The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why the Canucks shouldn't make the playoffs (not about draft)

Boest-er

5 hours ago, Bertorama said:

Start playing farm and recently signed youth  players who have future potential and will gain experience for next season and maybe one player who just deserves a few games for all the hard work they put in with the young talent  down in Utica giving some rest to a few Canucks who played a long hard season. It helps grow for the future and keeps the team healthy heading Into next year. We don’t need playoff experience we need a healthy team. As our young players start to learn how to grind out a season winning and with out getting injured we will be better suited for playoff hockey. If we somehow keep winning games oh well ?! That’s good either way. 

There are only 4 regular recalls after the TDL.

The Canucks have already used 2 on Sautner and Brisebois when they papered them down for the AHL playoffs at the TDL.

Not sure how recalls work on the same player - do they count one for each time or is it just one.  Brisebois was sent back down a few days after the TDL and recalled a week later - that might have used up the 3rd recall.

Making the playoffs and getting flat out destroyed in 4 games isn’t a learning expericance it’s a set back and a confindence crusher. 

Yes it would be an achievemt and benning more than anyone would have a “we made the playoffs” parade since that seems to be his main goal. But personally I i don’t see any real gains can’t say I’m suprised or disappointed that we WONT be making the playoffs. 

Acquire picks build through the draft Build a cup contender not a 2nd wild card contender. 

10 minutes ago, combover said:

Making the playoffs and getting flat out destroyed in 4 games isn’t a learning expericance it’s a set back and a confindence crusher. 

Yes it would be an achievemt and benning more than anyone would have a “we made the playoffs” parade since that seems to be his main goal. But personally I i don’t see any real gains can’t say I’m suprised or disappointed that we WONT be making the playoffs. 

Acquire picks build through the draft Build a cup contender not a 2nd wild card contender. 

Who are you and what have you done with combover??????

20 minutes ago, combover said:

Making the playoff with a roster not ready for serious CUP play is great for the vanity of some fans who measure success in 4 and out. Dropping 4 or 5 draft positions is another bonus I guess. 4 and out provides lots of ammo for the group who cry for Benning's or Green's firing. Benning cn't win. 4 and out equals his inability to ice a playoff team and missing playoffs forces him to pull off another stellar draft session. Sorry but drafting at #6 instead of #12 does make a difference. Not just in the 1st Round but in the 2nd & 3rd as well. 

If not playing 4 playoff games crushes the young core of this group then JB made bigger mistakes than some on here have accused him of. Another solid draft should give the Canucks another 2 possible NHL'ers. Next year this club should make playoffs and the pieces should be in place for development towards serious CUP contention within 2 - 3 years. Time lines are just that, all about time passing towards a goal. Fans have to be comfortable about that.

2014 playoffs against Calgary showed a lack of physicality in the org that Benning tried to address but still has work to do. The team is getting bigger. Playoffs are not regular season. As much hot air that has been spent BS'ing around it the format will not change. It is open season on any perceived weakness in a club. In the Calgary series the Flamers went after Tanev and the Twins. Odds were strong that if Tanev was knocked out the d-core would fold. Whether it is EP40 or Quinn Hughes they will be targeted and the NHL will not protect them. Addressing this is one of the developmental aspects that have to be addressed over the next 2 - 3 years. Many want Ferland signed which is OK but I suspect the price and term will be to high for the basic job required.  

I love how many people fight tooth and nail over whether or not its better for the team to tank or make the playoffs, when really your opinion is irrelevant because the team is going to play how the team will play regardless of your opinion.

35 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Many want Ferland signed which is OK but I suspect the price and term will be to high for the basic job required.  

Couldn't agree more. It is likely that Ferland will be way too expensive for the role we want him to play. There are red flags around him as far as I am concerned. He has battled plenty of injuries this year and will be looking for 6M+/year in all likelihood. For what we need we can spend half that. The problem is there are fewer of the Torres/Neil type players around, Wilson and Reaves come to mind.

Money aside I think we would compliment our forward group well in a playoff series - which after this year we should be gearing towards. I would take Ferland on a 5 year/22.5-25M deal - but Ferland wouldn't take us on that. I don't think he should get paid more that Tom Wilson. The reality is that Ferland is a 15-20 goal guy who likely won't play a full season.

Boston has been rated as having the best drafting since 2003. And their continued success shows that.

How many high picks has Boston had? Not many.

Where did JB come from before Vancouver?

I want this team to win out! A high pick is a consolation prize for not making the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Sorry but drafting #6 instead of #12 does make a difference. Not just in the 1st Round but in the 2nd & 3rd as well. 

The draft is a crap shoot. Always has been, always will be. Just because a player is drafted high doesn't guarantee they'll be successful in the NHL and players taken with later selections sometimes go on to become franchise players. I think y'all put way too much emphasis on draft position.

12 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

II think team is a bit tougher with Pearson and Lievo at forward. They have added size with those two.  Still need to add lots of toughness IMO

They're not making the playoffs.   About 1% chance of that happening 

If they do it'll be great experience for them. They'll feel the playoff game and know what it takes. And I do agree with op that they'll take a lot of physical punishment.  

But not happening. Too far behind. 

Added size with those 2? They are literally both average/slightly under average NHL height/weight. 

15 hours ago, Boest-er said:

Hello CDC, long time reader rare poster. (also sorry I'm a terrible writer just wanted to post my thoughts out there)

I just felt like I needed to express something given our current situation of people wanting to make the playoffs and people who don't.

IMHO The Canucks shouldn't make the playoffs for one reason: They aren't tough enough/ don't stand up for each other,

Our team throughout this season has been getting hurt badly on the injury front with some players leaving due to cheap shots from other teams(where even the league didn't suspend them). Now if we make the playoffs I believe when the whistles are put away we are going to get hurt quite badly, and I don't want to see any of our young players getting injured and becoming scared of doing any risky maneuvers ever again(ala rushing the net). 

It could, in all honesty, help the team, by giving them a little glimpse into what they have to do in a playoff environment in order to survive, however, I don't think this experience is worth it compared to if some of our players are injured. 

TL;DR

team is too soft ATM, might get hurt badly when whistles are put away thus playoffs may end up hurting us in more ways than one.

Thanks for reading!

I came into this thread expecting a ridiculous diatribe...........I am not disappointed.

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Couldn't agree more. It is likely that Ferland will be way too expensive for the role we want him to play. There are red flags around him as far as I am concerned. He has battled plenty of injuries this year and will be looking for 6M+/year in all likelihood. For what we need we can spend half that. The problem is there are fewer of the Torres/Neil type players around, Wilson and Reaves come to mind.

Money aside I think we would compliment our forward group well in a playoff series - which after this year we should be gearing towards. I would take Ferland on a 5 year/22.5-25M deal - but Ferland wouldn't take us on that. I don't think he should get paid more that Tom Wilson. The reality is that Ferland is a 15-20 goal guy who likely won't play a full season.

ferland can be a legit top 6 winger and sheriff.  That's what he does, and he did it well riding shotgum for JG in Calgary.

3 hours ago, combover said:

Take Edmonton as an example. Do you think they were better off never making the playoffs with their youth, or do you think one small taste of a chance to win the cup would've done wonders for their confidence?

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

Added size with those 2? They are literally both average/slightly under average NHL height/weight. 

Zack MacEwen at 6'4 should get more than four games in a season to see if he is an NHL'er.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Making the playoff with a roster not ready for serious CUP play is great for the vanity of some fans who measure success in 4 and out. Dropping 4 or 5 draft positions is another bonus I guess. 4 and out provides lots of ammo for the group who cry for Benning's or Green's firing. Benning cn't win. 4 and out equals his inability to ice a playoff team and missing playoffs forces him to pull off another stellar draft session. Sorry but drafting at #6 instead of #12 does make a difference. Not just in the 1st Round but in the 2nd & 3rd as well. 

If not playing 4 playoff games crushes the young core of this group then JB made bigger mistakes than some on here have accused him of. Another solid draft should give the Canucks another 2 possible NHL'ers. Next year this club should make playoffs and the pieces should be in place for development towards serious CUP contention within 2 - 3 years. Time lines are just that, all about time passing towards a goal. Fans have to be comfortable about that.

2014 playoffs against Calgary showed a lack of physicality in the org that Benning tried to address but still has work to do. The team is getting bigger. Playoffs are not regular season. As much hot air that has been spent BS'ing around it the format will not change. It is open season on any perceived weakness in a club. In the Calgary series the Flamers went after Tanev and the Twins. Odds were strong that if Tanev was knocked out the d-core would fold. Whether it is EP40 or Quinn Hughes they will be targeted and the NHL will not protect them. Addressing this is one of the developmental aspects that have to be addressed over the next 2 - 3 years. Many want Ferland signed which is OK but I suspect the price and term will be to high for the basic job required.  

making the playoffs is always the priority and is never, ever a disappointment.  I can't even believe people would every say otherwise or cheer for their team not to make it.

Players don't play for draft position.  Period.

They play to perform their best - at least, that's what pros do.

There's nothing that can be done if this group decides it's going to continue winning games.

The team is a M.A.S.H. unit.

It's a replacement roster with a blueline made up of a #8 in the #3 slot - and three AHLers behind him - two rookies and one replacement level placeholder.

If this team can't "tank" - then it's out of everyone's hands.  Blame Green for getting too much out of a repeatedly depleted roster.

Blame Benning for too much serviceable depth.

Whatever.   Find a way to consider Benning a failure for both not yet contending and not sucking badly enough.

I personally can't be bothered to care.  If they win, I'm pleased for them, and enjoy watching competitive hockey.

If they lose and wind up losing the lottery again - that sounds about right.

Anyway - I'm nothing but impressed by what this team has done throughout the year.

To start - the relatively healthy group - could play with anyone - and were in the heart of it.

When they were insanely depleted - they went on a 12 game skid - but never let up their effort.

They came back from that and pushed themselves back into playoff contending.

They fell back again as the injuries and deadline deals further shallowed the roster.

And yet, even with this half-roster, they're once again pushing into contention.

Don't hear much whining about Green's "systems" lately, do we?

The guy deserves to be in the Jack Adams conversation.

And the few healthy guys -  like Horvat, Motte, Stecher - have been simply outstanding all along - and I'd add some kudos to LE, who has played almost exclusive shutdown this season, at 38.4% ozone starts for the season (11 goals and 27 pts is not that bad in that role/context).

14 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Refs let Ferland run wild against us in that playoff series.  Deliberate attempts at charging went unpenalized.

Thats true, the same way EP could draw three or more penalties a game and but the refs let things go...even more in the playoffs.  Boston did in to us too, we still had 2-1 more PPs than they did, just couldn’t score on Thomas.  Been this way for as long as I’ve watched hockey, it’s a tactic that works but can also blow up in your face if a teams PP is good.   With this roster I’d fear for EPs health, especially if we win some games, he will be targeted, same with Boeser.  Horvat can take care of himself so no worries in that department.

You never really know ... maybe IF we make it and they start running EP and or Markstrom, the entire team sticks up for each other and it becomes a pivotal moment for them.  That would be my hope anyways, haven’t seen enough of it yet but eventually they need to step up, and a playoff setting might be the best medicine at this point.  SJ or CAL in the first round is a tough opponent no matter how you cut it.   Odds are nothing will happen and our playoff aspirations will be done soon...

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Take Edmonton as an example. Do you think they were better off never making the playoffs with their youth, or do you think one small taste of a chance to win the cup would've done wonders for their confidence?

To play devil's advocate they did have that taste when they made it to the 2nd round 3 years ago. They have missed playoffs the 2 years since.

Archived