The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Drafting since 2003

DirtyYerocmai

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

2010 I can understand, because we were gearing up for a cup run, didnt have a pick until the 4th round. 2007 was really bad scouting though, look at Taylor Ellington's draft year stats compared to PK Subban's, just terrible.   

Yeah, just look at all these top 5 drafting teams named in the OP that passed on Subban in 2007: Boston in the 1st and 2nd rnds (Hamill and Cross), Chicago picked Kane in the 1st and then in the 2nd rnd they selected Bill Sweatt, Washington got Alzner (not too bad) and Godfrey, Pittsburgh went with Esposito, and Anaheim selected MacMillan and Tangradi (just before Subban).

Just terrible.

regards,  G.

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

2007 was really bad scouting though, look at Taylor Ellington's draft year stats compared to PK Subban's, just terrible.   

Sam Gagner.:P

And the Habs had two OTHER picks before him that draft year that turned out to be solid NHLers.  Heck, they even drafted Yannic Weber in the third round that same draft year.  Pretty impressive draft for the Habs (especially when you consider they didn’t draft in the top ten in 2007.

At least Gillis conceded that they weren't good at drafting and traded those picks away to build our cup run in 2011 (totally worth it, wouldn't trade the experience for a 1st overall haha). 

/Devil's Advocate 

1 hour ago, Glug Datt said:

yah why 2003?

I mean it's kind of arbitrary anyways, since Toronto and Calgary are close to the bottom, but look at them now.. and the turnover in players and staff in 16 years is huge.. maybe last 5 to 10 years is a more reasonable sample? 

Also Winnipeg. 

We ruled for quite a while. Seems like a long time ago but when you’re a top 5 team league wide for 7 or 8 years it will have an effect on your prospect pool. 

All good. Let’s keep it going boys. Nucks fans are here to stay. 

2 hours ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

Here is the graph that is being referred to by OP:

ow1o86yakan21.png

If you go back just a few years and add the Sedins our position changes quite a bit I bet.  It’s not surprising to see us where we are, (now that I understand that this isn’t all-time ha ha) ... three or four years ago we were second  most winningest teams over a fifteen year period, up there with SJ.  My bet is if you move the needle a bit out stock would change significantly, after all adding 2500 or so games played by two players would basically double it.   

2 hours ago, xereau said:

Notice that a specific date had to be employed in order to get this result.  Start later, we aren't last.  Start sooner, we aren't last.  Speaks volumes about the motives of whoever came up with this garbage.

Thanks, I saw that too, as mentioned above...the Sedins would double games played almost.  

But but but it’s all Gillis’s fault. Lol. 

Drafting has been horrible the game changer for Vancouver has been the promotion of Judd Bracket they better hold onto him or it’ll be back to to “off the board” picks and disappointment.. 

On 3/21/2019 at 5:26 AM, DirtyYerocmai said:

Hey pals,

Not sure how many of you are over on the Athletic but a great story came up from Scott Wheeler on the best and worst teams in relation to drafting since 2003. He took 16 years of data which includes more than 3500 players from more than 400 organizations to measure teams success. Vegas was not included... It was broken down to overall 16 years and into 3 groups (03-08, 09-13 and 14-18)

Top 5 teams were in order - Boston, Chicago, Washington, Pittsburgh and Anaheim. 

Number 30 - our Vancouver Canucks

The article goes into the most successful feeder leagues, teams as well as best and worst draft years.

Another note is between 2003-2010 only 6 teams have had a draft class produce zero points - Canucks being the only with two - 2007 and 2010.

I'm going to be honest I am not really sure what to add and the discussion on this but its nice to see that number changing with our recent draft choices - Horvat, Boeser, Petterson.... But we can really see why this team is in the position it is now due to our poor drafting over the years..

Discuss?

PS - I just saw I have been a member since 2003. This kinda works out.... damn where has the time gone..

There’s a reason why we defeated the Kings and Sharks in 2010 and 2011 respectively, while jobbing to them in 2012 and 2013.

There’s a reason why our semi-conference contemporaries from 2011 (Boston, Tampa, San Jose) are all fielding competitive teams at current while we fell off a cliff in 2014.  

There’s a reason why Gillis has never been employed post 2013.  

Drafting helps.

Unfortunately, guys like JD Burke and “The Athletic” enjoy criticising the Canucks at every turn since it boosts their ratings and draws attention to them, and so I’m not surprised that they invested the necessary man hours to conduct this study.

On 3/21/2019 at 8:32 AM, VancouverHabitant said:

At least Gillis conceded that they weren't good at drafting and traded those picks away to build our cup run in 2011 (totally worth it, wouldn't trade the experience for a 1st overall haha). 

/Devil's Advocate 

The toilet bowl Canuck fans on Hockeysfuture give Mike Gillis a complete free pass for his terrible drafting from 2008-2013, and yet rip on Benning for Benning’s Pro Scouting (which is essentially, just as bad as Gillis’ drafting).

Go figure.

Archived