The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Rank 3 in THN Future Watch

IBatch

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

From what I understand, Benning weighs in very heavily on the 1st round pick and progressively relies more and more on Brackett and his team for the later rounds.

Having Bennings draft wired in the last two drafts we can see he’s active on picks past the first round..he’s the one who noticed Lind was still around in the second round...but I’m sure he’s also relying heavily on his scouts.  This year I’d expect more of the same, pretty hands on ... 

28 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

People are sleeping Olli, that kid is going to surprise a lot of people next year.

I hope so..if he comes in can be a solid second or even second stringer that pick will start to finally pay dividends.  It would also let out a lot of steam on the CDC, I could see the site crashing if he comes in an knocks it out of the park.  THN have been high on him since his draft year, he’s moved down a lot this year only because of his injury, otherwise  with our depleted defense it’s possible he wouldn’t even be on the list anymore (called up and stuck).   How much of an impact he will make is debatable and will be until he makes it and keeps a spot...

33 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

haha Gillis may not be the guy you want to be quoting here.

Gillis and his drafting team were absolutely terrible. Maybe he should have had more influence....

Hodgson was actually the number two ranked prospect I think by these same guys. ( heh, I think Filatov was #1).  At least Hodgson had a legit excuse (career ending health issue).  Potential is just that....potential.

30 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Having Bennings draft wired in the last two drafts we can see he’s active on picks past the first round..he’s the one who noticed Lind was still around in the second round...but I’m sure he’s also relying heavily on his scouts.  This year I’d expect more of the same, pretty hands on ... 

Yeah, I think he still weights quite heavily in on the 2nd round pick as well and just knows less and less the further the draft goes (as is the norm).

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Hodgson was actually the number two ranked prospect I think by these same guys. ( heh, I think Filatov was #1).  At least Hodgson had a legit excuse (career ending health issue).  Potential is just that....potential.

Markstrom was #1 about 9 or 10 years back if I recall.

Just now, -AJ- said:

Markstrom was #1 about 9 or 10 years back if I recall.

I think it doesn’t get said enough that for a fairly long time now, goalie development has been a source of strength going even before Gillis.  Gives us great hope in just how good Demko might become.

11 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I think it doesn’t get said enough that for a fairly long time now, goalie development has been a source of strength going even before Gillis.  Gives us great hope in just how good Demko might become.

It was honestly a nightmare until Schneider came along, really. He was the first stud young goaltender we really produced. We had a few other good ones, but they didn't last long.

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

From what I understand, Benning weighs in very heavily on the 1st round pick and progressively relies more and more on Brackett and his team for the later rounds.

Sure, but if your entire scouting team is telling him to pick one player, I doubt he says go to hell and picks someone else without at least considering it. 

46 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It was honestly a nightmare until Schneider came along, really. He was the first stud young goaltender we really produced. We had a few other good ones, but they didn't last long.

I wonder what Hirsch could have done with today's resources for mental health.

This is exactly why we need Erik Karlsson. He would have more of an impact for us than John Tavares did for the leafs. Quote me.

It's safe to say our core 5 players at this point are

Pettersson - C

Horvat - C

Boeser - RW

Hughes - LD (Provided he's as advertised)

Demko - G

Adding a RHD first line pairing guy with leadership on the backend is the perfect complement to the group. He gets to play first line with Edler and make him better, push Tanev to second line with Hughes, which makes both of them better, provides leadership for our new captain Bo, making him better, as well as dishing mad passes to Pettersson and Boeser, making them better.

With a defensive squad of 

Edler - Karlsson

Hughes - Tanev

I think its very possible both Boeser and Pettersson score 40 goals as early as next season.

We need to be all in on Karlsson.

3 minutes ago, Mr.53 said:

This is exactly why we need Erik Karlsson. He would have more of an impact for us than John Tavares did for the leafs. Quote me.

It's safe to say our core 5 players at this point are

Pettersson - C

Horvat - C

Boeser - RW

Hughes - LD (Provided he's as advertised)

Demko - G

Adding a RHD first line pairing guy with leadership on the backend is the perfect complement to the group. He gets to play first line with Edler and make him better, push Tanev to second line with Hughes, which makes both of them better, provides leadership for our new captain Bo, making him better, as well as dishing mad passes to Pettersson and Boeser, making them better.

With a defensive squad of 

Edler - Karlsson

Hughes - Tanev

I think its very possible both Boeser and Pettersson score 40 goals as early as next season.

We need to be all in on Karlsson.

That is as good a rosterbating brojob as they come.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I'd argue Brackett being in charge of the scouting happened because we finally had a GM come in with the experience necessary to evaluate our scouts and make some changes.  Benning identified the right person, and let them run with it.  That's great management, regardless of the industry.

That’s the way I see it too. I think the best piece of “scouting” Benning has done in Vancouver was identifying Brackett and promoting to his current position. I give Judd most of the credit for our “hits” at the draft table, especially those coming on day 2, but ultimately Benning deserves credit for shuffling the decks in the scouting department and putting a guy in charge who has brought us a lot of success at the draft.

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Some would argue they mismanaged him though...

Archived