The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We should all just take a moment of silence in respect for...

Gator

The Oiler fans. Man I hate the Oilers and I hope they fail, but I can't help but feel bad for their fans.

RNH 

Hall

Yakupov

After they got those 3 guys they were destined to go all the way in a few years... nope, they finished in the basement year after year. Became a laughing stock of not just our division, but the NHL.  Then came the McDavid draft, remember? The year we over achieved and made the playoffs only to lose to Ferlund and those Lames! As if that wasn't bad enough, remember the Oilers gold card being flipped over? That moment where every Canuck fan and most NHL fans got sick to their stomach. Man that was some terrible times. 

They made the playoffs the first year and looked destined for a very bright future. They got 2 solid players in McDavid and Draisitl, and failed to make the playoffs the past 2 years, and currently have a worse record than our rebuilding Canucks squad. Considering they have almost a 3rd of their cap space toed up to those 2 players how will they afford to build a winner if they could even build a playoff team with their rookie deals? Too funny hahaha. I do feel bad for them, I couldn't imagine going through the rollercoaster of emotions that their die hard fans have gone through.

I wonder if Pettersson will cost us McDavid money. I don't think spending that $ on any player is worth it tbh, it's a 23 man team you need to build, it's not basketball

2 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

The Oiler fans. Man I hate the Oilers and I hope they fail, but I can't help but feel bad for their fans.

RNH 

Hall

Yakupov

After they got those 3 guys they were destined to go all the way in a few years... nope, they finished in the basement year after year. Became a laughing stock of not just our division, but the NHL.  Then came the McDavid draft, remember? The year we over achieved and made the playoffs only to lose to Ferlund and those Lames! As if that wasn't bad enough, remember the Oilers gold card being flipped over? That moment where every Canuck fan and most NHL fans got sick to their stomach. Man that was some terrible times. 

They made the playoffs the first year and looked destined for a very bright future. They got 2 solid players in McDavid and Draisitl, and failed to make the playoffs the past 2 years, and currently have a worse record than our rebuilding Canucks squad. Considering they have almost a 3rd of their cap space toed up to those 2 players how will they afford to build a winner if they could even build a playoff team with their rookie deals? Too funny hahaha. I do feel bad for them, I couldn't imagine going through the rollercoaster of emotions that their die hard fans have gone through.

I wonder if Pettersson will cost us McDavid money. I don't think spending that $ on any player is worth it tbh, it's a 23 man team you need to build, it's not basketball

petersson will get 10-12m a yr when his elc expires  price of elite

If you feel bad for Oiler fans, my advice to you is as follows:  Don’t.

1) Most Edmontonians, and most fans of Edmonton based sports, never felt bad during the 80’s when the Oilers and Eskimos laid constant beatings on the Canucks and Lions.

2) In 2011, Edmontonians and Calgarians could be found in bars in their cities cheering on Boston (some of which even wore Bruins jerseys at that time) when the Bruins played the Canucks during those finals.  While most good folks in Vancouver cheered on Calgary and Edmonton when those teams reached the Stanley Cup finals back in 2004 and 2006 respectively, those Albertan cities did NOT show us the same respect in 2011.  

3) In 2011 when a few idiots in Vancouver rioted, Albertans did NOT defend us.  Albertans and Torontonians labeled the entire city as “hooligans”.....and that there was something wrong with the people in Vancouver.  

4) In 2012 when I lived in Lethbridge Alberta, a good portion of “960 The Fan” (radio show) was dedicated towards bashing British Columbians, the city of Vancouver, the Canucks, Kesler, Bieksa, and “the sisters.”

As an individual, you have the right to feel sympathy for whomever or whatever you choose.  My only advice to you (and to anyone reading this) is to please take the above into consideration before you’re entirely sure if you want to “feel bad” for anything related to Edmonton, Calgary, or Toronto.  

My personal choice is as follows:  Outside of Alberta and Toronto, I am proud to be Canadian and am proud to help my brothers and sisters in time of need.  For Alberta and GTA however, I will not show them the same courtesy ever again in my life.  Not now. Not ever.

1 hour ago, Brock Botanen said:

RNH 

Hall

Yakupov

Crack head

Pettersson will likely cost us McDavid money.....BUT, I do believe that we have a small chance of getting EP to agree to a hometown discount if the following conditions are met:

1) We don’t sign any UFA’s to a 10+ million dollar deal.  Stay away from guys like Panarin and Karlsson.  If you pay those guys big money to come here, then the rest of our upcoming RFA core (Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes) will want to be paid at a premium as well.

2) Boeser demonstrates leadership by taking a hometown discount.  As to what this “discount” would entail, I’m not sure.  However - I think of Boeser shows leadership here and demonstrates that he cares more about building a winner than making money, I think this could pave the way.  Guys like Mark Schiefele and Victor Hedman are examples of players that took pretty big discounts. 

My hope is is that we can get guys like Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes to sign between 8-8.8 million AAV.   It’s likely not a realistic goal, but you never know.

When teams like Chicago and LA won multiple cups between 2010-2015, their core players had relatively low AAV’s.

3 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Pettersson will likely cost us McDavid money.....BUT, I do believe that we have a small chance of getting EP to agree to a hometown discount if the following conditions are met:

1) We don’t sign any UFA’s to a 10+ million dollar deal.  Stay away from guys like Panarin and Karlsson.  If you pay those guys big money to come here, then the rest of our upcoming RFA core (Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes) will want to be paid at a premium as well.

2) Boeser demonstrates leadership by taking a hometown discount.  As to what this “discount” would entail, I’m not sure.  However - I think of Boeser shows leadership here and demonstrates that he cares more about building a winner than making money, I think this could pave the way.  Guys like Mark Schiefele and Victor Hedman are examples of players that took pretty big discounts. 

My hope is is that we can get guys like Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes to sign between 8-8.8 million AAV.   It’s likely not a realistic goal, but you never know.

When teams like Chicago and LA won multiple cups between 2010-2015, their core players had relatively low AAV’s.

I dont think you understand what hometown discount means.

I feel sorry for Edmonton fans because they live in Edmonton.  That place is Hell, I lived there for seven years.

Calgary is a S-hole and it blows Edmonton away in every way other than draft lottery luck. 

Neither hold a candle to Vancouver.

I feel sorry for the league that their best player plays in Edmonton.

5 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

RNH 

Hall

Yakupov

Jeez, I hope you haven't just jinxed us.  We shouldn't be laughing at them.  Yes, our future looks bright, just like it did for the Oilers.  However, it won't happen magically, still of lot of work to be done.  Our rebuild is far from done, and could easily went the same way as the Oilers.  I wouldn't laugh too soon.   We still have a ton of holes on the backend...just like the Oilers had all these years.  We might be looking better in net, but still very unproven.  

And you can bank on it.  If Pettersson has another 1PPG or + season, you're like at Jack Eichel money...MINIMUM.

5 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

This is demonstrably false. In fact McDavid is underpaid for the value he brings to the organization. Petey will likely get paid McDavid money, and he will more than hit the benchmarks required to validate that salary because he is a superstar who will be in his prime. The same cannot be said for quite a few players on our roster, and neither Edmonton's. Just because one player gets paid 12.5M doesn't mean you cannot put a good team around them. Both Crosby and Malkin had cap hits taking up similar % of the cap and managed to win. The same goes for Chara's cap hit which also took up a significant %.

History tells us that scoring prime for a player is between 22-28. Pettersson will easily outperform what he gets paid.

5 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

If you feel bad for Oiler fans, my advice to you is as follows:  Don’t.

1) Most Edmontonians, and most fans of Edmonton based sports, never felt bad during the 80’s when the Oilers and Eskimos laid constant beatings on the Canucks and Lions.

2) In 2011, Edmontonians and Calgarians could be found in bars in their cities cheering on Boston (some of which even wore Bruins jerseys at that time) when the Bruins played the Canucks during those finals.  While most good folks in Vancouver cheered on Calgary and Edmonton when those teams reached the Stanley Cup finals back in 2004 and 2006 respectively, those Albertan cities did NOT show us the same respect in 2011.  

3) In 2011 when a few idiots in Vancouver rioted, Albertans did NOT defend us.  Albertans and Torontonians labeled the entire city as “hooligans”.....and that there was something wrong with the people in Vancouver.  

4) In 2012 when I lived in Lethbridge Alberta, a good portion of “960 The Fan” (radio show) was dedicated towards bashing British Columbians, the city of Vancouver, the Canucks, Kesler, Bieksa, and “the sisters.”

As an individual, you have the right to feel sympathy for whomever or whatever you choose.  My only advice to you (and to anyone reading this) is to please take the above into consideration before you’re entirely sure if you want to “feel bad” for anything related to Edmonton, Calgary, or Toronto.  

My personal choice is as follows:  Outside of Alberta and Toronto, I am proud to be Canadian and am proud to help my brothers and sisters in time of need.  For Alberta and GTA however, I will not show them the same courtesy ever again in my life.  Not now. Not ever.

As somebody who has lived in Edmonton the majority of my life, this is accurate. Edmonton fans really are $&!# hockey fans. Great team fans, devoted to their team undyingly (to a sad point), but horrible hockey fans. They were an absolute cancer in 2011. They still think riot jokes are hilarious. 

6 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

RNH 

Hall

Yakupov

I don't feel bad for them. After all, they have 5 cups more than us and the dynasty to show for with players like Gretzky, Messier, Coffey. What do we have to show for? 0-3 record in the cup finals? I'd feel bad for ourselves rather than them if anything.

It's true they have become a laughingstock of the league but they could turn things around with two centrepieces in Draisaitl and McDavid.

Our future does look a bit more bright compared to them but we only have like 1 point edge over them in the standings. Hardly in a position to laugh at others...

Archived