The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The UCP Alberta Government - Threatens to Turn off Oil Taps

DonLever

11 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Canadian and Venezuelan crude has always been cheaper than sweet crude, due to greater refining costs. The overall fluctuations of price matches that of the overall oil industry but doesn't change the fact that ours is consistently 20-25% cheaper due to the refining costs angle. 

Not poor planning, but lack of money. They arn't expecting hand-outs, neither am I. I am not arguing for giving oil for free to the world. I am simply arguing against being Mary Antoinette style hypocritical billionaires who oppose higher tax rate, aka top 1% in consuming oil per capita, while wanting to stop its access to others. Be the change you want to see in the world, if you want the world to take you seriously. 

There's a reason why Vancouverites's reputation in rest of Canada, nevermind rest of the world, is that of ' those plastic canoe riding hippie fools who will protest against oil to further screw over people who can barely afford oil for transportation and don't even begin to buy plastic canoes'. We are the laughing stock of rest of the world due to this hypocrisy of ours. 

OK. 

Like I said before.   It'll take a generation to significant changes to happen. The new generation (20+ year olds aka millennials) are wanting this change.  You can see it with Uber, more bike lanes, car2go, electric cars, etc.  Plus we need to build the infrastructure to support the green initiatives. 

Your argument is how things never get changed.  It starts by grassroots programs.   I'm sure Vancouver was a top bad recycling city at one point too.  Now it's ingrained in our society to recycle. Change doesn't happen overnight. 

Yes we can all do our part for that change.  I've taken up bicycling to work (even though I'm getting white hairs :unsure:).  Had one car for the longest time (now two).  When possible, hope to get an electric hybrid for regular commutes around town and a larger car for vacation trips.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Hmmmm....this ranking seems to be at odds with Vancouver being a "laughingstock"....

https://www.archdaily.com/914233/these-are-the-20-most-livable-cities-in-the-world-in-2019

Yeah in the probably 30-40 countries I have visited in my lifetime I cant once say someone told me the place I am from is a laughingstock...  Pretty fu*king ridiculous but then again anons on a forum...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, canuckistani said:

And its fully within my rights to elect a government that will nix BC and other provincial rights into nothing-ness at the benefit of CANADIAN rights. 

yeah OK. Its good to have goals. 

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

OK. 

Like I said before.   It'll take a generation to significant changes to happen. The new generation (20+ year olds aka millennials) are wanting this change.  You can see it with Uber, more bike lanes, car2go, electric cars, etc.  Plus we need to build the infrastructure to support the green initiatives. 

Your argument is how things never get changed.  It starts by grassroots programs.   I'm sure Vancouver was a top bad recycling city at one point too.  Now it's ingrained in our society to recycle. Change doesn't happen overnight. 

Yes we can all do our part for that change.  I've taken up bicycling to work (even though I'm getting white hairs :unsure:).  Had one car for the longest time (now two).  When possible, hope to get an electric hybrid for regular commutes around town and a larger car for vacation trips.

My argument isn't that things never get changed. My argument is simply that BEFORE the said change is in place, the greatest users and beneficiaries of a 'dirty resource' shouldn't work on how to curtail its access and distribution to rest of the world, most of whom are less culpable and less guilty of using this said dirty resource, in the name of 'environmentalism'. To do what we are doing right now, is called hypocrisy, nothing more. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

hai guyz

Kenney named his cabinet today

just sayin

Yeah I saw that. I was prepared to make a snarky remark about 13 Calgarians and only one Edmontonian, but apparently he was the only UPC MLA elected.

Another reason to hate Calgary more than Edmonton....B)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Hmmmm....this ranking seems to be at odds with Vancouver being a "laughingstock"....

https://www.archdaily.com/914233/these-are-the-20-most-livable-cities-in-the-world-in-2019

most livable city in the world cannot be a laughing stock of idiotic hypocrisies, how exactly ?  The correlation or causation you are implying, does not exist. We can be the nicest place in the world to live in terms of the metrics measured and still be a pile of idiots or a pile of angry road-ragers. Last time i checked, these parameters are *not* part of the 'livable city index'. 

2 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

My argument isn't that things never get changed. My argument is simply that BEFORE the said change is in place, the greatest users and beneficiaries of a 'dirty resource' shouldn't work on how to curtail its access and distribution to rest of the world, most of whom are less culpable and less guilty of using this said dirty resource, in the name of 'environmentalism'. To do what we are doing right now, is called hypocrisy, nothing more. 

OK.   Here's the problem.  Canada will likely never get to using less of the "dirty resources".  We will likely need it to improve our our infrastructure (roads, construction, etc) as we have a far greater land area to deal with.  

5 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

most livable city in the world cannot be a laughing stock of idiotic hypocrisies, how exactly ?  The correlation or causation you are implying, does not exist. We can be the nicest place in the world to live in terms of the metrics measured and still be a pile of idiots or a pile of angry road-ragers. Last time i checked, these parameters are *not* part of the 'livable city index'. 

Sure. Anything is possible, however the only opinion of Vancouver being a laughingstock seems to be coming from a condescending, entitled prick, who does nothing but belittle any argument that doesn't support his narrative.

For all your blathering about your STEM background, you sure seem to rely heavily on anecdotal evidence to support your claims. But hey, Canada is a country of second chances, so if you have any verifiable evidence to back up your position, have at it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, BPA said:

OK.   Here's the problem.  Canada will likely never get to using less of the "dirty resources".  We will likely need it to improve our our infrastructure (roads, construction, etc) as we have a far greater land area to deal with.  

Then stop protesting its usage for people who use it less than us. The more guilty (we) don't get to act sanctimonious over the same things others are less guilty of. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Then stop protesting its usage for people who use it less than us. The more guilty (we) don't get to act sanctimonious over the same things others are less guilty of. 

China uses nearly 4X the oil we do, how is it that they use less than us again? 

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Sure. Anything is possible, however the only opinion of Vancouver being a laughingstock seems to be coming from a condescending, entitled prick, who does nothing but belittle any argument that doesn't support his narrative.

For all your blathering about your STEM background, you sure seem to rely heavily on anecdotal evidence to support your claims. But hey, Canada is a country of second chances, so if you have any verifiable evidence to back up your position, have at it.

actually, i've cited more facts pertaining to my 'opinions' than almost anyone else on this thread. it is a fact that Vancouverites are amongst the top 10% of users of this dirty resource and i am being VERY VERY generous with the number ( as my stats showed, we are, in world averages, closer to being top 1%). Its also a fact that when the greatest doers of wrong/users of a dirty resource/guiltier than rest of the flock sermonize about the perils of the acts they are engaging in, its called hypocrisy. Yes, i know, nobody likes their hypocrisy being demonstrated.  However, the facts speak for themselves.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

China uses nearly 4X the oil we do, how is it that they use less than us again? 

PER CAPITA. If everyone is equal, then countries with 10x the population should have 10x the gross usage. When a country that is 50x our population uses 4x the amount, it tells us that we are far greater polluters on average than they are. yet we wanna pretend we are doing it for the environment. Welcome to hypocrisy-ville. Population: lower mainland. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, canuckistani said:

actually, i've cited more facts pertaining to my 'opinions' than almost anyone else on this thread. it is a fact that Vancouverites are amongst the top 10% of users of this dirty resource and i am being VERY VERY generous with the number ( as my stats showed, we are, in world averages, closer to being top 1%). Its also a fact that when the greatest doers of wrong/users of a dirty resource/guiltier than rest of the flock sermonize about the perils of the acts they are engaging in, its called hypocrisy. Yes, i know, nobody likes their hypocrisy being demonstrated.  However, the facts speak for themselves.

you are using per capita numbers, which are essentially useless for comparing global oil consumption.

12 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah I saw that. I was prepared to make a snarky remark about 13 Calgarians and only one Edmontonian, but apparently he was the only UPC MLA elected.

Another reason to hate Calgary more than Edmonton....B)

Have you been to Edmonton?

The only good thing go come out of there is ME!  ::D 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1