The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lions, Tigers, and picks, Oh My!

whytelight

What is better?

Losing out and drafting 8th?

or

Preparing to win each and every game and drafting 12th?

In the last 5 years (1st round) the Jets have drafted (OA):

The Caps

Tampa

Does a winning and a "go for it" culture trump a high draft pick?   Does the battle for a playoff spot payoff in the long run?  Does the hope of a playoff berth feed the desire to improve rather than constantly be in the basement?

Just asking for thoughts here:

We do need more help for sure; and a high draft pick will help. The biggest miracle I hope for, even more so than the playoffs,  is we somehow get our hands on Jack Hughes and have the second coming of brothers in Vancouver.

But building a winning culture ( as I stated elsewhere) is vital for our rebuilding franchise. We can’t play to lose and enforce that on Brock, Bo and especially a hyper-competitor like Petey. Lose too much and it becomes expected and thus you become Edmonton (gross :sick: no thanks!!) and will be trapped in a endless rebuild. 

I hope we do well but it’s likely we’ll miss the playoffs. But I hope somehow we get a high draft pick but knowing our luck probably not.

21 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Just give me the high draft pick.  It's not like in five years anybody is going to be looking back at how important it was to miss the playoffs in 2019 by three points instead of eight.

Do we want to add another Hughes/EP to the lineup in two years or another McCaan/Gaunce in three?

Play as best as you can, finish were you finish, draft where you draft. 

It's pro #@$%'ing sports. 

As for the argument of drafting higher vs lower... Last year if we'd finished higher up the standings (as much as I LOVE Hughes), would anyone just hate having say.... Ty Smith instead if we'd just squeaked in to the playoffs?

I'd be pretty okay with it personally.

At this point the difference is almost certainly going to be the 7-12th picks.  Not a lot to choose between them really. Benning’s guy that he wants 6th could be available at 12.

The draft lottery percentages at that post are low enough to not make too much difference.  You are less likely to drop back at 12 than at 6.

If we start sitting our best players down the stretch in order to lose games, I hope that A) We win those games anyways, and B] Whoever we sit thinks to themselves "Hmm...Do I really want to be part of a franchise that pulls this kind of crap when we still have a shot at making the playoffs?" and requests a trade.

What if a uber high draft pick turns out to be a bust?  And can anyone tell me where pavel datysuk's original draft position was? Why gamble and risk a culture of losing as a norm and then having players not give a _ _ _ t?  That's the last thing this team needs right now.

I hope the team just plays their best and let the cards fall where they may and leave it at that which is going to happen anyway. There's no way management is going to tell the team to tank for the sake of a higher draft pick that may or may not work out. 

Play to win every night.  Leave it on the ice and let these young players learn from their mistakes.  

There are 3 guys that can break 30 goals this year, a goalie who deserves to have his team play to win in front of him and a culture to build.  

It is very hard to turn a loser mentality into a winning one.  If you get lucky and draft a Crosby... maybe.  Let the chips fall were they may if JB and Brackett are drafting.  They likely have a better sense of the board than those drafting ahead of us.  

Added plus, the lottery gods could smile upon us.  The draft is in Vancouver and Hughes is the big name on the board.  If the league does manipulate the results, this would be the year to do it in our favour.  

Also Brock was 23rd, Hughes was 7th, EP40 was 5th, Bo was 9th.  Jake was  a disappointing 6th so far.  Would like to see him play with the top 6, he has 14 goals and is on the 4th line atm.  

OJ has got to get healthy, IMO his play will validate the selection.  

We have good to great young players and we haven't had any success with the lottery.  Wasnt Barzal drafted out of the top ten?  

Does JB even care over much where he selects a player?  He does a but, but it's not like he wont be able to add to the youth and talent of this roster of he doesn't select in the top 3, like the Oilers.  

11 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Just give me the high draft pick.  It's not like in five years anybody is going to be looking back at how important it was to miss the playoffs in 2019 by three points instead of eight.

The players might. That's the whole point. Maybe not in five years, and they may not specifically think of these games, but going into this summer with a glimmer of hope that we, and by we I mean they, can flirt with the playoffs is a confidence boost that could have a bunch of morale boosts. Look at Edmonton, and to an extent Buffalo. Teams that are struggling so hard to win and have been rebuilding for years and years. Don't want to get into a habit of losing. 

Just play the game and draft where you fall. The lottery screws us over every year. I for one watch hockey in hopes of watching my team win...watching a bunch of intentional losers would just make me an oilers fan. All the first overalls in the world doesn’t make that fun. 

For the posters on team tank and lose for Hughes, how did that work out in 2016 when we finished 3rd last overall?  Oh yeah 2 teams jumped ahead of us, you know the ones that didn't fully tank, and we were left with the #5 overall where we took Olli Juolevi.  Of course that wasn't bad enough, as Matthew Tkachuk was taken one spot after at #6 and so the complaining that Benning screwed up the pick has been happening for the past 2 years.

Also, we totally tanked the proper way in 2017 finishing 2nd last overall but what happened?  Yeah 3 teams jumped ahead of us and we ended up with the #5 pick.  It kinda worked out anyways as we ended up with the best player in the draft in Petey, so that kinda turned out pretty well.  And last year even at #7 we ended up with a pretty good D prospect in Hughes.  Also, in 2017 the team that finished in 13th place ended up with the 2nd overall pick, so even if we win all of our games remaining and finish 12th there is still a chance we can draft Hughes, Kakko or Byram.

At the end of the day if we lose every one of our remaining games the odds are very high we will NOT be drafting Hughes or Kakko or Byram, so what does it matter if we finish 7th last or 12th?  The answer is it doesn't because Benning knows who he wants and chances are his guy will be available regardless of where we finish so the best case scenario is to try and win every single game with that 2% chance of making the playoffs.  And if we don't make the playoffs at least we have built a winning mentality with the kids we do have so we can go into next year with a positive attitude about our future.

As for the team tankers, it takes more that just winning the lottery and getting the high draft picks to succeed in the NHL.  If you don't believe me maybe ask an Edmonton fan how they feel about all of their HIGH draft picks and their "great" success with that philosophy...

Trust in the process. Our first will be in the top 15 and there will be lots of solid hockey prospects to pick in that range that will likely have a big impact on our team moving forward. Our second will also be a solid hockey prospect. Then with our remaining picks this is where it gets fun. This is when you try and find the diamond in the rough. 

I don't like putting so much emphasis on our first pick but rather on the success as a whole of a particular daft. 

Jake Virtanen may not be the Superstar everyone hoped for but Benning and co. still successfully picked 5 NHL caliber hockey players out of that draft. 

1. Jake Virtanen

2. Jared McCann

3. Thatcher Demko

4. Nikita Tryamkin

5. Gustav Forsling

If Benning, Bracket, and company can successfully pick at least 3 more NHL caliber hockey players out of the 2019 draft I will be happy with that. Draft position doesn't guarantee a Superstar NHL player. We lucked out with Pettersson and Boesser. I do hope we add a solid top 6 LW prospect and a solid RD prospect. 

I personally think we are in pretty good shape. We have put together a post Sedin era team that is strong down the middle and decent in goal tending. Our prospects are developing nicely and will replace a few of the aging players. If we still need to add 1 piece we can always overpay in free agency. 

11 hours ago, iceman64 said:

What if a uber high draft pick turns out to be a bust?  And can anyone tell me where pavel datysuk's original draft position was? Why gamble and risk a culture of losing as a norm and then having players not give a _ _ _ t?  That's the last thing this team needs right now.

I hope the team just plays their best and let the cards fall where they may and leave it at that which is going to happen anyway. There's no way management is going to tell the team to tank for the sake of a higher draft pick that may or may not work out. 

People need to stop using Datsyuk as an example.........there's a lot more to that story.

Archived