The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Ottawa Senators at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 20, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, DarkGhost said:

I love how we almost crap the bed against the worst team in the league...and yet people think we stand a chance even if by some miracle we make it into the playoffs. 

Us in the playoffs just means watching our kids get destroyed and crushed into bits. 

Pettersson gets decked once every 10 games and that is nothing compared to what’s coming in the playoffs. Anyone actually believe half our team will last through even one series...I’ve got news for you...

Please bring back the minus.

6 hours ago, JamesB said:

I was at the game tonight. I have attended 4 games this year and in two of those games the Canucks scored 7 goals!

Anyway, this game was weird. Here are my thoughts.

1. As of the 6 minute mark of the third period the Canucks had been completely dominant. I was going to say that the Canucks cannot be this good and Ottawa cannot be this bad. But things turned around quickly. Then, in a powerplay the team gave up a sloppy 2-on-1. Ottawa did not score but it was close. Shorly after that Ottawa scored again, then got another great chance and we know the rest. Ottawa got the game to 5-4 before Horvat put the game away with his second goal.

2. It was kind of like the Canucks were saying -- isn't the game over yet? And it looked like some of the guys were starting to focus on trying to get on the scoreboard instead of stick with solid D. I was very surprised to hear Green call the game a "great game". The third period collapse against the worst team in the league is not "great". But Green is trying to keep the team on a roll and is kind of defensive with the media right now.

3. Erkisson got 4 points. I have watched hockey for a long time and never seen a player do less to get 4 pts (or even 3 pts). His empty net goal did not even require skating. The puck landed in front of him and he shot it down the ice. And his three assists were all pretty soft secondary assists. . That said, he was solid defensively, as he always is. Horvat was great tonight and Horvat and Pearson are showing some chemistry. With Eriksson playing with them they can play shutdown and put points on the board.

4. EP's 2 points were also fairly soft second assists, but it is great to see him get back on a point-a-game pace as he now has 63 points in 63 games.

5. Virtanen scored a really nice goal, using his speed and a good shot. He needs to make that play more often, though.

6. Not many comments about Edler. He had a great game. Actually, Edler and Biega are doing very well as the top pairing. Biega has to be surprising a lot of people. And I continue to like Luke Schenn's game. Green is gradually giving him more ice time -- up to 19 minutes tonight -- more than Guddy was getting most nights before he was traded.

Nice write up James. 

The thing that stands out to me us.... you should go more often since we score 7 on 50% of your visits. 

Besides that thought Virtanen played a fabulous game, just like Bo did really well...

Finally Pearson looked like the player he was with Kings. If we ever get good enough for him ‘only’ to be a third line winger, we will be ready to contend. Really likes his game.....

43 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Should have been a 5 minute major. IMO, if Virtanen didn't get away with the blatant boarding of Zack Smith,  it would've been a 5 minute major. 

Though I doubt the boarding on Sautner would've happened had tempers didn't flare

4 minutes ago, Moe Knows said:

I'm so glad we won...but...a team that has a 5 goal lead after 2 periods and ends up in danger of losing is certainly NOT a playoff team and has a long way to go.

No, it isn't a playoff team. If they make it to playoffs they will likely go out in 4 straight. Many on here think that is worth dropping down the Draft position. I don't agree. That said the team winning has been done mostly by their youth which I don't have a problem with. IMHO this will be a playoff team next year I wanted one more Draft to add a likely two more high picks. 

Benning has to shed a couple more vets and draft well in July to move the club forward. He has been doing a great job and will continue to do so. 

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

No, it isn't a playoff team. If they make it to playoffs they will likely go out in 4 straight. Many on here think that is worth dropping down the Draft position. I don't agree. That said the team winning has been done mostly by their youth which I don't have a problem with. IMHO this will be a playoff team next year I wanted one more Draft to add a likely two more high picks. 

Benning has to shed a couple more vets and draft well in July to move the club forward. He has been doing a great job and will continue to do so. 

People will still think it means something if we win the most pathetic turtle derby ever. Thing is, when Quinn Hughes hits the ice it will likely give us quite a boost, which could give us some real momentum if we make the playoffs. Still, if real turtles were in this turtle derby, they would smoke most of these NHL teams and be rock stars.

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

100 percent. We aren't close to ready for playoffs. That said, we are no longer bottom feeders. The days of tanking for bottom picks are done so may as well start building towards the playoffs. I suspect a big UFA signing this year and some dropping of dead weight. EK, Myers, Panarin will be targeted this July. 

11 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

But that doesn't even tell the whole story. He has played EVERY SINGLE game this season, no days off, plus he is playing against the top players in the league every single game PLUS he has taken over leadership responsibilities. Horvat is truly an awesome player. I think overall Horvat is our MVP this year, even more so than Pettersson, for everything he has done. Last year Henrik Sedin took a lot of the hard minutes but this year it has been all Horvat. Guy is rock solid.

Henrik had easy min last .... pp and all offensive face offs. Bo and Sutter had all the hard min. But having said that if Markstrum hadn't  learned rebounds are bad, we wouldnt  be in a playoff race .....sort of.

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Great Job? Maybe ok job........Islanders are more like a great job

Archived