would become a contender and the team to beat in the West, even going as far as to say they had the framework of a dynasty.  Back then they hadn’t seen much of any playoff action and it could be easily laughed off as bold prediction, but now there is a lot of back slapping (and they like to bring it up when it’s pertinent).

Hughes comes in as their second best ranked drafted prospect in the world, behind (already drafted) Cale Makar who has the honours of the best one in the world at the moment.   It should be noted that they don’t consider a guy a NHLer until they truly makes a difference so Carter Hart is no longer on the list but guys like Demko (35), Zadina (7) and Batherson (27) are still ranked.  

My pick last year would have been Bouchard, he’s currently 13, one spot behind Boqvist.  Ugh what do I know. 

Vancouver was ranked third overall and given an A- grade, way up from last year.  Despite Pettersson, Gaudette and Boeser playing meaningful minutes who all were previously in the top one hundred (last year EP was ranked 2 BTW) , we still have four players ranked in the top hundred Hughes 2, Demko 35 (and the third best goalie behind Samsanov in WSH), OJ 66 (slipped from 23 last year ), and new comer Madden at 70 which was around where they ranked Hobey Baker Award winner  Gaudette last year. 

THN had nothing but glowing remarks for us, stating that our prospect pool and under 21ers is tailor made for today’s game.  Our fifth ranked prospect Dipietro just missed the top hundred cut, if he didn’t we’d be the only team with five in the ranking.  Most teams only have two or three in the top hundred, Vegas for example for a C+ ranked 25th overall and  has three guys but avoided a worse ranking on the strength of Glass ranked 3rd best prospect.  

What does this mean?   PHI ranked number one, TO number two (one becuase the troops are still coming, the other because they are already there) and  Vancouver number three... what it’s designed to do is provide a view for the future, which is why it’s called future watch, and if you look back at their previous years they’ve done an outstanding job of predicating what has actually happened.

The fact that an Eastern based publishment is giving us this many props is encouraging, and it definitely gives us hope for the future.  I for one was pleasantly surprised, I figured we’d be a little higher than last year (9)... and to think in 2015 we ranked 19 and a two years before that DFL.  

This is a big validation for Benning and his team.  The best teams in the future have the best 21 and unders, this is almost factual (sure there are outliers but even those teams end up not bad) and maybe we should be more patient with Benning and a little less critical of the mishaps. Me included.

As an aside  for those that rank Kakko above Hughes, it’s official THN most recent ranking has Hughes as the undeniable best draft pick available in 2019.  That leaves Sportsnet as the only major source the have Kakko above him. Good news for us if we win the lottery, no   reason (or doubt) not to pick Quins brother. Not that Kakko is a chump, he’s awesome too.

I’ve been supporting Benning mostly becuase he’s fixing an awful prospect pool, doesn’t mean he’s the best GM we could have (drafting Tryamkin and not making it easier for him, Palmu and Dahlen are three things that grate on me the most, LE is fine in comparison as it won’t interfere with CAP space or our pool) ... but maybe it’s time I take a break from bringing that up or remarking about it.  Others have preached patience and so have I, after reading this my viewpoint shifted a little more into the patience side of things again.  

IF Hughes makes the impact they expect of him, and the other guys also make it and make a difference, we already have what we need to contend (not even best case, the parts are there IF most of them work out).  

Look at the impact Markstrom and EP have had, Demko is predicted to be a good-great number one and DiPietro had a glowing .951 sp and GAA of 1.23 in the WJs, definitely not team Canada’s weak spot..goaltending looks bright going forward for a long time.

This years draft could push us over the top..Benning IS punching above his draft spot too, he’s a plus four (9th) which means even though our average draft position over the part four years is 7 he’s drafring like we have been getting all third overalls during that time span.  Given where we are drafting thats outstanding.  TB leads the pack drafting an average of 24th overall and ranking like they draft 8th each time.   If you look at their under 21ers and their pool it’s not hard to understand why...and they just about set a record for least amount of games before winning the presidents trophy.   Hopefully that can be us in time (especially we get the same cap breaks they do ha ha).  

Today at least, not much to complain about.  What are your thoughts about our 21 and unders, do you think THN got it right (by extension it means we will have the third best core when they all reach their prime), or not?

GM's have many duties but I still say the most important is drafting and developing.

The media in general have always been interested in selling newspapers or advertising but it is even more so today as print media is gasping for breath.  The easiest way to get noticed and to get hits on twitter etc is to get fans riled up.  The plain talking Benning is an easy target for these guys who must self promote or find themselves out of work.  I think that Benning is doing a good job at the most important aspect of being a GM.  At other aspects like contracts, trades and free agency, he is average.  

The Canucks are likely to get a top 10 pick in this years draft so the Future Watch rating will be even better next year.  The future is bright.

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Today at least, not much to complain about.  What are your thoughts about our 21 and unders, do you think THN got it right (by extension it means we will have the third best core when they all reach their prime), or not?

Don't know much about prospects, especially on other teams, so hard to say. But THN has no affiliation to the Canucks or anything, so I'm not going to argue with our ranking.

First time pretty much in franchise history? we've had what's considered a top prospect pool so that's definitely exciting.

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

This is a big validation for Benning and his team.  The best teams in the future have the best 21 and unders, this is almost factual (sure there are outliers but even those teams end up not bad) and maybe we should be more patient with Benning and a little less critical of the mishaps. Me included.

Others have preached patience and so have I, after reading this my viewpoint shifted a little more into the patience side of things again.  

Benning naysayers are not impatient, this is a fallacy. Most of them wanted him to accumulate as many draft picks as possible so he could take advantage of what THN is praising him for here: his drafting. People aren't as much upset with his draft misses (nobody bats 1000) as they are with the pro scouting / trades / free-agent side of things. There are very few people out there that would suggest Benning's drafting is a weakness.

5 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Don't know much about prospects, especially on other teams, so hard to say. But THN has no affiliation to the Canucks or anything, so I'm not going to argue with our ranking.

First time pretty much in franchise history? we've had what's considered a top prospect pool so that's definitely exciting.

Benning naysayers are not impatient, this is a fallacy. Most of them wanted him to accumulate as many draft picks as possible so he could take advantage of what THN is praising him for here: his drafting. People aren't as much upset with his draft misses (nobody bats 1000) as they are with the pro scouting / trades / free-agent side of things. There are very few people out there that would suggest Benning's drafting is a weakness.

I suppose the issue I take with some people’s opinions is they say Brackett is the reason we draft well but then blame Benning for Juolevi over Tkachuk :rolleyes:

Just now, GreyHatnDart said:

I suppose the issue I take with some people’s opinions is they say Brackett is the reason we draft well but then blame Benning for Juolevi over Tkachuk :rolleyes:

I'm sure Brackett has a lot to do with it but he's Benning's guy and he gets direction from the top so to suggest that Benning shouldn't get credit there is silly.

11 minutes ago, GreyHatnDart said:

I hear you there.  I suppose those people either don’t like Benning much at all, or are in the group that just can’t understand or accept that a president trophy team (top team) shouldn’t go from core to core without paying for it. 

35 minutes ago, GreyHatnDart said:

From what I understand, Benning weighs in very heavily on the 1st round pick and progressively relies more and more on Brackett and his team for the later rounds.

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

From what I understand, Benning weighs in very heavily on the 1st round pick and progressively relies more and more on Brackett and his team for the later rounds.

I believe this is how it works for all GMs, based on what other GMs have said in the media (like Burke and MacLean).

GMs will focus their scouting on who they think they might have a chance at in the 1st round (the most important pick) but don't have the time to keep tabs on everyone else like the actual grunt scouts do.

Great Job IBatch

This is the reason for my push for trading of veterans and the signings of UFA's of value...….

The rotation should continue, and hopefully Benning will not leave the Canucks in the same state as previous GM's

I think the majority of Fan's are pretty excited with out young guns, and the job Benning has done to acquire them

He has been so darn good at it, I just want him to be a little more aggressive moving out veterans...

Other than that...…..everything is coooool!

1 hour ago, GreyHatnDart said:

1st round picks vs late round picks

20 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Great Job IBatch

This is the reason for my push for trading of veterans and the signings of UFA's of value...….

The rotation should continue, and hopefully Benning with not leave the Canucks in the same state as previous GM's

I think the majority of Fan's are pretty excited with out young guns, and the job Benning has done to acquire them

He has been so darn good at it, I just want him to be a little more aggressive moving out veterans...

Other than that...…..everything is coooool!

If this is any indication of things to come, we three-four young players could be earning spots  a year now for the next couple years...that’s going to push out a lot of vets organically, the rest can be done via trades to tweak the lineup and free agents once the time is right again.   

This year EP, AG, Demko, plus games for Brisbois and Sautner who have played a role in our recent resurgence (one game above five hundred last ten games), next year Hughes and hopefully OJ, maybe Brisbois sticks, maybe Sautner sticks, maybe McEneny sticks, maybe Woo, maybe Madden...and one or two surprises maybe too over the next couple years.  

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I'd argue Brackett being in charge of the scouting happened because we finally had a GM come in with the experience necessary to evaluate our scouts and make some changes.  Benning identified the right person, and let them run with it.  That's great management, regardless of the industry.

Archived