The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Do we try and trade for Hughes if the lottery isn't in our favor?

It's no secret that every Canuck fan would absolutely love to get Hughes on our team to pair with his brother. But if we don't win Hughes and we pick 7-9, do we make a big push to move up?

How much would you give up? Me personally, I'd do Horvat+Juolevi+Goldobin+7-9 for Hughes. It would probably take Horvat+Boeser+7-9 to get it done, and i think id really consider it. Yes that is a hell of a lot to give up, but i would personally take the gamble. It would give us Pettersson and Hughes as a deadly 1-2, and Hughes leading our backend. Itd be like if Crosby and Malkin, or McDavid and Draisitl had Karlsson (hopefully). That gives us 2 top end centers, and a top offensive defencman. We would have plently of young talent still and we would also have more prospects after this draft.

Maybe with Pettersson and Hughes, we can actually take a run at Panarin. Hard to imagine he wouldn't be interested in being paired with any of those 2. Can we get Tryamkin back? I think he's very under rated and would be a perfect pairing for Hughes. Hughes is an offensive defenceman that loves to pinch and take chances in the offensive zone, and Tryamkin is a master of breaking up and defending odd man rushes. Tryamkin is also pretty fast and will surprise you with some end to end rushes himself. If Tryamkin gets more physical he will be a monster and no team will want to face him, especially in a playoff series.

So if we managed to pull of my proposed trade, signed Panarin, and got Tryamkin back, our lines next year could look like.

Line 1

----------------------------------

Panarin Pettersson Virtanen

Line 2

Goldobin Hughes Leivo

Line 3

Eriksson Sutter Granlund

Line 4

Roussel Beagle Motte

Depth

Schaller/Gaudette/McEwen/other prospects

Pairing 1A

Edler Tanev

Pairing 1B

Hughes Tryamkin

Pairing 3

XXXXXX Stecher

Depth

Pouliot/Hutton/Biega/Juolevi/Teves/Brisebois/Sautner/Woo?

Goaltending

Markstrom (?)

Demko

Depth (?)

Power play units.

Panarin Pettersson Hughes

Hughes Stetcher

Goldobin Sutter Virtanen

Edler XXXXX

Yea Horvat is going to be a hell of a 2C and Boeser has 30g-50g potential. I don't know if I'd for sure pull the trigger, but man getting Hughes would be huge, and if we can keep Pettersson and Hughes and still get him that will have us look ing at a very bright future. It may slow down our rebuild by a year, but I don't think it will delay thing much. Hughes brothers might start slow the first year or 2 but they are going to become stars very quickly, especially paired together. 

Wouldn't it be nice to just 1 time get lucky and win Hughes. Like just imaging this lineup in 2-3 years...

Panarin Pettersson Boeser

Goldobin Hughes Virtanen

XXXXXX Horvat XXXXXX

McEwen Gaudette Gadjovich

Hughes Tryamkin

Juolevi Stecher

XXXXXX Woo

Demko

UFA/DiPietro

PP1 :o

Panarin Hughes Pettersson

Hughes Boeser

PP2

Goldobin Horvat Virtanen

Juolevi Stecher

Man I really want Hughes, preferably for free LOL. this offseason is going to be a very interesting one for sure. Do you guys think we make a hard push for him if we don't win 1st OA? If so, how much do you think we should be willing to offer?

8 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

no way sutter and granlund will be around if we get hughes

petey hughes gaudette beagle as our centers 

not way id trade boeser to move 6 spots up  id tgink hard bout horvat and 7th overall for 1st tho otherwise not a chance in hell

I'd trade Horvat and 7th in a heartbeat for Hughes, and I'm a HUGE Horvat fan

Does he play the wing? From what I understand he's a centre, which we don't need. I'd love to get the brothers together, but we're stacked with our top 2 centres already and don't need anymore top 6 centres. EP is obviously 1st C quality and I'd contend that Horvat is also a 1C, but more of a low-end 1C. We could definitely use more great wingers though on the top two lines.

Horvat is a winner and the teams' workhouse I cannot see trading him as a long-term benefit.

I would rather dangle any of Juolevi, Virtanen, Gaudette, Hutton, Stecher, Demko

Probably not enough though, acquiring another all-star brother combo is a dream :(   I will resort to just repeating the following in hopes it will come true;

It's our year to get lucky and move up at the draft It's our year to get lucky and move up at the draft It's our year to get lucky and move up at the draft It's our year to get lucky and move up at the draft It's our year to get lucky and move up at the draft It's our year to get lucky and move up at the draft It's our year to get lucky and move up at the draft It's our year to get lucky and move up at the draft It's our year to get lucky and move up at the draft It's our year to get lucky and move up at the draft It's our year to get lucky and move up at the draft It's our year to get lucky and move up at the draft 

1 hour ago, Brock Botanen said:

How much would you give up? Me personally, I'd do Horvat+Juolevi+Goldobin+7-9 for Hughes. It would probably take Horvat+Boeser+7-9 to get it done, and i think id really consider it. Yes that is a hell of a lot to give up, but i would personally take the gamble.

You don't sound much of a Horvat fan if you'd be willing to part with him that easily. 

Your giving up a 60 point guy AND a 7th for an unknown. 

Too risky especially if the 7th - 9th became something. I don’t think we have much left that can get it done unfortunately.

Best I would do is Horvat or Boeser, not both.

ONE OF diepetro, markstrom, or Demko.

2nd or gaudette 

3rd.

If that’s not enough, then no. Maybe I would throw in something useless that might have some value to another Dim Jim type like baerschi or motte but that’s as far as I would go. 

4 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I believe Dach will better than Hughes.......so no.

Hughes has the offensive prowess like no other in this draft, but Dach’s hockey IQ is way superior than Hughes at both ends of the ice.

Isn’t Dach like the riskiest most Virtanen type in the top 10? I could be wrong but he is the same guy who had an unbelievable start in the first quarter and then sucked the other 3? 

You want to trade one of the most cap friendly Centres AND 7th overall for a question mark?

Hard pass. Glad you're not our GM :towel:

All due respect to J.Hughes, he could end up as a bust. I'm no pro scout, but giving up Boeser and/or Horvat + first draft pick for an unknown (NHL level) seems like a VERY big gamble. Remember when every one wanted Hischier or Patrick?

If we're picking within top 7, I'd say we keep it and draft the best possible. Can explore trading up (IF it doesn't cost the core of our team) if we're below top 10. 

18 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Isn’t Dach like the riskiest most Virtanen type in the top 10? I could be wrong but he is the same guy who had an unbelievable start in the first quarter and then sucked the other 3? 

Yeah, he did have a huge slump, something like 5 points in 15 games, only scoring one goal during that span, but he does so much more than just putting up points. He kind of reminds me of Jason Spezza, who battled consistently early on in his career, but turned out to be a pretty damn good player.

It’s a big bold prediction, but I’m going to stand by it. Dach is one of those guys that will win at any will.

EDIT: Maybe Spezza was a bad comparison. I will probably say more like Sean Couturier.

30 minutes ago, crazycry said:

All due respect to J.Hughes, he could end up as a bust. I'm no pro scout, but giving up Boeser and/or Horvat + first draft pick for an unknown (NHL level) seems like a VERY big gamble. Remember when every one wanted Hischier or Patrick?

If we're picking within top 7, I'd say we keep it and draft the best possible. Can explore trading up (IF it doesn't cost the core of our team) if we're below top 10. 

lol Pettersson maybe the best player in the hischier draft.. but you are really calling hischier a bust? lmao so a 20 year old with 100 points in 2 season missing his top winger for 40+ games this season is a bust? 

Archived