The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Drafting since 2003

DirtyYerocmai

Hey pals,

Not sure how many of you are over on the Athletic but a great story came up from Scott Wheeler on the best and worst teams in relation to drafting since 2003. He took 16 years of data which includes more than 3500 players from more than 400 organizations to measure teams success. Vegas was not included... It was broken down to overall 16 years and into 3 groups (03-08, 09-13 and 14-18)

Top 5 teams were in order - Boston, Chicago, Washington, Pittsburgh and Anaheim. 

Number 30 - our Vancouver Canucks

The article goes into the most successful feeder leagues, teams as well as best and worst draft years.

Another note is between 2003-2010 only 6 teams have had a draft class produce zero points - Canucks being the only with two - 2007 and 2010.

I'm going to be honest I am not really sure what to add and the discussion on this but its nice to see that number changing with our recent draft choices - Horvat, Boeser, Petterson.... But we can really see why this team is in the position it is now due to our poor drafting over the years..

Discuss?

PS - I just saw I have been a member since 2003. This kinda works out.... damn where has the time gone..

Its well known league wide that the Canucks scouting and drafting has and had been horrendous. 

There's a reason the Bruins are where they are compared to the Canucks, we should be a lot further a long than we are and we aren't. 

Thankfully it looks like things are slowly slowly slowly changing. 

it's 100% relevant to where the Canucks are now.  They had to build something from nothing.  Now, people can disagree with JB's approach to rebuilding, but I see something eerily similar to what happened in BOS while JB was there.  They never went full on get-all-the-draft-picks-that-we-can and just continued to draft well and surround the young players with quality vets.  

20 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

it's 100% relevant to where the Canucks are now.  They had to build something from nothing.  Now, people can disagree with JB's approach to rebuilding, but I see something eerily similar to what happened in BOS while JB was there.  They never went full on get-all-the-draft-picks-that-we-can and just continued to draft well and surround the young players with quality vets.  

Agreed, whether you like od dislike some of the moves Benning has made, he has led us to a brighter future. People argue he hasn't gathered enough draft picks but who were you going to trade? We've had nothing but NTC's and NMCs hampering us for the last 7-8 years.

Yes we know we have stunk at the Draft for years and years and some of the same old scouts are with the team to this day(R.Dolorme) comes to mind.

If you continue to stink at drafting first you would get some new scouts because the ones you have at not good at their jobs, but such was not the case.

Mr. Benning and company have shown what a difference it can make to building a WINNING environment and if we ever get a bit of luck at the LOTTO DRAFT we will benefit from this even more.

The Canucks drafting over the years has been awful and they have traded away far too many draft picks, that is no secret. They also weren't picking early for much of the worst sections of that chart. Only two top 10 picks from 03-13, and both of those were at 10, and one died and the other had health problems. Many of the other picks in that range were late. Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Washington all had very high end first overalls in that time frame. Boston had Kessel at 5 and Anaheim had Ryan at 2 (lol). Those two really stick out as being good drafting teams, even if most of Anaheim's points come from Getzlaf and Perry.

Gotta have the picks, gotta draft well, and it certainly helps a great deal to have several top 5 picks in good drafts. The Canucks are starting to trend up in the most recent time frame, but then again we also have Virtanen and Juolevi who have yet to prove if they were quality picks at their position.

23 minutes ago, xereau said:

Notice that a specific date had to be employed in order to get this result.  Start later, we aren't last.  Start sooner, we aren't last.  Speaks volumes about the motives of whoever came up with this garbage.

yah why 2003?

I mean it's kind of arbitrary anyways, since Toronto and Calgary are close to the bottom, but look at them now.. and the turnover in players and staff in 16 years is huge.. maybe last 5 to 10 years is a more reasonable sample? 

1 hour ago, xereau said:

Benning - Gillis - Nonis - Burke > 0

Benning has taken this team out of the dumpster in terms of drafting.

yeah i don't think there's any new knowledge here about the Canucks drafting. Benning is far and above anyone we've had in that department. 

43 minutes ago, xereau said:

Notice that a specific date had to be employed in order to get this result.  Start later, we aren't last.  Start sooner, we aren't last.  Speaks volumes about the motives of whoever came up with this garbage.

It's 15 years

Theres not many players left in the league that were drafted before 2003.

This is actually the perfect date for this kind of research.

I don't think that the research is trying to predict the future but more to learn from mistakes made

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah i don't think there's any new knowledge here about the Canucks drafting. Benning is far and above anyone we've had in that department. 

Its just muckraking.  And picking at scabs.  About all Vancouver media is good for.

Archived