The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Ottawa Senators at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 20, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Was at the game. Amazed the Canucks had a 5-0 lead at one point. Wow, OTT looked bad. But then the Canucks went to sleep and the Sens woke up. Always nice to see them win games. As for the Draft, my guess is they'll pick around #12-#15. (yawn)

Never realized this before, but there are several Canucks players who have had a career year: 

Horvat - 27g and 57pts. He's 2 assists shy of tying his assist record.

Boeser - 28a. He's 5 goals and 3 points shy of tying his goals and points record.

Roussel - 22a and 31pts.

Goldobin - 20a and 27pts. He's 1 goal shy of tying his goals record.

Virtanen - 14g, 10a and 24pts. (surpassed all)

Biega - 2g, 12a and 14pts. (surpassed all)

Leivo - 9g and 16pts. He's 1 assist shy of tying his assists record.

Motte - 9g, 7a and 16pts. (surpassed all)

Not to mention the incredible year Pettersson is having. Markstrom has been great and is now a true #1. Gaudette's future is also looking bright.

Also Edler, it’s a contract year so maybe that’s playing into it, but he’s playing better than he has in years...and Markstroms destroying his previous wins total ...

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

He's been on Ignore for a long time.

He starts threads that trap posters into replying.

Posters quote and answer him.

He's all over CDC and it is always crap designed to stir us up.

There seems to be no way to stop it; he's got a free pass.

I barely see his vitriol anymore when on ignore.

It was nice to see those guys smiling again. Poor AN got lit up. 

I was not surprised, in a bad way, when another skinny Canucks rookie got wrecked and there was no response. A midget to boot, was the guy who wrecked Sautner. He then challenged one of our own midgets, but Stetch didn’t want to fight. Keep chasing those 2 points, TG. 

28 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

It was nice to see those guys smiling again. Poor AN got lit up. 

I was not surprised, in a bad way, when another skinny Canucks rookie got wrecked and there was no response. A midget to boot, was the guy who wrecked Sautner. He then challenged one of our own midgets, but Stetch didn’t want to fight. Keep chasing those 2 points, TG. 

How would you like Ferland and Maroon to join the team in the offseason?

6 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Firkland, Lowry and Edmundson, but not Maroon, I think he’s done, or close to being done. 

CDC seem to always wait until after a physical player peaks to express any interest in their services here, but I’ve noticed a lot more interest in acquiring toughness lately.

IMO, JB should just get a stall out in the halls where fans like me can just kick him in the ass for not drafting MT when he was right there. Now, fans can only dream of a MT/Horvat/Boeser line.

When 5 foot Pageau is gooining you out, you know your team has serious issues. 

13 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

Spook, the belief that Gudbranson was the stopper of all dirty plays was a fallacy. There were more instances of him not stepping up and people defending why he didn't than there were times that he did step up.

I agree, we do need a physical stay at home D. But, he can't be making $4m and be such a significant net negative in every aspect. Andrew Alberts was a better version of Gudbranson making pennies as a depth D. Really, what we need is Nikita to come back. That guy was damn good. 

Don’t know how good a fighter Alberts were, but don’t think he or Rome ( who Btw I never thought got enough credit here) for that matter could handle anyone like Guddy could. 

As I said he didn’t work out here. Was 4 mill for what he brough a lot? Yes probably, but being a bottom feeder mostly means you pay way over the odds for yout desired players. 

But yes Nikata back would be welcomed as well as a bit of beef in the forward lines as well, would be welcomed. 

1 hour ago, Tom Sestito said:

So wait, we only played a third of our games against teams in the top third of the league?!?!?!?!

Oh wait, that makes perfect sense and averages out properly.

And yes Biega and Schenn are upgrades on Gudbranson even though they themselves are nothing more than #6-9 D.

The general notion is during the 12 games since Gudbranson left......the majority of them were against teams who were below us in the standings and below us in goals for. Stars, Rangers, Devils, Oilers, Coyotes twice, and the Ducks. Obviously, our GAA is going to be lower in that span when half of the games they played are teams who can barely score 2 goals a game.

7 hours ago, riffraff said:

I thought the lack of response to the sautner hit was sad.  He could have been really hurt.  The game was 3-0.  I don’t care that there was a delayed penalty on the play.

but this topic has been bounced around here ad nauseam

Yes and I totally agree...100%.

i can accept and possibly understand why there was no response in games, where they didn’t see the hit, it was a close game or both, but at 3-0 they should have nailed the prick to the wall or hung him next to the Sedin jerseys from the rafters....

it was for all to see, that when the tough got going they didn’t have the stomach for it..... Stech and think Motte (not sure) was challanged and half the bench was being face washed and zero response. 

It will be a tough leaning process ince they reach the play offs. 

51 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Would rather have Simmonds. 

Probably cheaper and will sign on a lesser term than Ferland.

3yrs at 4M for Simmonds or 6yrs at 5M+ for Ferland?

32 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yes and I totally agree...100%.

i can accept and possibly understand why there was no response in games, where they didn’t see the hit, it was a close game or both, but at 3-0 they should have nailed the prick to the wall or hung him next to the Sedin jerseys from the rafters....

it was for all to see, that when the tough got going they didn’t have the stomach for it..... Stech and think Motte (not sure) was challanged and half the bench was being face washed and zero response. 

It will be a tough leaning process ince they reach the play offs. 

Green would have either stapled their behinds to the bench or sat them out the very next game!

Entertaining yet frustrating.

Looks like those gifted victories to USA market teams during some of our road swings may really haunt the Nucks' final push. The consolation is we are way too soft for the main event anyway.

Even the Sens are taking liberties at the Rog. Those cross checks to Pettey away from the play and that boarding deserved responses. The irony is we let the Sens back in the game anyway by sitting back like whipped dogs.

8 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

We're the worst team in the league combined over the past four seasons.

I don't think us going on a losing streak is going to be a big difference in the broad spectrum :)

Are they awarding the Stanley Cup for the best record over the last four years now?:o

The team with the worst record over the past two years is Buffalo past 3 years is Buffalo, over the past five years it’s Buffalo, over the past six years it’s Buffalo, over the past seven years it’s Buffalo, over the past eight years, you guessed it- Buffalo.

Some stat cherry picker found a time frame that the Canucks had the worst record 4 years:

Canucks 124-196 .388

Buffalo 124-195 .389

So what does it all mean?  It’s fascinating that the upward progression that we are witnessing is forgotten because we had a terrible record from 2016 to 2018. 

Source: NHL standings and my excel spreadsheet.

Over the past eight years, for example the Canucks record 285- 319 .472 is comparable to the Maple Leafs 291 - 325 .472. Should be be planning the parade route too? :towel:

Not posting this out of disrespect TS. It’s just that the worst record over the past four years narrative rubs me the wrong way. There’s still a long way to go, but we are trending upwards.

3 hours ago, therodigy said:

Question: let's say, for the sake of argument, the Canucks squeak into the playoffs. Does Tanev, Sutter, and Roussel stay shut down, or do they potentially come back? Not sure how bad their injuries are, but mostly concerned about chemistry. Thoughts on the matter?

Go with what got you there....reward those who earned it and they will go to hell and back for you...idk same goes for Baer, chemistry is a finicky thing 

58 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

so Arizona lost to Florida... are we still in this race?

They’ve now lost 3 in a row.  They supposedly have an easy schedule but they might just be falling off a cliff.  With the tough schedules Chicago and Colorado have , it’s starting to look slightly better for us.  If we sweep the weekend we’re looking in really good shape

23 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

They’ve now lost 3 in a row.  They supposedly have an easy schedule but they might just be falling off a cliff.  With the tough schedules Chicago and Colorado have , it’s starting to look slightly better for us.  If we sweep the weekend we’re looking in really good shape

I don't think the aves schedule is that much tougher than ours.

Archived