The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

fans get louder

just win

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

Thanks thats what I'm on about...Make it a fortress... Give your team an advantage...Make the fans proud of their team and able to show their support towards the team. 

Make the atmosphere electric... that's what real fans wants... 

One of my favourite parts about the NHL was all the different rinks, dimensions, idiosyncrasies with corners/boards/glass........GM's built teams to play a certain style, one that made good use of their home rink.  It was one of the things that made games and rivalries so much fun.  

The coliseum was intimidating to other teams because it was so steep that it felt like 17000 people were right on top of them and fans were rowdy as hell......... definitely a different clientele.

New rinks are pretty amazing and I'm excited to see the next round of new buildings and their technology, but I hope they think back and take some inspiration and personalize them a bit.

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

Couldn't agree more if i tried...

But I think a lot of it has got to do with the policing at Rogers... or at least according to other fans going to games...

@debluvscanucks am I right, you've been told to tone it down with the cow bell?

Others have also told stories about the stewards telling people to tone it down....

It's unfortunate, as Rogers should be turned in to a fortress, oppositions hate to come to.... and the home team loves...

You are absolutely correct.  

Rogers arena staff want everyone sitting in their seats and not making noise.  It's absolutely ridiculous. 

The sad thing is this has been an issue for years and nothing has been done to improve it. Now we are doing Vegas knock offs...get creative Vancouver Canucks owners and arena management.

Guess those high paying degrees can't teach you how to make a fun in game excperience for people paying top $ enter the doors....

9 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Then, Whitney Houston ? at a critical point in the game.  Seriously.  Two strikes should be out.

I know she may want to dance with somebody, but I want our rink to be a jungle.  Baby.

"Welcome to the jungle baby

we've got fun and games

We got everything you want honey,

we know the names

We are the people that can find whatever you may need

If you got the money, honey we got your disease

Watch it bring you to your shun n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n knees, knees"

55 minutes ago, NucksinNorway said:

Classic example of home ice advantage was after the sedin’s announced their retirement at the end of last season. The place went nuts those  games and we won. All the players said they fed off the energy of the crowd. What was it, two comeback wins? Go figure. 

This Nord gets it.

1 hour ago, NucksinNorway said:

Classic example of home ice advantage was after the sedin’s announced their retirement at the end of last season. The place went nuts those  games and we won. All the players said they fed off the energy of the crowd. What was it, two comeback wins? Go figure. 

I was there and I can tell you....that last home game they played in was the best I've ever been to.  Goosebumps.

Oddly enough....I only got to go to that game by way of a rude, obnoxious, bullying security guy who accosted me while I was IN MY SEAT (my son's got half seasons) ... was there alone, minding my own business in a blow out game where we were losing and people were becoming very rowdy and many were already leaving.

Why did he pick on me?  Because his drunk buddies said I was in their seats (it was right at the meeting of two sections)...I had my son's empty seat beside me...he'd opted out as we'd just had a very sudden/tragic family death in the family a month or so earlier and he wasn't feeling up to it (we'd gotten news of the incident while we were AT another game..so it stuck with him).

Anyhow, I had the entire crowd around me on my side....yelling at the guy that he was wrong but he still made me move.   Before this I'd been talking to the guy and his adult son next to me all game and the Dad was so infuriated by the "bouncer's" behaviour that he said "don't worry sweetheart, I've got your back" and led me down to report him/the incident. I was alone and it was super upsetting  so I was so relieved to have him step up.

The organization made it right and sent my son and I to the Sedins' last game so it's officially resolved for me.  And I've never seen that guy since (I look for him so I can avoid him).  When we reported him I had his name and a woman in charge looked at a map and said "he isn't even supposed to be in that section...what was he doing there?".  So I think he was trying to use his position there to get his buddies into the seats and I seemed like the easiest target and had an empty seat beside me.

Wrong.

Come on, stop blaming the staff... I've never heard anyone complaining when it comes to happy cheering for the home team. However, when there's a lot of alcohol and very strange behaviour added to it, well, then it has happened that the staff has asked guys to tone it down.

The reason it's more quiet than it used to be, is that we've been spoilt for many years at the top of the league, and now there's different times. Every fan base goes thru these cycles and I have to say that it's been getting sooo much better the last year, so I'm betting on that the home crowd just will keep on getting louder as long as the kids are progressing in the right direction.

There's no need for behaving badly. Just cheer for our Canucks and no one will say anything! :towel:

On 3/22/2019 at 5:28 PM, stawns said:

One of my favourite parts about the NHL was all the different rinks, dimensions, idiosyncrasies with corners/boards/glass........GM's built teams to play a certain style, one that made good use of their home rink.  It was one of the things that made games and rivalries so much fun.  

The coliseum was intimidating to other teams because it was so steep that it felt like 17000 people were right on top of them and fans were rowdy as hell......... definitely a different clientele.

New rinks are pretty amazing and I'm excited to see the next round of new buildings and their technology, but I hope they think back and take some inspiration and personalize them a bit.

I really liked the Pacific Colliseum, even the in last row of seats you felt close. Lately too the music they play is not that good for a hockey game.

I think it's a variety of factors but largely related to rising ticket prices. If you spend between $200-$500 on tickets, take kids, people want to have some level of "enjoyment control" of their experience for the price.

The more someone spends on tickets, the more they don't want their experience controlled by people screaming in their ear behind them. So just think how many times that has happened over the years at Rogers and the amount of complaints security gets for people to be quiet. It only takes a few complainers to set the tone for the many.

The high beer prices control the amount of people who could potentially be loud and over the top. If beer was $5 and under, you'd likely hear the crowd a lot more. Lol

A lot of people also get tickets through work or colleagues, networking, etc, so there's a certain professional responsibility that keeps people from being loud. They're representing their workplace or whoever gave them tickets.

Times have changed in this regard and the corporate vibe has also neutralized the "fanatic" part of the fan experience.

All of it has bred a much more insecure, fear based environment. 

On 3/22/2019 at 9:35 AM, Squamfan said:

The whole arena would get kicked out by security and it will be a empty arena match

I agree,  when you spend 10 years kicking out any fan that yells anything it’s going to be a while before the place gets loud again

5 hours ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

instead of complaining here, we should be sending emails and complaining to aquilini.. 

you pretty much have to say.. "Canuck fans arent going to purchase tickets if these nazi-like attitude from security keeps continuing"

PS: please get rid of this lady DJ , she is soo bad.

I'm a working DJ, I don't like to rag on other DJ's because it's tough to please everyone, especially 18K people of all ages etc at a hockey game, but my gawd how did that chick get the job??? She's horrendous. 

Archived